StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting on about 2,000 miles in the last 4 days on my new Russell Seat, I can safely say that I'm an idiot. For 40 years I've ridden bikes with somewhat stock seats, or aftermarket seats that were just ok. Finally I made the plunge and bought a Russell. Oh my god, what was I waiting for? After 600 miles my posterior felt as if I was riding my first mile. The next day, no problem. This should have been one of my first farkles on every bike.

It takes a while to get the seat made, but the wait is more than worth it.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Looks really nice!
Did you have to send them your seat pan?
[edit]Oops, I see you do. Can't stand being without the bike that long, now that riding season is here. Mebbe this winter.[/edit]

·
Registered
856 Posts
After putting on about 2,000 miles in the last 4 days on my new Russell Seat, I can safely say that I'm an idiot. For 40 years I've ridden bikes with somewhat stock seats, or aftermarket seats that were just ok. Finally I made the plunge and bought a Russell. Oh my god, what was I waiting for? After 600 miles my posterior felt as if I was riding my first mile. The next day, no problem. This should have been one of my first farkles on every bike.

It takes a while to get the seat made, but the wait is more than worth it.

AW GET A ROOM YOU TWO! :furious::yikes::jawdrop:

:green_lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey, that's my seat!!! Same stitching pattern. I agree it's the best thing I've done for the Wee. I did have to put lowering links on though to get back the 1" or so that I lost. No big deal.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good news, I spoke with Heather at Russell yesterday (my schedule build day was yesterday) and my seat should be done friday or monday. In the meantime I bought a used seat to keep riding with. As for wait, well, I got lucky. I placed my order last tuesday. 2 days later they gave me a production date for that monday and said that I needed to ship the seat right away. I believe I got lucky and ordered right as they got a cancelation or something...I aint gonna question it. I have never had a Russell but I have sat on quite a few. They are the only seats that feel absolutely great when I sit on them. I can only hope mine is as good as everyone says they are.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks really nice!
Did you have to send them your seat pan?
[edit]Oops, I see you do. Can't stand being without the bike that long, now that riding season is here. Mebbe this winter.[/edit]
Many who have upgraded from 650 stock seats to Corbin or Seargent would sell you a 650 seat for next to nothing. While not as comfortable or high as the 1000 seat (based on reputation, not experience), it would fill the void while your seat pan is away and you could sell it for what you paid when you were finished with it. Wee seats aren't worth much, but they don't exactly lose value either.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had mine built in March. It was the last farkle I put on my wee and should have been my first! I had a gel seat with cushion and sheepskin on it and still could not ride over 100 miles without my butt and back killing me. I only have about 300 miles on my new seat but (butt) I can tell you already it is the best money I have ever spent on any motorcycle. The girls at Russell are awesome at getting your info and keeping you informed about your build date, ect. Give them a try you wont regret it. Besides, they guarantee it!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm about 3,500 miles into mine and really like it. I put the stock seat back on (I borrowed a friend's 650 seat) and absolutely hated the bike.

I, too, had to lower the bike to compensate the 1" additional seat height, but really enjoy the fact that my knees aren't cramped up after hours of riding.

I need to do something about my reach now, then I might never get off the bike.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Its funny, I am having Russell raise my wee seat about an 1.5". I did make note that I wanted that in total and not in addition to the amount they are noramlly raised. Although just putting on a seat from the vee the suspension is feeling much harsher.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its funny, I am having Russell raise my wee seat about an 1.5". I did make note that I wanted that in total and not in addition to the amount they are noramlly raised. Although just putting on a seat from the vee the suspension is feeling much harsher.
Mine was raised slightly also. As Photobiker said, I'm looking to raise the bars next. Does Russell do office chairs? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
83 Posts
pinkman and others, have you had a passenger try out your pillion? I was wondering how the seams in the rear seat would effect my wifes posterior. Are there different patterns offered for the rear seating area. I replaced the stock seat on my wee with a DL1000 seat I bought off on ebay for $60, it's made a world of difference for me, but not as much of an improvement for my wife.

Thanks,

Jeff (SoPaRider) and Karen (SoPaGuider)

·
Registered
66 Posts
seat

Had mine now for about 6 months and could not be happier! Riding long distances before would keep me off the bike for weeks at a time now ready to get back on it the next day. You get what you pay for most of the time and this is one of those times:thumbup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Get mine tomorrow

I just checked into the Shasta Lake Motel. Rode 560 miles today to get here. My ride in appointment with Russell is tomorrow morning. Did the 560 miles on the stock seat. Friday I'll get a chance feel the difference on the ride home.

I'm getting the rider's back rest also. That should really help. Photos and review after Friday's ride.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
pinkman and others, have you had a passenger try out your pillion? I was wondering how the seams in the rear seat would effect my wifes posterior. Are there different patterns offered for the rear seating area. I replaced the stock seat on my wee with a DL1000 seat I bought off on ebay for $60, it's made a world of difference for me, but not as much of an improvement for my wife.

Thanks,

Jeff (SoPaRider) and Karen (SoPaGuider)
If you are ordering a 2-up seat, you are required to take photos of yourself AND your passenger on the bike as they do custom work for the both of you.

So far, only my oldest daughter has ridden on the new seat. She likes it a lot better than the old seat.

My wife loves the look of the new seat and can see the comfort, we've both had busy schedules this spring so we've not been able to go for a ride yet.

My son, however, personally hates Russell. The rule for my bike is "your feet have to touch the passenger footpegs". Last fall, in November, he finally was able to touch the pegs. He was so happy! Then at the end of the month, my Russell arrived and his feet are now 3" off the pegs. I'm thinking of using some 2x4 blocks to make up the difference so he can ride with me.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Dear Russell Seats,
It took me 35 years of suffering the afflictions of sore-ass-itis to finally decide to spend a little more money and buy one of your seats for my 650 V-Strom. Words cannot express my asses current state of happiness. I will never again be without a spectacular Russell saddle. Thank you.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you notice a change in the suspension after raising it? I dont understnd why its so different...:headbang:
Even though my seat was raised slightly, it's the width of the seat that causes the issue. Your legs go out slightly. I find that I slide a little to the front of the seat when I come to a stop, which is the narrower portion of the seat. Russell will trim that area if you tell them so your legs are more vertical at a stop.

For SoPaRider: I haven't had a passenger on the bike.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just got mine back yesterday and you guys are right! This is the best darn thing I ever bought for a motorcycle! I put 200 plus miles on it today and my butt did not hurt a bit. Well worth every penny!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts