StromTrooper banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
@Fox is correct. I didn’t realize I was in the 650 section. Mine was a 1000, and I could be confusing it with my Tenere. Is the 1000 dry sump? I sold the bike manual.

Or am I just losing my mind?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
If your oil light comes on when your motor is stopped you don't have a problem.

That tells you your light works as it should.

The fact that the oil light went out tells you that there was oil pressure so no problem.

The oil pump pick up for the motor is very low the rest of the oil is to lubricate the gear box, clutch and cool the stator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After a short route, everything is perfect. It is clear that the manufacturers add a considerable margin in the oil level so that there are no breakdowns, which is very good.

Thanks guys for the replies. I was amazed at all the help and the speed with which you answered. I will try to reciprocate the forum with what help I can give.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
@Fox is correct. I didn’t realize I was in the 650 section. Mine was a 1000, and I could be confusing it with my Tenere. Is the 1000 dry sump? I sold the bike manual.

Or am I just losing my mind?
I had thought the 1000 was the same deal, since otherwise there would be an oil reservoir somewhere and probably a different procedure to check the level. At any rate the steps you listed were fine for the strom 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
@Fox

My Honda ATV and my Tenere carry the oil inside the engine cases in a sump area (internal tank). I guess to reduce windage losses from the crank running in oil. The oil tank is not exterior like on other designs and race cars.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
9,763 Posts
Likewise. I fill to the top of the sight glass, warm the engine, rest the engine, then fill again to near the top of the sight glass.
I never measure the oil. It is the oil level that is important - not the volume.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
To be exact, today I checked the oil canister, with the oil left over after filling. I did indeed put 250 ml less in, which is basically what an oil filter absorbs.

It looks like you have to go a lot lower to get the oil light to come on.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts