StromTrooper banner

a must ride in NSW: Rylstone / Sandy Hollow

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  penguineer 
#1 ·
On my way back from Tamworth on the weekend, I decided to have a quick look at the map and head another direction. So, I decided to go via the Bylong State Forest, Sandy Hollow too Rylstone. I stopped at the Sandy Hollow Service station and filled up, before heading on my way.

I was told that certain sections of this road were once dirt road, it's now completely sealed. If you want too see how your bike handles, in every type of corner or road scenario, then this is the road for you.

The ride starts off heading past some winerys & some mines, so watch for the trucks, but once you enter it, the view is unreal.

Theres even a rest area which, some people even camped the night, I can see why. I give this ride a 10 out of 10, you have todo it.

The ride is just over 100km, took me just over an hour todo it.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Looks like a great ride :thumbup: motorcycle heaven and not far from home , on my to do list for sure :yesnod:
If anyone is going for a ride in this area please let me know.

#6 ·
Yep. Did it a couple of years ago on the XJR1300 - up the Putty Rd, to Denman, across to Sandy Hollow (big hamburger), thence to Rylstone where I picked up a bad lot of premium fuel, then home over the mountains to Penrith.

#8 ·
Thanks Wes, last time I went that way a few years ago it was mostly dirt, I will give it another run when Im up that way soon. If you want a good dirt run the ride from Kandos to the top of Nullo Mountain has some suprising corners.
Nothing like discovering a new twisty you havnt ridden before, always a good feeling :)

#11 ·
will do forsure mountain. thats what i love about these forums, going on rides people have explored and recommended. had a great hamburger in kandos aswell, great feed after a great ride. the 1k just cruised the whole way with a bike loaded with gear, loved it...

#9 ·
It is one of the best!

I agree, the Bylong Valley Way is exceptional, it has everything and the scenery is spectacular. One of my favourite runs was coming down the Bylong Valley staying at Rylestone (nice town) and then through Sofala and eventually continuing down to Wee Jasper (that is awesome also).

I did this same run to get to Bright last year.

Good on you Wes...

Trevor

#10 ·
Lovely area, though it used to be nicer (many) years ago. It's where my family is from and I have spent a lot of time on the roads around there over the years. Many of the roads certainly used to be dirt - came over a crest once and sank an XS650 up to the middle of the engine cases in one bulldust hole.

#12 ·
I did this ride a couple of months back. Came in from the west. I think it is one of the best roads to ride. I would also recommend visiting Dunn's Swamp, also known as Kandos Weir. It is just out of Rylston. It is a great place, can go swimming, hiking, and relaxing. Cost was $5 per night. Basic toilets. they even supply firewood. Just be careful on the dirt road in as the locals tend to go out there for the day, take the kids, have a bbq and a few beers. they are not looking for bikes on the road when they head home. I went with 2 other riders and one of them got run off the road by a 4x4. Still it is a must see place and a great place to camp. Close to the central coast as well so it makes a nice weekend trip. 4 hrs from Morissett. Highly recommended...

#13 ·
Have to agree - did this road about a week and a half ago and it was a ripper!

Still doing the ride report up....but I don't have too many piccies of the road though....

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.