StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's the point...I performed the first oil change on my vstrom and I think I did it wrong somewhere.

I'll cut to the chase. I measured the wrong amount of new oil, and when I started the bike the first time and measured the oil level after a few minutes, I saw that the oil did not even reach the first lower line.

It was about 30-40 seconds.

After that, obviously, I turned off the engine and topped up to the top line.

The oil pump sensor did not come on even though it was well below the first lower line. The bike runs fine after doing a test run.

Should I be concerned? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
It ran for 30 or 40 seconds,and when stopped you could see some oil in the glass , just not at the low line?
I wouldn't worry too much just yet, it seems a very little bit of oil makes a big difference in that sight glass.
Did you notice or take note of how much oil it took to bring it up to the middle?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is why I am concerned. When I started the engine and saw that the oil sensor went out, I thought everything was correct. After shutting off, I let it sit for a few minutes the oil was not reaching the bottom line. The bike was completely horizontal to the ground (I use a spirit level).

I need about 300 ml more to reach de upper line.

I understand that the manufacturer has upper or lower ranges, and that is why the oil pump sensor went out, as it normally does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys. When you do something for the first time you always screw something up. Next time I'll let it fill completely, start the bike to let the oil filter fill, and measure again. But I will never start the bike if it's not at the top line.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned. It's not like you ran it while it was dry; there was some oil in it, even if there wasn't the recommended amount. I'd feel safe saying there was enough in there for the pump pickup to get oil circulating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand that if there was not enough oil for the pump, the corresponding sensor would turn on... or at least that's what I think.

It would be interesting to know what is the minimum oil required for the oil pump to operate.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I understand that if there was not enough oil for the pump, the corresponding sensor would turn on... or at least that's what I think.

It would be interesting to know what is the minimum oil required for the oil pump to operate.
The answer is zip, zero, nadda, zilch...the pump will operate with no oil it just will have nothing to pump.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
When the sensor comes on you have very low oil pressure. You should never see that light except when you turn key on. The Strom and my Tenere are similar. They run a dry sump engine and getting the oil level right is tricky.

I put the recommended amount of oil in, then start my bike and let it idle for 15-30 seconds. Turn off and add oil to the lower line in the glass. Start it again and let it idle till the engine case is warm to the touch. Usually the oil level will rise some. Turn off engine and let bike sit for couple minutes to let oil settle back into sump tank. Then I add just a touch more to get it to the top line in the glass.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The bike was completely horizontal to the ground (I use a spirit level).
Good practice. I have a small string gauge level Gorilla-glued to my dash. it's also helpful when I strap the bike down in my truck.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
When the sensor comes on you have very low oil pressure. You should never see that light except when you turn key on. The Strom and my Tenere are similar. They run a dry sump engine and getting the oil level right is tricky.

I put the recommended amount of oil in, then start my bike and let it idle for 15-30 seconds. Turn off and add oil to the lower line in the glass. Start it again and let it idle till the engine case is warm to the touch. Usually the oil level will rise some. Turn off engine and let bike sit for couple minutes to let oil settle back into sump tank. Then I add just a touch more to get it to the top line in the glass.
The vstrom has a wet sump engine, and is very tolerant of variations in oil level aside from overfilling. It's not necessary for the bike to be perfectly level, or to use measuring tools.

I just fill until I see some oil in the sightglass, run for 30 seconds, wait a minute or two for it to drain back and continue filling until it reaches the top of the sightglass.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Thank you guys. When you do something for the first time you always screw something up. Next time I'll let it fill completely, start the bike to let the oil filter fill, and measure again. But I will never start the bike if it's not at the top line.
In between the low and high marks is perfectly acceptable. Adding oil when it is already near the top level line runs the risk of overfilling, which can also cause engine problems.

Reactions: Solarguy

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The 650 takes 2700ml of oil with a filter change. (Book says 2750ml, but on my 2016 that puts the level just a bit above the top line.)
Just drain completely and fill with the correct amount. The level in the window varies a lot with just the tiniest bit of movement or "off-level".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In between the low and high marks is perfectly acceptable. Adding oil when it is already near the top level line runs the risk of overfilling, which can also cause engine problems.
I think the ideal process would be :

Fill to the top with new oil filter.

Start the bike and let that excess oil take up the filter.

Re-measure, and I'm sure it will be correct.

My failure was that the oil filter lowered the level on the sight glass too much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 650 takes 2700ml of oil with a filter change. (Book says 2750ml, but on my 2016 that puts the level just a bit above the top line.)
Just drain completely and fill with the correct amount. The level in the window varies a lot with just the tiniest bit of movement or "off-level".
You are right.

The failure was in putting 2,400-2,450 liters with new filter. When starting I understand that the bike was left with 2,200 liters. Enough for the pump, but not enough to drive on the road.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
If I change the filter, I fill the filter manually before spinning it on. If you didn't, that may be why yours dropped so low. The only cost to not doing that is the couple of seconds of dry running you'd get otherwise (a brief, disconcerting clatter), and the greater drop in level you'll also get. That's probably not critical, but I do it anyway. I then fill to the top of the sight glass, then run it for a couple of minutes, and shut it off for a half hour or so, then top it off.

I'm sure you'd know if it was struggling; I'd bet it's fine.

Don't measure, though; just watch the sight glass.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts