StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P/O put a K&N filter on my 650 and the Suzuki gasket isn't on it.

The K&N's is a one piece molded rubber body, with the filter media part of it.( In plain words, the surface sandwiched between the airboxes two halves is rubber.) It looks to me the rubbers thickness is thicker that the space it resides in when all is screwed together. So, the Suzuki gasketi sn't needed...or even maybe a good idea to use.

-Does K&N specify the use of the OEM gasket?
and,
-Isn't the OEM filter a hard plastic material and the OEM gasket wraps around it's perimeter?
- Is everybody else using the OEM gasket on the K&N?

Thanks,Dave

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
And if you use a k&n, you can stop performing oil changes on your bike, as you are pretty much guaranteed that it won't die from dirty oil;)

I've mentionned this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here.
While the k&n filters work when they are wet (don't know how you'd get water to the filter in the strom), they let through more particles than the stock filter while at the same time clogging faster; you can veryfy this at home with your vacuum cleaner. They also rarely provide a performance increase.

Another note: The stock air filter flows more air than the wee's engine sucks at speed, even when half of it is blocked.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never seen one, so:
how about that OEM filter..... is it made of harder plastic and the gasket seals it in the box?

Oh and one more thing, the Suzuki gasket is same part # , dl650 and dl1000.

So why do the two bikes take a different air filter?
Thanks, dave

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The OEM filter has a rubber gasket around the edge of the hard plastic base. The 650 and 1000 use the same air filter.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad. I see it now..... the two different part #'s on RonAyers.com are the filter with and without the gasket.

2007 dl1000 #13780-06G00 no gasket
2007 dl650 #13780-27310 with gasket

Thanks dave

·
Registered
753 Posts
I hope they are the same....

Yeah,i was just going to say,i just put a 650 filter in my new to me 1000,because I couldnt see a difference...:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts