StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proposed commencement date Friday 13th April 2012.

:fineprint:Is there any interest in this proposed ride. If I don’t get any takers I will be riding solo.

I am commencing Kyogle/Woodenbong first night Nindigully pub approximately $20 a bed for the night or camping great food it will be a long day the first day but worth it when you ride into the Nindi Pub. That night you can orderbreakfast but you need to cook it yourself the next morning or wait until we ride into St George for fuel about 46kms away.

After leaving St George ride south to Dirranbandi and onto Hebel on the NSW/QLD border then and can stop at Lighting ridge for the night or for a hour or so and then onto either Walgett or Collarenebri for the night. Haven't sourced accommodation for night 2 as yet.

Day 3 travelling east to Moree then onto Glen Innes for the night or can continue home.

As I said nothing in concrete as yet can be altered if need be. Either a 2 or up to 4 day ride depending on what the general concenus is.

Accommodation can also be a swag or a tent depending on your preference. Fuel shouldn't be a problem, need to carry own water/drinks snacks for the day.

There will be regular stops to ensure not to much fatigue sets in, will be leisurely ride mostly bitumen there might be some road works where there is dirt or gravel. If you have never been west before you will see different landscapes and meet the locals some of the local business are worth a look. Besides the nostalgia of the pubs River Sands Winery at St George, The local artist who carves emu eggs etc, and then onto Lighting Ridge for opal tours etc if so interested.

I can email a mud map of the route roughly broken down into each day. If interested send me a PM and include your email.

Cheers
Brett

·
Registered
351 Posts
Good on ya mate, I wont be able to come as it is my wedding anniversary on the 16 and have a overnight ride planned with the miss's but hope you have fun and get some takers. Well all have to catch up soon for a day ride and a chin wag :yesnod:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have marked this on the calendar Brett. Can't commit 100% but seeing as I don't have an excuse to get away for a Vstrom gathering this year it is looking promising.
Could meet you at Goondiwindi if you are going that way otherwise at Nindigully. I worked at Walgett back in the late eighties for a couple of years and havn't been back for about 20 so it will be good to go back to that area and have a look around.
Another alternative for the 2nd night is the Junction City Hotel at Burren, they also have hot bore baths near by. Probably a bit out of the way but just a thought.
We can discuss it further at the Bingara gathering.
Ian

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have marked this on the calendar Brett. Can't commit 100% but seeing as I don't have an excuse to get away for a Vstrom gathering this year it is looking promising.
Could meet you at Goondiwindi if you are going that way otherwise at Nindigully. I worked at Walgett back in the late eighties for a couple of years and havn't been back for about 20 so it will be good to go back to that area and have a look around.
Another alternative for the 2nd night is the Junction City Hotel at Burren, they also have hot bore baths near by. Probably a bit out of the way but just a thought.
We can discuss it further at the Bingara gathering.
Ian
Ian I am open to different destinations after the first night, at one stage I was even looking at riding out to Noccundra. Depending on if any one comes will depend on which way I go. When I ride solo I have a rough plan and that leaves me open to take a detour and or stop as often as I like. I will be going thru Goodiwindi as I fill up at the Caltex, from Inglewood end I turn right before you get to Maccas @ Gundi.

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Keen.

Hey mate I'm pretty keen for a 4 day ride. I will put a leave form in today.
Will let u know, shouldn't have any problems.
Cheers,

Stu

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ride to the ridge of opal and about

Good to see a few starters for this ride commencing Friday 13 April. Group meeting point with the boys from Bingara on Friday 13 will be caltex roadhouse Boundary Road, Goondiwindi at approximatley 1:30pm.

Roughly 2 hr ride to nindigully pub for the first night. Please ensure you book a room in advance $20 a single unless you are camping:fineprint:.

I have my bike booked in on Friday 30 March to check and see if there are any issues and a service. Hoping nothing major or I will be :furious:.

:thumbup:Starters so far:

Ian - Strom, Steve - Strom and Mark - green spaceship from Bingara
Stu - Strom from Brisbane
Leon - BMW 800 a maybe
Myself - Strom

anyone else welcome to come along.

Cheers

Brett

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just rang the Nindi pub to book some accommodation and was told they have a wedding on the 13th April and all rooms are booked, so it looks like we will have to pack the camping gear. She did say that the kitchen and bar will still be open for the general public.
Looking forward to it
Cheers Ian

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Friday 13

I just rang the Nindi pub to book some accommodation and was told they have a wedding on the 13th April and all rooms are booked, so it looks like we will have to pack the camping gear. She did say that the kitchen and bar will still be open for the general public.
Looking forward to it
Cheers Ian
The wedding party must be staying there Friday night as the wedding is on Saturday. Should we stay another day - um never crashed a wedding before.

