StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a lot of us, including me, will take a little jaunt from time to time without all our gear on. This 20 second video is a quick reminder to find some comfortable gear and wear it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
One of the MANY reasons I NEVER ride the interstate highways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW

Reactions: S391

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
That is just rotten luck. Has nothing to do with interstate highways, it could have been a rock, or a deer, or a dog, or a billion other things, and on your back street next to your house where you think it's safer.
Always good to wear the gear, you only need it when you need it, then you Really need it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
At what point does one decide the gear is not enough insurance and that riding a motorcycle is just too dangerous a pursuit to continue? Another vehicle right behind the guy would have negated the effectiveness of the gear.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Life is full of surprises, some worse than others! I once narrowly missed a flying wheel like this on the Interstate (I-275 around Cincinnati). It was unbelievable, like a slow motion movie that just didn't seem real. It was bouncing as it had landed upright on the tread and it was difficult to A: believe it was actually happening, B: figure out (in 65MPH traffic) where it would bounce next, and C: figure out how to evade it without the cars on either side ( I was in the center lane) or the ones behind me running over me. I was lucky that day and avoided all those things. It was as much, or more, luck as it was riding ability. My years of racing experience helped as you go into that auto mode of putting emotions aside and just deal with avoiding the collision at speed.
I feel for this poor guy, he did nothing wrong, it was just a bad day...been there, done that. (and maybe you have too).

Reactions: Leon and shu

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
"Has nothing to do with interstate highways "
Bugzy
"I once narrowly missed a flying wheel like this on the Interstate (I-275 around Cincinnati)."
Hans471
Let me say it again!!!
I NEVER RIDE THE INTERSTATE HIGHWAYS
THEY'RE WAY TOO DANGEROUS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Many years ago a guy I went to high school with was killed in his car when a tire came through the windshield. Then much later I found out one of my daughter's elementary teachers was killed the same way. You pay your money and take your chances.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
A counter-steer could have saved him. But before y'all groan, I slowed the video down, (if... BIG IF) the rider had seen the tire when first visible, he had 2 seconds to impact. It takes just under a second to recognize a threat, then start to implement a counter-steer. That leaves about a whole second to avoid. That being said, I certainly doubt a highly trained and practiced rider could have avoided that tire. But, it is a reminder for all of us to regularly practice counter-steer avoidance EVERYtime we ride. It's easy, it's fun and there is nothing like muscle memory stored in our tiny hard drive........we have zero excuses. Ok....carry on😁

1 - 9 of 9 Posts