Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any bike sold as a dualsport should have a skidplate as standard equipment. Especially one with vulnerable parts mounted low and unprotected like the V-Strom. I was nervous just riding my 2005 DL650 on gravel roads while I waited for my mail ordered SW-Motech crashbars and skidplate to arrive.

I like the stock skidplate on my 1990 Suzuki DR650. The V-Strom is great bike though.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Some of us consider them standards rather than dual sports. I'd like to see a stock centerstand, slightly shorter travel suspension with heavier spring rates, and street tires.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You have to have an extremely liberal definition of the term to call a V-Strom a "dual-sport". I'd venture that 75% of Stroms have never seen more off-road than a gravel driveway.

- Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
just like 99% of the cadillac escalades have not been off-road either....

at least, we're doing better than 10 MPG

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
My 650 will rarely see anything but paved roads, I liked it and bought it for the seating position and size so I would have a little room to move around on it.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I was in a huge arguement when I stated it's not a Dual Sport :roll: At least it's not listed that way on Suzuki Canada's website :?: . I would ride my VS800 & VS1400 anywhere I would take the Strom. One former lady friend lived down a gravel road, so I am quite familiar with riding on bad roads. I don't ever plan on "single track" riding however as I use my bike as basic transport, and don't want to destroy it needlessly. If I want to get into offroading on a bike, Ill buy something better suited to the task

markjenn said:
You have to have an extremely liberal definition of the term to call a V-Strom a "dual-sport". I'd venture that 75% of Stroms have never seen more off-road than a gravel driveway.

- Mark

J

·
0 Posts
G,day All, I had a DR650 before the Wee & I took that bike on many dirt tracks nothing to serious thou even that bike I think was pretty heavy, if you want to get really off the beaten track & in the scrub I would go for a lot lighter bike maybe a 250cc bike.

I have taken the Wee on a couple of dirt tracks its ok if its packed down but if its loose & alot of bull dust about it's just to heavy,especilly when the front wheel is all over the place.!!

Also I think Suzuki has always been a bit skimpy on the basic stuff !! they say its keeping the price of the bike down but when you buy the the stuff like centre stand, hand guards, bigger windscreen etc, its exspensive especially if you have it fitted at the bike shop.

You guy's who have replaced your tyres on the strom's have you replaced them with the same size tyre?.

Reply soon JULIAN.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts