StromTrooper banner

Please check as many answers as apply to you.

• I had a charging system problem on a 2002 DL1000

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2003 - 2012 DL1000

Votes: 84 18.4%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2004-2007 DL650

Votes: 28 6.1%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2008 - 2011 DL650

Votes: 76 16.6%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2012 - 2016 DL650

Votes: 121 26.5%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2014 - 2016 DL1000

Votes: 149 32.6%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2017 or later DL650

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2017 or later DL1000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 218 Posts

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
I put in my poll answer but didn't respond yet. My 09 DL650 with 19,500 miles on it, before I sold it, had no charging issues. I hooked the bike up to a Battery Tender every three or forth months before any trips and it always registered as having 85% or greater charge upon connecting it. Always took less than 10 minutes for the BT to go full green.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Bumping for more input from everybody. No problems is also a statistic. Vote at the top of the page.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Adding to my original response, my bike was in the shop at the time of posting. K9 DL1000 Purchased on 24 July approximately 140 miles and stator failure the same day. Not to happy but hopefully it wont happen again. The R/R had to be replaced too.

Jay

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well :headbang: Here I am :thumbdown:

OK, new to the Vee with a new 09 Model. Cruising down the country road at 40 mph with only 50+ miles on the clock and I look down to see that my display is off, everything tach, speedo etc except the motor was still running. Then the motor sputters and dies. Nothing, no juice and I'm stuck about 12 miles from home until my buddy comes with a trailer. Can turn the key on and now the display comes back up but time is wrong about 12 hrs and not enough juice to crank and I'm not sure if the fuel pump is running. I am steamed Clock lost time but it will turn on now but not enough juice to crank it over before it goes kaput.

Any thoughts ? Could it be just a bad battery (could I be so lucky?) or is this something major. It's still loaded on the trailer for a trip to the dealer

Believe me, I'm spittin nails because I thought this only happened to me when I bought a HD :jawdrop:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sarge,

That's the same problem I had but I was only 4 miles away from home so I decided to walk to blow off steam. Mine was the stator and the R/R. They (dealer) only noticed that the R/R wasn't working after the bike was warm.

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I'd like to see more data, but I'm getting the impression that the 400W output bikes are more likely to have problems and the problems increase with age. The 2003 and later DL1000s have 400W outputs and an older average age compared to 650s and seem overrepresented. 2008 and later DL650s have 400W outputs and seem to have more problems than the older models of 650s.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Adding to my original response, my bike was in the shop at the time of posting. K9 DL1000 Purchased on 24 July approximately 140 miles and stator failure the same day. Not to happy but hopefully it wont happen again. The R/R had to be replaced too.

Jay
My K9 DL1000 was purchased in the same time frame and 50 miles on the MC. I hope that isn't my problem also :yikes:

if the stator fails, is it intermittent? My MC seems fine now after charging the battery BUT I am fearful to trust it very far from home.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My battery died on my '08 a few weeks ago, I think it was just that time but we'll see. I just got a new AGM batt so if I start getting hard starts I'll be sure to check the electrical system. I'll reserve my vote until then. 19300 miles.

A fet R/R is on my list of upgrades though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
2004 DL650, 31K miles.
LED Brake light
PowerLet
Heated Grips

Never had an issue.

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Guys. Just vote in the poll if nothing is wrong. Only those with problems need to specify.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stator toast

2005 DL1000

My stator went out a couple of weeks ago and had to be replaced. Symptoms included the headlight "dimming" randomly and noticeably. It finally wouldn't charge. It killed a Wesco battery...

A few years ago I had to replace the rectifier. I kind of thought BOTH were bad, but the shop said not needed.

This is the only problem I have had... outside of mother nature (Thunderstorm threw it into my neighbor's driveway-ripped up my roof).

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just a reminder that choosing "no problems" is a valuable statistic too. I think problem cases are way over represented in this poll at this point. Older polls have thousands of responses.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Mine was a voltage regulator, dealer said Suzuki was having some problems with the design like mine and have a new better updated version. He said it doesn't have the plastic (epoxy?) on the back and also doesn't have the rubber plug where the wires go into it. Should be back in the saddle in around 4-5 days. Cheers--BB

41 - 60 of 218 Posts