StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying with the idea of flying to a warm climate to rent a bike for a three to four day trip. Living in Upstate N.Y., the winters are long and cold. Any suggestions for a short four or five day trip. Maybe east coast but warm enough for riding.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
Bike Week Daytona...….early March. (Altho, can be cold down there in March too.....I have been very lucky the last 12-14 yrs I have gone = no rain to speak of). Lots of people say it is too crowded, cruiser crowd, yadda-yadda...…..all true, but I still have fun year after year. typically warm weather, seafood, lots of vendors and manufacturers, races, bike shows, etc.....PM me if you need more info. I'm not sure who rents bikes down there, but sure one of the dealers does.

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
Lots of good choices $

In a week and a bit I'm flying down to Phoenix, Arizona. I love Arizona! My daughter now lives in Tucson. I'm renting a Yamaha super Tenere for 5 days while there. So while she is working I'll just go ride around. I like steam engines and there are several static displays and active ones in the general area so gives me nice little excuses for day trips.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Florida is flat and boring, agree you should head out Southwest at minimum "NM/AZ" or head to NV and possibly some into CA? Texas hill country is also wonderful, temps are damn perfect this time of year though.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's opinion. My son lives in Orange County, so a trip out West sounds good. I may fly into L.V., and then ride to California- have to look at a map and do some research.

If I don't have that much time and have to stay on East coast, I will have to decide what's best.

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Tucson. Tour the AFB boneyard, visit the "old Tucson" movie set where so many westerns were made and go south east over great winding roads full of giant cacti to Tombstone. Walk the O.K. corral and boot hill. Lester Moore, 4 slugs from a .44, no Lester, no more. 🤣

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you decide on Vegas, there's a Triumph dealer there that is an Eagle Rider affiliate with some nice rental bike choices (in case you don'r want to rent a Harley). We rented there, and headed out of Vegas, through Red Rock Canyon National Park, then on to Tecopa, California, and then into Death Valley...which was spectacular.

I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but here is a shared Google Drive folder with just a few pics from the trip:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Southern Pennsylvania is going to be 65 degrees today and tomorrow then 50's most of next week. Just ride down then ride around.

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Why ride in the 50's and places he's likely been, when he can explore elsewhere and it be in the 70's/80's? :)

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
If you decide on Vegas, there's a Triumph dealer there that is an Eagle Rider affiliate with some nice rental bike choices (in case you don'r want to rent a Harley). We rented there, and headed out of Vegas, through Red Rock Canyon National Park, then on to Tecopa, California, and then into Death Valley...which was spectacular.

I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but here is a shared Google Drive folder with just a few pics from the trip:
Nothing to offer but wanted to say great pics, @ScottKY.

·
Vendor
4,711 Posts
With that motorcycle owner rental program that I can't remember the name of you can pretty much pick your destination and then find a bike. Wasn't like that in the old days. You can go on fantastic rides in the summer. Might be a good oppurtunity to just get away from the cold and use a motorcycle while your these kind of vacation. Daytona to Key west. Yes it is flat, but still interesting and warm.

Or you could go to Belize and then give all us old guys a report on the country!

·
Registered
129 Posts
My friend in Florida is meeting me in Leeds, AL in early April. He says the mountain riding there is great, and we'll take in the Barber museum while we're there. Not much to rent there, so I'm trailering my Strom. April in Ohio, as in NY, is a little iffy. Best, DD

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am toying with the idea of flying to a warm climate to rent a bike for a three to four day trip. Living in Upstate N.Y., the winters are long and cold. Any suggestions for a short four or five day trip. Maybe east coast but warm enough for riding.
I live in Upstate too (near Rome). The best winter breaks I ever took were two trips to New Zealand, in consecutive years. Rented a bike both times. There is just something about NZ that makes it a perfect place (for my tastes) to visit and ride.

·
Super Moderator
13,083 Posts
Tucson. Tour the AFB boneyard, visit the "old Tucson" movie set where so many westerns were made and go south east over great winding roads full of giant cacti to Tombstone. Walk the O.K. corral and boot hill. Lester Moore, 4 slugs from a .44, no Lester, no more. 🤣
Unfortunately it was too late to book the tour as it was all booked. We will be going to the air and space museum though.
Been to Tombstone before (about 5 years ago I think) and appreciate if you have suggestions for any particular winding roads that head there.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Ditto on Vegas!
A few of us around that can direct or keep you company for several different trips out of here.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
4,513 Posts
Unfortunately it was too late to book the tour as it was all booked. We will be going to the air and space museum though.
Been to Tombstone before (about 5 years ago I think) and appreciate if you have suggestions for any particular winding roads that head there.

..Tom
We just passed through in a hire car and mostly stayed on the seal. Sierra Vista to Tombstone was a great drive with terrain you will not see up north. Surely heaps more. Google maps?

I just looked and the Tonto National Forest NE of Phoenix looks like a good ride.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts