StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I needed a place to keep liquids at the ready when I wasn't using my camelback. Taking a que from a fellow strommer I came up with this idea. I mounted two bicycle waterbottle cages one on each engine guard.

I went to the local bicycle and purchased two aluminum "Specialized" cages.
Then stopped past the local hardware store for some #10x1/2" self tapping screws, washers, and some two sided mounting tape.

I started by locating a proper location on the crash bars and then double checking to see if it would interfear with me or the operation of the motorcycle.

Once I esablished the proper placement, I marked the location of where the holes needed to be drilled. I then drilled two small pilot holes in each engine guard where the cages were to be mounted. I then screwed (with a cordless drill) each self tapping screw (phillips pan head as the hexhead is too tall) into place without mounting the cages. I then removed each screw. I used an oversize drill bit to chamfer the holes slightly to debur them.

I cut two strips of the thick, two sided, tape. I then mounted the tape to the backside of the waterbottle mount. I poked holes in the tape where the screws protrude through. I then inserted the screws, with the washers in place, into the mounting holes on the cages.

Put a dab of regular RTV silicone in the holes to seal them up from moisture. Then remove the backing from the two sided tape and install the cages. I used a regular screwdriver to tighten screws.

The time it took to do this was 15 minutes from start to finish. Since I now have a modular helmet, this will be my primary means of hydration while I'm out riding.

Added content: The two sided adheasive strips are there to quell the vibration between the two parts. You could use foam, rubber, etc to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Great idea. Off to the bike shop next week.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Nice work, saw a post recently and was thinking of doing the same:thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very nicly done. I did somethng similar, but had an issue with vibration causing the bottle to loosen in the holder. I wrapped a rubber band around the taller part of the holder and just stretched it over the bottle by the mouth to make sure the bottle didn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Pretty cool

You will, however, have dents in tank in case you need those crashbars. Lets say if you dumped your bike on your driveway or in the garage. Not that I ever did THAT. :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I just used a couple hose clamps to put the bottle holder on the crash bar.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I just used a couple hose clamps to put the bottle holder on the crash bar.
I like this idea better. Tapping holes in the tubing introduces points of structural weakness that can be the site of "folding" in case of crash or drop. I know it's a small chance, but the substitution of hose clamps avoids it completely.

The bottle holder itself is a good idea, though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was thinking about doing this, but was concerned about leg room. I stand a lot too and I think that might even put my legs closer. Has anyone done this and have this issue? I'll look again after I lower the pegs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts