StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday a pair of mooses jumped from the forest right in front of me and I was in decent speed... Slammed both brakes and managed to stop the bike with no damage done.

During that sudden braking, the back end of the bike was dancing quite a bit. I loosened the right foot pressure, a habit from my old yamaha days.

Luckily, front forks just compressed, no instability there. But why the back end swayed? Shouldn't ABS have prevented that?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
You were right at the verge of a stoppie, sort of the opposite of a wheelie. The back was at the point of leaving the ground from the forward weight transfer due to the sudden stop. About the only thing you can do to help with that is to get your body weight back. There isn't time to shift you seating position so about all you can do is keep your arms straight to keep your head and shoulders from moving forward. There may have been some hopping because of the ABS catching and releasing. If you didn't have ABS, the rear would have come around as the stopping front would have been braking better than the skidding rear. When you are near 100% of the braking force being on the front, the slightest pressure on the rear can lock it up or engage ABS.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Glad you are okay ....any chance your side cases are not loaded evenly or your top case overloaded?....you said you were far from home so figured you might be pretty loaded.
Might cause some lateral instability.

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
One good thing to do is to practise some emergency stopping situations on different surfaces to see how the bike reacts. That way in an emergency you aren't surprised by the bike's actions.

I also found it eye-opening to see how much traction I do and don't have in different situations.

..Tom

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
if you want ugly ABS in the rear brakes try BMW. My G650GS has the weirdest feeling when it kicks in. No confidence inspiring action there.
On my 04 Wee, the rear just starts sliding like crazy, no ABS. There is a happy medium but you must find it. Best thing is to practice using gross amounts of brake and become accustomed to how the bike reacts. Then when the panic sets in you will know what to expect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts