StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to make a quick post.

The trailwings that came with my DL6507K have served me well. I live in Oregon. Over the last 6 months, the tires have seen a lot of travel in a lot of different conditions. I have 9K on the trailwings now and they still look great.

I am mostly posting because I commute every day unless there is ice/snow on the road. We have been getting buckets of rain and wind out here in the NW but I have never felt "worried" about traction.

Overall, I rate these as great, long wearing tires capable of daily commutes, long weekend trips and some offroad exploration.

Props to Suzuki for choosing a great stock tire to send out the door with the Strom.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
ITs funny since I hear that the stock TW's are bad in rain. So far its performed well the two times the roads got slightly moist from the drizzle that so-cali's call "rain" but I have not tested it on very wet surfaces.

·
Registered
321 Posts
They take quite a beating here, but I too am a "closet" TW lover. They may not be perfect, but like the Wee we ride, they seem to be reasonably good at a lot.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just wanted to make a quick post.

The trailwings that came with my DL6507K have served me well. I live in Oregon. Over the last 6 months, the tires have seen a lot of travel in a lot of different conditions. I have 9K on the trailwings now and they still look great.

I am mostly posting because I commute every day unless there is ice/snow on the road. We have been getting buckets of rain and wind out here in the NW but I have never felt "worried" about traction.

Overall, I rate these as great, long wearing tires capable of daily commutes, long weekend trips and some offroad exploration.

Props to Suzuki for choosing a great stock tire to send out the door with the Strom.
+1 Brasstax

I have been riding for a long time on dirt and street on a wide variety of bikes. I've been very pleased with the overall performance of the TW's in all conditions.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
IMO the current Trailwings are a reasonable tyre.
I'm not saying that they are the best tyre in the world but the items fitted tio the 07 650's at least seem to work well for most riders in most circumstances.
Most of the people that make Deathwing comments are either referring to the earlier versions and have not tried the newer models or have never ridden on either and are just repeating Internet myths.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ITs funny since I hear that the stock TW's are bad in rain. So far its performed well the two times the roads got slightly moist from the drizzle that so-cali's call "rain" but I have not tested it on very wet surfaces.
I can tell you for sure - it works fine in the rain! Some evenings I am riding it home in a torrent. I ride about 18 miles each way to and from work. About 11 miles is on a twisty back country road with a couple of open stretches that are very exposed to the wind. That road has been covered with rain / leaves / branches / dead animals / gravel / old flares etc this Fall.

Anyway, I had read the same things as you but I have not found an issue. I wonder if some of the issues were more rider related rather than tire related. I don't ride like a granny or like a squid. I pretty much ride at a speed I feel is safe. I am extra careful about throttle control in wet weather. The one thing about the DL that has been a little bit of an issue for me in wet weather riding is the way the TPS gets squirrely when it gets out of whack. I have had to adjust it twice so far. It makes the throttle get a bit jerky at slower speeds - IE CORNERING. I hardly ever use my brakes in a corner. I like to enter the corner at the speed I want and then accelerate out. This becomes somewhat jerky when the TPS is acting up. It's just something I live with until it gets adjusted again.

Anyway, watch out for those rains/light mistings down there. I would rather ride on roads that have been rained on for days than an occasional mist any time. That can be a slippery situation.

Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Im less concerned about the drizzle then I am the Cali drivers that cant drive AT ALL in any weather! Worked accross the street from a body shop for 2 years. I would see it PILED HIGH the next day after a rain. It always amazed me.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I am going to echo Brasstax comments on the TW. I commute in basically the same area 20 miles a day each way under varying road conditions and I have no complaints about the TW except for a few short stints on some pretty wet grass. The TW is a pretty darn good factory installed tire.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm riding a 650K7ABS, and while I've had no complaints about the feel of the Trailwings on the road, I'm just a bit over 5000 miles, and the front tire is moderately cupped and worn down to the wear bars. The rear tire looks like it has another 3-5000 miles left in it.

I can't give the front tire much of a recommendation.

George

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm riding a 650K7ABS, and while I've had no complaints about the feel of the Trailwings on the road, I'm just a bit over 5000 miles, and the front tire is moderately cupped and worn down to the wear bars. The rear tire looks like it has another 3-5000 miles left in it.

I can't give the front tire much of a recommendation.

George
the front? That is very suprising. Are you sure your tire pressue is up to specs?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I commute 40 miles a day, rain or shine. Before I got my Wee in August I did it for 3 years on my KLR. I tried several different tires on the KLR (she has >28k miles now) and the last 3 sets she had were TW's. I find them good for anything from loose dirt to wet pavment.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
+1 on the Trailwings.
Sometimes I wonder if it's just hard to believe that the stock tires will be high quality.
For me, the tires have done just fine in all types of weather and road conditions.

·
Registered
166 Posts
the front? That is very suprising. Are you sure your tire pressue is up to specs?
Yeah, surprised me too. I'm very careful about my tire pressures. I recall reading some time ago in this forum that others have had excessive wear problems, too. Like you, I preferred to believe the problem was tire pressure, but now that it's happened to me, I don't know what to think. Just glad the problem doesn't seem to be a common one.

George

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
+ 1 on the Wings

Gonna add my 02. as well. The Trailwings have been good to me so far. I mostly ride street but they've performed well in light, moderate and heavy rain, and even on dirt (nothing crazy, just some back roads). I don't think I'd want them for playing in the mud, but then again, they weren't designed for that. They're wearing well at 4,000-plus miles.
A side note - when I bought the Wee, the salesman said, with no prompting, 'if you do any riding in the rain, you'll love the Trailwings.' So far, he's been right.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I was also suprised at how well the TWs performed. After my "brake-in" I took her on a 4 state romp to see what she could do. I will admit I was worried about the stock rubber. Sea Level to over 16k altitude in HEAVY Rain, Dirt, Sand, Snow, Two Track, Slab, Gravel, they did a great job. With the exception of an incident in DEEP sand ... where I shouldn't have been but just couldn't resist the "test" to see how she would do ...

The fact they do so much well and last a resonably long time I keep them on my "street oriented" rims .... If Woody would come out with some shiny wire rim setup I would have some TKCs on them for my more back country adventures :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Yeah, surprised me too. I'm very careful about my tire pressures.
This is a silly question but is the tyre rotating in the correct direction?
If not it would not be the first time the bike assembler at the local dealership has fitted a front tyre backwards.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I can't say that I've had any issues with the Trail Wings either. They're not a great street tire, compared to something like Avons that I've run on other bikes. They're not bad though. I was impressed with their handling on the hill country roads. But, I'm not a real aggressive rider in the twisties and most of my riding is commuting. I've got 11,400 miles on the factory tires! The rear doesn't have much tread left, so I won't ride in the rain at the moment. I'm planning to replace both tires while I've got time off around Christmas because I haven't had time to deal with it lately. I'm taking it easy until then. Front tire doesn't look bad, but getting some cracks. I thought about staying with TW, but, I think I may go with Dunlop D607. They're more of a street tire, but apart from the occassional brief trip down a short dirt/gravel road, my riding is all highway. The Dunlops are real cheap at the shop I go to, < $100 for the rear!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have to start riding a little easier. My rear tire is done at 7500 miles. Before they were worn badly, I found them to be a competent overall tire. They are a good compromise of a tire; good in a lot of different situations, but not the best in any category. Actually, that is how I would describe the motorcycle in general. Maybe somebody at Suzuki really did make an excellent choice in tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
T W Front tire pressure for George

This is a problem if you stick to the recommended pressure in your owners manual and also what is quoted on the sidewall of the tire. I have read in several locations on this site and in different V-Strom articles that you should keep that front tire pressure between 38 to 40psi. I only have 3000 miles on my Strom but I run the front at 39, rear at 38. No cupping evident so far and the Trail Wings perform fine on the highways here in Texas.

SEE YOU DOWN THE ROAD!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought my bike with 4200 and only got another 300 on it since then. The stock tires (which I put at 40 per this site) look like new. I have only been doing around town, but the prior owner took some trips with it. I will bet they get at least 8-9K before needing replacement.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts