StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Jenny into work this morning. At the 495/Rt. 5 interchange, I pulled next to a long line of cars waiting on the light to change. The light turns green, traffic starts to move, the Dodge Ram on my left punches it, and his tailgate drops down. Out slides a bicycle of some flavor (mountain bike, I think) and smacks into the asphalt, shedding parts and pieces. I'm a car length ahead of him on his right and check my mirror in time to see porpoising cages all over the place trying to avoid that damned bike. I thanked the Motorcycle Gods I wasn't behind this clown and motored on.

Stay alert, Ladies and Gents! You folks keep me sane, and I don't wanna lose any of you out there! ;)

Whistler

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Took Jenny into work this morning. At the 495/Rt. 5 interchange, I pulled next to a long line of cars waiting on the light to change. The light turns green, traffic starts to move, the Dodge Ram on my left punches it, and his tailgate drops down. Out slides a bicycle of some flavor (mountain bike, I think) and smacks into the asphalt, shedding parts and pieces. I'm a car length ahead of him on his right and check my mirror in time to see porpoising cages all over the place trying to avoid that damned bike. I thanked the Motorcycle Gods I wasn't behind this clown and motored on.

Stay alert, Ladies and Gents! You folks keep me sane, and I don't wanna lose any of you out there! ;)

Whistler
Lucky mother-frakker!!!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah, I got smacked by a piece of cardboard that flew out the back of a pickup. No permanent damage. A bicycle would be tough to roll over.

And Stromday, are you sure you're not the 12th model?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Saw much the same thing years ago. Pick-up with no tailgate launches when green. Out slides a V-8 small block. Nobody stopped to offer help reloading. Also saw the remains of a mountain bike that came off a bike carrier/minivan at highway speeds. No common sense anymore. Tie your stuff down for safety's sake.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
In Washington State now it's a $260 fine if the cops see you with "unsecured load" and some kinda huge fine and perhaps jail time if stuff comes out and causes accident or injury. Good.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

Whistler
Yup, cars will do anything to avoid trash( or a bike) in the road but think nothing of driving tight up against us, or cutting in front of us! I doubt that a bicycle would do less damage to their cars then a 450 pound motorcycle. I work down at Trade Zone on Rt 3 near Upper Marlboro and riding into work is a crap shoot everytime. Too many "point and drive" drivers down here. You are a brave soul to take Rt 5 into town!! At least you went in early, before the big 7:30 crush!

Keep your head on a swivel!!

jeff

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Window air conditioner in road!!

Saw a large window air conditioner come out of a truck on 270 couple years back, before scrap prices went crazy. Can not imagine how much damage a large chunk of copper, aluminum, and steel would do to a car or a bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I-90 Westbound into downtown Cleveland OH. My experiance was a eight foot aluminum ladder in the back of a six foot pick up bed. The ladder was resting on top of the cab. I darted left just when the ladder straight stood up at 75 mph in front of me and exited over the rear right corner of the pick up bed. I glanced over and watched the ladder crash into the side of a SUV. It was humorous watching the SUV driver do everything in his power to chase and force the pick up driver over. I kept my distance away off in the high speed lane and counted my blessing. Now I look in pick up truck beds, garbage trucks, and stay far away from any truck carrying anything with mud filled tracks, i.e. excavator, dozer, skid steer etc. Better to be safe than...

·
Banned
593 Posts
A guy at work was driving a company car down I480W in Cleveland, and ran over a big pile of landscaping stone that had fallen off of a truck. The guy in front of him swerved just in time, but he didn't have a chance. Ripped the oil pan open- instant trashed motor. He was airborn for a short time as well. Not sure if the airbag deployed.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was coming back from work on my Wee last week, doing about 75mph in the center lane of I-90, with cars all around. Before I knew it, there was a very long 2x10 wooden board laying across my lane, which the car in front of my just got done driving over. I had no time to react and thus kept my muscles fairly relaxed... the Wee went over the board, kept going, looked back at me and said, "What? Was I supposed to slow down or worry?"

Man, I love this bike.

About a hundred feet further I saw a pick-up truck backing up on the shoulder, with the remaining boards strapped (poorly) to his bed and roof. Dumbass.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Watched a guy in a beater pick-up the other day with a flatbed trailer loaded with a pallet of turf...big squares of lawn grass. Not secured in any way...doing 70 with square after square of sod peeling off the stack and landing in the road....probably lost a good 25% of it before somebody managed to get up alongside him and let him know. Guess the big Mexican flag hung on the inside of his rear window was obstructing his rear-view mirror. Apparently he didn't understand the concepts of using the side mirrors or tie-down straps, either. Luckily nobody had an accident because of it. I often feel it would be a wonderful world if it weren't for all the people in it......

·
Registered
324 Posts
I work right across from a Home Depot... I cannot tell you how often we hear screeching outside the office window only to look out and see construction materials strewn across four lanes of traffic and one flustered fill-in-the-blank frantically trying to direct traffic and load a truck at the same time.

Once a truck rounded out of the Home Depot, miscalculated and rode up over the sidewalk and took out eleven cars in the parking lot. It's possible drugs were involved.

Either way, be forewarned.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I snapped this picture on the fly in Oklahoma. How would you like to see this sliding across the road in front of you.. :shock:

-GW

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
There seems to be no shortage of goobers placing large objects on the roof of their vehicle, then 'securing' it w/ by the driver and passenger simply holding on to it. One minivan in particular really got on my nerves the other day, doing 40 in the fast lane of a 55 zone; mattress on the edge of flight. I'm always extra cautious anywhere near my local landfill! Nails and little sharp items aside-i've noticed that a good percentage of people making trips to the landfill don't care if their cargo arrives or convieniently dissappears on they way there. Aren't people great?

·
Registered
942 Posts
A buddy of mine was driving into work on I-5 in the Terwilliger curves (Portland, OR for those out of town). He was in the left lane doing 65, close to the Jersey barrier. A semi was heading up the hill presumably doing about the same speed. Suddenly one of those "L" shaped crank handles on the semi's flat bed comes loose and flies up over the Jersey barrier and impales itself in my buddy's grill, driver's side. If he had been a fraction of a second faster, it would have gone through his windshield right into him.

His car was dead like a bull elk shot through the heart with a .30-06. That half-inch thick bar went through the grill and right into his engine block, cracking it with enough force that both coolant and oil sprayed everywhere. The insurance company totaled his car.

This story isn't motorcycle related, but it just goes to show that you never know what may come your way without warning. In this case it happened so fast that reaction and attentiveness weren't a factor. When I'm riding and I see a semi coming my way, I move to the right-side of my lane, getting as far away as possible. I've always done this just to lessen the air blast that accompanies an oncoming vehicle of that size. But it also reduces the risk of road debris, rocks, unsecured loads and anything else those menaces can throw my way.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I must be seriously overdrawn at the Bank of Karma, because I've never had any close calls with road debris. There's plenty of it around here in the Bay Area, though... I've come across (and easily avoided) such items as kiddie pools, mattresses, pillows, etc. in the road.

But the best, or worst, bit of road debris was a DEAD BODY that was lying athwart I-880 in -- where else? -- Oakland for several hours one day last winter. Several riders on our local moto forum reported almost (re-)running over it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Saw a large window air conditioner come out of a truck on 270 couple years back, before scrap prices went crazy. Can not imagine how much damage a large chunk of copper, aluminum, and steel would do to a car or a bike.
I was headed home on 270 last week around Roberts Rd. when traffic came to a sudden standstill. Turns out a horse trailer had lost its rear gate, and several cars had run over it ( I saw all of them pulled over with flat tires a few miles down the road). I'm damn glad that I didnt hit that on my bike, not sure if I could have road that one out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Dodge Ram myslef and always make sure the tailgate is secure but one of my pet peeves is when I see somebody hauling stuff in their truck with the tailgate down. It just looks really dumb and can be dangerous

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Twice now in the last month I have been whacked in the leg by road debris of some sort on my commute into work. I've taken some to the helmet too.

Saw a truck full of ladders 2 cars in front of me (I was in the cage) suddenly lose the ladders and near take out a SUV or two.

Guess a cruiser guy this last weekend wrecked into the back of a trailer coming down a canyon, as the trailer came free of the haul vehicle.

I saw a queensize mattress set strapped to the roof of a SUV with twine... in the fast lane... doing about 80...

And let's not forget that trucks of hay will soon be on the roads again, littering lanes with green straw and confused as to why the unsecured, hanging off bales might pop free...

If I think for an instant that stuff could come free of a vehicle, I drop two gears and pass them. No need riding transfixed on their load behind them, waiting for The Big One to come your way, I say. I have enough problems with the murder-boxes (as my friend refers to cagers now) out there as it is.

Am I the only person who carries 10 ratcheting tie downs for the bed of his truck anymore? I never let stuff get a chance to blow off.

Don't even get me started by the morons that think that a flapping tarp will be OK. Gah.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Waiting at a busy crossroads on a dual carriageway in Liverpool and a battered old Ford transit van rattled past and the rear doors popped open and about 15-20 car wheels simply fell out and about 10 of them just dashed to freedom in all directions. Must have been leaning against the door or something.

Was hilarious being the spectator but I'll bet terrifying if I was following

1 - 20 of 28 Posts