StromTrooper banner

Please check as many answers as apply to you.

• I had a charging system problem on a 2002 DL1000

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2003 - 2012 DL1000

Votes: 84 18.3%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2004-2007 DL650

Votes: 28 6.1%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2008 - 2011 DL650

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2012 - 2016 DL650

Votes: 121 26.4%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2014 - 2016 DL1000

Votes: 149 32.5%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2017 or later DL650

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had a charging system problem on a 2017 or later DL1000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
My ABS light came on last Saturday on my way to Camden Maine. I had my heated jacket liner and gloves on. Pulled over at the toll plaza in Portland figuring to shut the bike off and restart to clear the light. Turned the key and, nothing. Lights and everything worked fine. I had added the bike to my AAA plan before a ride down to Florida last Spring, good thing I did. While I was waiting to get hauled back to Ogunquit I tried to start the bike and noticed that there seemed to be something there. Not wanting to do the ride of shame on the back of a truck I asked the driver to give me a jump from a portable battery pack and it started right up. I followed him back to the garage and decided to ride home. Made it back , about 35 mile and fired up a new battery that I had. Saturday night I did some research on here and came upon the stator issue. On Sunday with the new battery in the bike started right up. Took it for a short ride and turned on the heated grips, voltage dropped and didn't come back until I kept the revs up. Ordered a new stator and rectifier along with a magneto cover gasket and hopefully they'll be here by the end of the week. I'm pretty sure it's just the stator but wondering if I should just replace both. I could send the rectifier back to Bike Bandit. If the stator works. Both are OEM. Oh, I have a 2013 with 35,000 miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stator failure
2013 650 with a hair under 40,000 kms.
Only extra load on the system was a GPS. And that's all I ever have on it. (No heated anything or extra devices...)
I always keep the oil at the full line, and run 100% synthetic.

At the time of failure it was a warmish (25-30 Celsius) day, and I believe it died during a vigorous 15 minute, 125kph run on the highway. 10 minutes later filling up it barely started, and 5 minutes later when I made it home the battery was deader-n-a-door-nail.

When I got it out, you could clearly see the burned wires...

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Another theory of mine is that since the top of the stator is what burns the oil is not circulating to the top. When the engine is spinning most of the oil is circulating through the engine so the stator is not immersed. The rotor spinning around it might be causing cavitation and an air pocket at the top of the stator. Suzuki could redesign the rotor to scoop oil more directly on to the stator.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I've come to the conclusion the burning at the top is due to the wires from each phase coming together there rather than involving oil cooling. The oil level drops when the engine runs as oil is taken from the sump and distributed through the engine so splash cooling is all there is.

·
Registered
21,984 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to change to the SH847. I value reliability too much.
Am I right in thinking the K8 650 has the better magnet set up? So many posts and pages, I couldn't find it...

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
There are a few 650s with encapsulated magnets but the only ones I've noticed are from 2009. Other years may have some of them. The part numbers in the fiche for different years is the same so there's no telling except by looking. Loose magnets seem to be comparatively rare on 650s compared to 1000s. There is some conjecture the difference may be more clutch vibration on the bigger bike being transferred from the clutch to the rotor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There are a few 650s with encapsulated magnets but the only ones I've noticed are from 2009. Other years may have some of them. The part numbers in the fiche for different years is the same so there's no telling except by looking. Loose magnets seem to be comparatively rare on 650s compared to 1000s. There is some conjecture the difference may be more clutch vibration on the bigger bike being transferred from the clutch to the rotor.
Thanks, greywolf. Just the man I was hoping to hear from. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I already voted but I just had my second failure. Just replaced another OEM Stator on my '09 Wee. First one at 40K miles and now at 65K miles. This time I went with an ElectroSport stator that I had as a backup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2008 dl 650. Bought the bike in 2014 with about 45,000 miles on it . At about 48,000 the state went out . I had the state rewound by Rick's Electrics. replaced the R/R with a series type . I also wired the out of the R/R to the battery on the advice of a mechanic/ friend. This worked well for just over 2 years. Now I'm having charging system problems again. Battery won't take a charge . But I'm sure that's not the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2008 dl 650. Bought the bike in 2014 with about 45,000 miles on it . At about 48,000 the stator went out . I had the stator rewound by Rick's Electrics. replaced the R/R with a series type . I also wired the out of the R/R to the battery on the advice of a mechanic/ friend. This worked well for just over 2 years. Now I'm having charging system problems again. Battery won't take a charge . But I'm sure that's not the cause of the problem.
I meant to say stator not state.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Always use OEM stators, the other stuff is crap usually. The aftermarket ones are short lived IMO. I've tried the electrosport crap myself, much rather buy a used one off eBay and roll the dice than that cheap junk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was out on a ride when my speedo stopped working and the engine started running rough. After nursing it home, I checked this site and found my problem. Bad stator and a few loose magnets on the rotor. I have two led fog lights and grip heaters. Time for JB Weld and a new oem stator.
Thanks for all of posts with all the expert advise and observations here!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
to make the numbers more meaningful, there should be options for those not having had a problem. the poll only shows those who have had out of how many?????

·
38,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
It used to have that but I removed it to allow more bike choices. The no problems vote was totally meaningless. People without problems didn't vote. Look at the poll on what bike is owned posted in the same forum. Fewer than 1000 people participated so far even though I have a link to there in my sig. This site has 46,561 members as I write this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stator problem, with two loose magnets. Replaced with a used OEM from eBay. (still waiting for delivery) No addition lights but do run headed vest and chaps during the winter.

201 - 218 of 218 Posts