Cheers

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ahh, so the wedding is not until Saturday, when I asked if there was any accom available Friday I was told it was all booked out for the wedding. Although the young lass did have a foreign accent so I may have missed something in the translation.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wedding party

:mod_lol::mod_lol::mod_lol: I'll have to leave them for you young single blokes.
Ian you dont know how old the bride is yet, I think I will leave it alone also it could be a same sex wedding.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Bike has been serviced

I took the bike in for its service, I am glad I did before the long ride out in a couple of weeks nothing major.

Thanks Ian for the heads up in relation to the fuel filter. They pulled the tank off and replaced the filter/strainer and removed a heap of crap, done the oil change which it needed badly and it did have an oil leak, which is from the output shaft seal which sits in behind the front sprocket. Not major slight weeping.

Wanted new tyres as well but they couldn't get them in today plus they were going to be $100 more than what I wanted to pay. So I have ordered them thru another bike shop back in Kyogle, he will have them on Wednesday next week. I bought Shinko's front $149 Rear $189 fitted, I think they are the 705's which are 75% road 25% trail.

Anyhow not long to go, a couple of short weeks, this time in a fortnight I will be nearing the Nindi pub.

I will be taking a plate and some cutlery etc in case we stop somewhere overnight and eat at the camp. If we are going to stop at Lightning ridge for the night and camp at the CP or similar do you want to pool some money for a small shop at LR for dinner and drinks. The minister for war and finance has me on a budget seeing as how I also need new tyres.

Anyhow chat before then, I think Stu is planning on meeting me here at home either thursday night or early friday morning. I haven't heard from Leon who owns a BMW 800, he was interested but hasn't committed to starting. We will ride out to legume down the Mt lindsay turn right onto Wylie Creek rd and head towards Marylands onto Stanthorpe out towards texas and thru Yelarbon and onto Gundy. I haven't worked out a start time from here at this stage but will ensure we meet somewhere. As we get closer can we PM mobile phone numbers just in case.

Ok catch you all later

Brett

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ian you dont know how old the bride is yet, I think I will leave it alone also it could be a same sex wedding.
You know the story, a bride never picks bridesmaids who will out shine her......or him :jawdrop:.... nah this is rural QLD we are talking about.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm glad to hear you have got the bike sorted, that's a good price for tyres, a lot cheaper than the tourances. I will have to give the bike a once over in the next week also to make sure everything is OK.
I will throw in a plate and cuttlery just in case. If you are on a tight budget the food at Nindi pub is quite expensive, but you do get plenty of it.
I will send a pm with phone numbers.
Ian

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Meals

I'm glad to hear you have got the bike sorted, that's a good price for tyres, a lot cheaper than the tourances. I will have to give the bike a once over in the next week also to make sure everything is OK.
I will throw in a plate and cuttlery just in case. If you are on a tight budget the food at Nindi pub is quite expensive, but you do get plenty of it.
I will send a pm with phone numbers.
Ian
I am not missing out on a meal a Nindi, thats why I like going out that way. The other nights I am not fussed.

Cheers

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Good to see a few starters for this ride commencing Friday 13 April. Group meeting point with the boys from Bingara on Friday 13 will be caltex roadhouse Boundary Road, Goondiwindi at approximatley 1:30pm.

Roughly 2 hr ride to nindigully pub for the first night. Please ensure you book a room in advance $20 a single unless you are camping:fineprint:.

I have my bike booked in on Friday 30 March to check and see if there are any issues and a service. Hoping nothing major or I will be :furious:.

:thumbup:Starters so far:

Leon - BMW 800 a maybe
Myself - Strom

anyone else welcome to come along.

Cheers

Brett
Starters so far:

Myself - Strom

Leon - BMW 800 a maybe - I haven't heard from Leon for a couple of weeks

Mitch - Brisbane a maybe - new to the forum, just got back into riding keen to do some touring.

I will catch up with everyone hopefully over the easter break.

cheers

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update Friday night accommodation

Friday night at Nindy pub I have secured with Debbie the owner accommodation for us in the General store it has been converted into like a bunk house type thing. It shouldn't be anymore than $20pp for the night. Single accomodation only I think.

I hope everyone is ok with this.

Cheers

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Friday night at Nindy pub I have secured with Debbie the owner accommodation for us in the General store it has been converted into like a bunk house type thing. It shouldn't be anymore than $20pp for the night. Single accomodation only I think.

I hope everyone is ok with this.

Cheers

Boys we cant do any better than this please read info from Debbie at the pub.

Hi Brett,
There is 5 bunk beds in the store so these will all be available for you,
The charge is $10 a bed.Nothing flash but they are clean.
You can park your bikes in the back yard also as this is what most of the other bike riders
do too.

Also Mitch from Brisbane has conformed as a starter. He will meet at the Caltex Gundy.

Cheers boys cant wait

C U All then Cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts