StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
If you are a solo rider, remove your rear footpegs and brackets. Easy way to save 9lbs. Happy riding.
I am a solo rider. My rear pegs and the brackets that they are bolted to, are my highway pegs. I rest my feet on them anytime I am riding on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
My rears are coming off as well........the left one has been converted to a gas can holder. The right will come off too.......my rear ammo can panniers will serve as crash bars to protect the muffler.......every little bit of weight helps when fully-loaded down. :thumbup:

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
1) Just fill your tires with helium.
2) remove the front wheel/forks and ride wheelies
3) replace battery with lithium unit
4) lose weight
5) ride around with a maximum of 4 gallons

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
How are you guys resting your feet on the back pegs?
I used to do it all the time on my 81 GS1100 (zuki), but it's really uncomfortable on the wee, with tthem being higher up and wider out (that and they're friggin hard to find).

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Got pics?
Glenn
This was my first attempt.........clone to the BestRestProducts Gas Can Toter.
I felt the gallon jug (I could not find anything smaller in plastic gas cans??) was overkill.........sold it to an inmate here.

This is what I have now........hard to see, no better shots of it (yet). It holds two MSR bottles (or one MSR bottle and a water bottle). I like it since it carries the weight down low......out of the way too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I felt the gallon jug (I could not find anything smaller in plastic gas cans??) was overkill.........sold it to an inmate here.

This is what I have now........hard to see, no better shots of it (yet). It holds two MSR bottles (or one MSR bottle and a water bottle). I like it since it carries the weight down low......out of the way too.
Thanks, Mark. I agree about sizes, I never saw anything between the MSR bottles and one gallon (5 litre up here, actually).

I did this last summer:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/738672-post33.html

Worked OK, but was low enough so that I would catch my foot between the can and the ground if I got careless. Version 2.0 will be higher and more tucked in.

Glenn

·
Registered
490 Posts
How are you guys resting your feet on the back pegs?
I used to do it all the time on my 81 GS1100 (zuki), but it's really uncomfortable on the wee, with tthem being higher up and wider out (that and they're friggin hard to find).
I find the hardest part is flipping them down while underway. I use them for a change of position from time to time on the open road. You need to lean forward a bit more (some flexibility helps) to use them.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Thanks, Mark. I agree about sizes, I never saw anything between the MSR bottles and one gallon (5 litre up here, actually).
Version 2.0 will be higher and more tucked in.
Glenn
Looks good Glenn.......I figure my two mdeium-sized MSR bottles are only good for an extra 30 miles on the vstrom.......enough to keep me out of trouble in the Lower 48, but probably not in Alaska/Canada (someday!!).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Question, is 9 lbs all that important? If it is then I would lose 9 lbs before I would cut off a feature of a bike. About a year ago I was listening to a Gixxer rider that was drilling holes in all wacky places on the 750 gixxer to lose a few ounces here and there. I had to laugh inside. He weighed about 275 & he was like 5'8.

·
Registered
237 Posts

I hope you REALLY make sure you have the right bottle when thirsty!:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts