StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from Oregon City Oregon, and the end of the Oregon trail.

This spring I got the silly idea to motorcycle the Oregon Trail. Following historian Robert Franzwa's impeccable mile-by-mile maps I did a little dirt, lots of back roads, and in a few instance some slab (no choice really).

I started from East Central Illinois, going to Independence Missouri and then followed the trail west. Below is a link to my trip -- the blog more about the trail than motorcycling, but I think you'll enjoy it.

The post are latest to oldest, so if you want to start at the beginning go to the bottom of the page and click on "Older Entries."

SIGH, now I got to cycle home.

Enjoy

Looking for the Oregon Trail

·
Registered
556 Posts
Very interesting read and some great pictures. Definitely a thought provoking trip. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeems. You got to do something dumb once and a while when the spirit moves you.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Very well done. A lot of information you have posted I never knew, such as the Bear Creek Massacre... Great pics too!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If any of you are interested in doing part or all of the Oregon Trail make sure to pick up a used copy of Maps of the Oregon Trail by Gregory Franzwa. It is out of print now, but available as a used book. I got two copies used, I think I paid around $12 for each, shipped to my door (I did not get them through Amazon, I found them on line somewhere else for less money). I ran a copy through a three ring punch and brought it along.

The book is amazing. A mile by mile guide to where the trail and its off shoots can be found. It's thirty years old, but I just open Google maps, plotted the route. It amazing how much does not change.

Amazon.com: Maps of the Oregon Trail (9780935284836): Gregory M. Franzwa, Victor Atiyeh: Books

·
Registered
672 Posts
Tuax, Can you post more, photo's info etc. I am going to traverse the counrty this late summer, and was thinking of either Rt. 50, the Oregon Trail or the nortern route which I think is US 2.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
PSO:

I'm on the way back home (currently in Western Missouri, on the way to East Central Illinois). But if you go to the link below you can see an approximate route of the Oregon Trail. Also if you click on the states listed there, you can see the "auto route." While it does not exactly following of the O.T. it does come close. The Auto Route would take you to a lot of the historically important part of the trail.

When I get back I will try to post some more stuff.

Oregon National Historic Trail - Maps (U.S. National Park Service)

US 2 goes north of the trail, but hits some of the Lewis & Clark Trail. Rt 50 (except in Missouri and Eastern Kansas, goes south of the Oregon Trail).

For pure beauty the Lewis & Clark beats the O.T., since Lewis & Clark didn't really know here the heck they were going, they did no take the easiest route (although it was/is beautiful).

·
Registered
556 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts