StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made quite a few additions and improvements to the bike since I got it. Sorry about the multiple threads but I will split out the different farkles so it is easier for others to find it in a search.

I originally really wanted a yellow V-strom but I got the black one here for a great price.
I really like the combination of black and yellow so I figured I would try to add a little color to the bike.
I got some in-expensive vinyl wrap with fake carbon fiber graphics.
I really like how it makes the bike look.
However the quality of the application left some to be desired. :thumbdown:
It was just tough to get the vinyl wrapped around the shape of the piece.

Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas on how to add a little color to the bike.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You used a heat gun (or hair dryer) to wrap around the corners, right?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looks good -- matches my hi-viz tourmaster gear!

I agree with removing the factory stripes as a potential next move.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You used a heat gun (or hair dryer) to wrap around the corners, right?
Yes - heat gun.
But it was still kind of tough as there are some pretty sharp corners on this part. I has issues with the vinyl sticking together where I folded over from the corner.

I used the heat gun to get the vinyl into the recessed mounting bolt hole but the bolt ripped the vinyl in this area so it shows as a black spot.

I did just order 2 used side panels so I will probably try out with a good automotive paint on those to get a better finish.

I will look at the decals. Scares me a little taking the expensive factory decals off but they really are not that pretty. And it probably will not have much impact on any resale value. I do expect to run this bike for a long time so I guess I shouldn't worry about resale value. :yesnod:

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's never easy trying to wrap something like that. I recovered an old guitar amp not along ago and ran into the same problems.
I agree about ditching the decals. They look pretty tacky- white on black. What were they thinking?

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
Your garage seems entirely too clean, how do you get anything done if the tools and such and scattered all over the place?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your garage seems entirely too clean, how do you get anything done if the tools and such and scattered all over the place?
Well, it wasn't always like this.
I was fortunate enough to have one of my long time dreams come through last summer. I was finally able to build the garage I always wanted.
I had the dirt work and foundation done but otherwise I built everything myself from framing, finishing, siding and roofing.
Now I have a 28'x40' garage where everything is nicely organized.
I have some storage and a 19' boat in there but otherwise it is a project garage.
I actually earned most or all of the money I spent on the Wee by rebuilding and painting trailers and fixing up a boat. That is one of my hobbies that also earns me a few bucks.

·
Administrator
18,212 Posts
Get those warning stickers off first, it will look better already. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I was really liking the yellow color accent but I was not happy with my wrapping job.
I was able to buy 2 inexpensive side panels and decided to paint them instead of wrapping them. I also took the panel out of the rear box to paint it to match.

Again not quite as good as I wanted it to, but it is acceptable for now and it kind of breaks up all the black.
I also removed the stock emblems - they were just too big and flat in color. I replaced them with a raised chrome accent set as seen here.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
lose the Suzuki graphics

I made my own and had loads of fun making up stories about hat was really real.

Or what was really fake

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
If Dr. Frankenstein had designed a bike instead of a monster.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would put yellow tape on the wheel rims. It's cheep and fairly easy to apply.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts