StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a used vstrom 1000. Is there any one year that is better than the others. Has Suzuki made any major changes or improvements to the bike ie mapping etc. thanks for any help.

T

·
0 Posts
Don't you hate that deafening silence?
I'm no expert on Big Stroms, but here's what I know.
Early Stroms, i.e. '03s and earlier had fixed windshields, the later ones have adjustable screens that are a big improvement, although 90% of owners still complain about buffeting. I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam and I have mine on the next to top setting and find it comfortable.
Quite a few Early Stroms had problems with bad clutch baskets. I expect most of these have been fixed by now, but if you have vibrations and noise, especially at idle, that may be the problem.
All Big Stroms stutter and belch around 3,500 rpm. Five minutes with a Yosh box will fix. It sounds like Suzuki has fixed this for the '06s.
All Stroms can experience "idle hammer". This seems to be linked to the cam drive gears and is harmless noise.
All other changes are minor and cosmetic.
These really are strong, reliable machines capable of all sorts of duty. Find a good used one, sort it out to your personal liking and rack up the miles. Good luck!
Tony

1 - 2 of 2 Posts