StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 8,600 miles, the OEM front tire looks to have 500-1000 safe miles left. The OEM rear tire looks much better and has perhaps 1,500-3,000 safe miles left. I've decided to spring for Michelin Pilot Road 3s. I would prefer not to replace both tires at once. Am I taking a (safety) risk by replacing the front tire first and then the rear tire 2,000 miles later?

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
No safety risk, but your handling may feel ungainly due to the worn flat in the middle rear not playing nice with the nice round profile of a new front tire. You'll find out soon enough if it bugs you enough to wait in swapping out the worn rear.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
I replace tires as they wear with whatever is a good price . When I'm down to the wear bars, in the center or the sides, it's time to change. Especially if a longer trip is in the works.
What tire you use depends on the type of riding and the size of your wallet.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Replace them both, if only to save some hassle.

Your tire wear is unusual, a) it's high mileage; b) no one on earth kills a front tire ahead of a rear tire. I get 2 rears per front.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Replace them both, if only to save some hassle.

Your tire wear is unusual, a) it's high mileage; b) no one on earth kills a front tire ahead of a rear tire. I get 2 rears per front.
I never get two rears per front ever since they stopped having the same tread depth on the two.

I'd fully agree with replacing them at the same time to reduce the hassle and any possibility of strange handling.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I have a PR3 on the front and a stock Trailwing on the back. It works fine, and I haven't noticed any weird handling issues. When the back wears out I'll put a PR3 on there.

Maybe the hardcore knee draggers would notice a difference, but I'm just a regular all weather rider, and I've never had any issues with that combination.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
You might want to wait and check out the Pilot Road 4 coming out next month. Nice looking tire!

Oooh! New stuff! :thumbup:

The Pilot Road 4 tires will be available in three versions, the standard PR4, PR4 Trail for enduro and ADV bikes that are primarily ridden on-road and the PR4 GT for heavier, touring bikes. The Pilot Road 4 GT tires are already the OEM choice for the new BMW R1200RT.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tires - RevZilla

·
Registered
833 Posts
If it is like the PR3, all version will have the same tread.

MICHELIN PR4
But not all version available in our size: (from a french site)

Pilot Road 4 Standard
2 dimensions avant : 120/60 ZR 17, 120/70 ZR 17
5 dimensions arrière : 150/70 ZR 17, 160/60 ZR 17, 180/55 ZR 17, 190/50 ZR 17 et 190/55 ZR 17

Pilot Road 4 GT
2 dimensions avant : 120/70 ZR 17, 120/70 ZR 18
4 dimensions arrière : 170/60 ZR 17, 180/55 ZR 17, 190/50 ZR 17 et 190/55 ZR 17

Pilot Road 4 Trail
2 dimensions avant : 110/80 R 19 et 120/70 R 19
2 dimensions arrière : 150/70 R 17 et 170/60 R 17

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
So, only the Trail version for the front.
And what is the difference (for the rear) between Standard and GT?

I was thinking of those when time comes for change but I see I'll be stuck with Trail version for the front (I never go out of the pavement).

·
Registered
833 Posts

I was thinking of those when time comes for change but I see I'll be stuck with Trail version for the front (I never go out of the pavement).
Probably just the compound will be different between these versions.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You might want to wait and check out the Pilot Road 4 coming out next month. Nice looking tire!
Looks like a fantastic option, waiting for the bike show next month when I can grill the Michelin Man and threaten him with a sharp stick! LOL:hurray:

·
Registered
281 Posts
But not all version available in our size: (from a french site)

Pilot Road 4 Standard
2 dimensions avant : 120/60 ZR 17, 120/70 ZR 17
5 dimensions arrière : 150/70 ZR 17, 160/60 ZR 17, 180/55 ZR 17, 190/50 ZR 17 et 190/55 ZR 17

Pilot Road 4 GT
2 dimensions avant : 120/70 ZR 17, 120/70 ZR 18
4 dimensions arrière : 170/60 ZR 17, 180/55 ZR 17, 190/50 ZR 17 et 190/55 ZR 17

Pilot Road 4 Trail
2 dimensions avant : 110/80 R 19 et 120/70 R 19
2 dimensions arrière : 150/70 R 17 et 170/60 R 17
I think the trail version will be just fine for us Strommers, a slightly softer side contact patch will be acceptable.... as well as a stiffer center section... check out the Michelin site then make up your mind... 20% more rear treadlife... almost a no brainer for me!:yesnod:

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 for replacing both tires at the same time. I have never worn out a front tire before a rear. Most of the time for me it is 2 rears for every front

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just pre-ordered a Pilot Road 4 trail front. When the rear becomes available, I'll buy that too. From the replies thus far, I gather that there is no real consensus on whether one Michelin and one OEM tire would cause unsafe handling. So, I guess I'll play it by ear.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tire delema

I have over 14,000 miles on the stock tires and I'm wearing mine out evenly front to rear.
I'm 98% road and 70% freeway, so it's a lot of 80mph miles with all the wear down the middle of the tire. I've been reading as much as I can and was thinking of getting the Shinko 705 tires, but if these Pilot4's are going to out last the Shinko's, it might be worth it in the long run?

Pilot Road 4 for all-around sport touring use
Pilot Road 4 GT has a stiffer casing with a patented new technology for motorcycle tires that delivers the stability you need for heavier GT-class bikes while riding solo, two-up or with luggage, and the comfort you desire
Pilot Road 4 Trail for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road <-- Which is my case too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts