StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some threads on the cam chain and rotor magnets. I have an 06 1000 and I have done the valve shims on my bike . Not a very hard job just be careful. Now I'm reading about the cam chain breaking and the rotor magnets coming unglued on other 06's. The bike is bedded down for the winter and I plan to roll it into the garage in the spring for a bit of a tear down and general maint. but am I going to have to tear it apart for a major inspection? I'm not looking forward to that! Or are these isolated cases?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Cam chain problems are very rare. An inspection rotation when doing a valve clearance check is all I'd do. Magnet problems are a bit more common than I used to think but I still wouldn't worry, they aren't any harder to repair before they go bad than after and they still are not commonly found. Remember for every problem reported here, thousands of bikes are problem free.

·
Administrator
17,258 Posts
Cam chain problems are very rare. An inspection rotation when doing a valve clearance check is all I'd do. Magnet problems are a bit more common than I used to think but I still wouldn't worry, they aren't any harder to repair before they go bad than after and they still are not commonly found. Remember for every problem reported here, thousands of bikes are problem free.
Very true!!!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's making me feel better. However I just did the valve shims recently and I don't really want to rip the covers off again. But just for piece of mind I think I will when I have it in my shop in March. I guess I will have to start looking up how to do the rotor so I can take a look at the magnets. BTW is it worth it to up the stator for some more power? Extra windings might not be the best solution. Plus I'd be worried about frying the ECU.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The stock stator is by far the most reliable unit. Stick with it. I was involved here for years before seeing the first report of loose magnets. If I were you, I would not even bother checking unless you were planning a trip off the beaten path.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Grey wolf I guess I will be looking at the budget and heading to Dual Sport Plus and consider some Denali's

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been reading some threads on the cam chain and rotor magnets. I have an 06 1000 and I have done the valve shims on my bike . Not a very hard job just be careful. Now I'm reading about the cam chain breaking and the rotor magnets coming unglued on other 06's. The bike is bedded down for the winter and I plan to roll it into the garage in the spring for a bit of a tear down and general maint. but am I going to have to tear it apart for a major inspection? I'm not looking forward to that! Or are these isolated cases?
Hey Chopper,
I have personally seen one cam chain failure, and three of three 06's, that we broke down with rotor magnet failures.

We still have one 06, my daily rider, that we have not looked at.........I still am not worried...........

The vee's in question have had some hard use, and for the most part have been very easy and economical to own. I am still very happy that I purchased the Suzuki's.

I did not start those threads to "freak" anyone out, just wanted to know how common it was.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I think that all the moving magnets first symptom was a lowering of voltage output.

If you track it then you probably would see the change when the 1st one slide against the next

Example

1200 RPMS 12.5 Volts
1200 12.1

I have installed the signal dynamics voltage LED to show me system failure

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Agreed -- you don't have to take anything apart. If the magnets are moving around, charging output will drop.

Many other things can cause charging voltage to drop, of course. So you go through the usual diagnostics, and assuming the R/R is good, the stator will show low output and will likely have good resistance and continuity readings.

The Stator Papers over on TheGSresources.com are a great place to start -- the Vee uses the same charging system and suffers from the same weaknesses as the old GS Suzukis.
The GSResources - Stator Papers I - A primer on GS charging systems

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was one of the unfortunate one's with loose magnets while heading to Panama. Not fun getting parts in San Jose, C.R. 5 weeks to get parts.

One came loose and took out the stator along with needing another rotor and trying to clean bits of magnets from the motor.

I had problems w/ the right parts and ended up returning w/ deep cycle battery in rear case w/ battery charger.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I failed to see any cures for any of this

If I was heading for the boonies I'ld only feel comfortable if I had spares with me. Maybe the newer R/R installed

·
Registered
14 Posts
ı had had this problem one year ago here!

[/url][/IMG]
firstly ı am sorry for bad english
one year ago ı bought k4 dl 1000 but when ı went to for service ı understond my rotor is break down, before we thuought for stator, but my friend measure stator voltage was normal,after measure output rotor voltage every rpm the same 12.5v. normaly 5000 rpm voltage has to 13.5-14 v.
we saw that rotor's magnet was broken...and we stick not very vell,and then ı had to bought new rotor .now everthing is good ..
just ı want to share here ...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oh SURE, *N*O*W* I realize that I should never have trusted my DL1000 to get me to Deadhorse and back (16,600 mi) in 44 days!! :yikes:

If you wanna get paranoid pull you're fuel pump and inspect IT as well - mine started producing low pressure after I left Anchorage - bike wouldn't rev over 6000 rpm (in other words it wouldn't get into the FUN range) but even with a dying fuel pump I rode from Alaska all the way to WA before diagnosing the pump on a Friday, and ordering it Monday when I was north of San Francisco to be sent overnight into a dealer there...

LOVE THESE BIKES!! :thumbup:

OH, and whatever you do, do NOT run 75mph+ speeds fully loaded on the Dalton Hwy!! Besides being crazy (as I am) it WILL toast your rear wheel bearings - mine came apart in San Bernardino after all the abuse.

But I still love my Vstrom!! I abused the HELL out of it and it held up pretty darned well!

Dave in Dusty Doha, Qatar

Smugmug Photo Gallery
Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back. - ADVrider
http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2ced4dd5420cac0ea

1 - 13 of 13 Posts