StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Motorheads,

Gotta a good one for you. I was just here ( forum ) last week with a question about a 'clicking.' As always, you guys gave me the answer.

Got another question/observation. Did not get the new chain and sprockets yet. BUT, since tightening the chain, my ABS light has gone OFF. Which means the ABS is ON, right ?? Right.

All I did was tighten the chain. How could that happen ?? I've been riding with the light ON for about 2 years now. I tighten the chain and now I have ABS again ?!?!?!?

I guess it's possible that little bulb is out. But, that seems highly unlikely, right ??

Waddya say boys ??

·
Registered
528 Posts
THe light should be on when you start the bike, and it will go off as soon as you start moving at least a few feet. That means ABS is now activated. If it stays on, then that means no abs. Also, when abs kicks in, you will see the light flickering on. So, if your light is not coming on when you start the bike, then there is some problem.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If the light never comes on, I would suspect a fuse.

Proceed with care, if you find the fuse blown, as a short could cause damage to your wiring beyond a blown fuse if you try and replace it several times or bypass it. Shorted wires can heat up and melt insulation and cause damage to the wiring it is bundled with.

Replacing it once, to test and see if it was incidental is not a bad idea, but if it blows again (rapidly) -it means you should start looking for bare insulation from chaffing in the wiring, or perhaps a shorted out component. It is not uncommon for a fuse to blow if something is inadvertently shorted out in the process of other work that involves electrical connections or wiring, but you didn't mention anything of that sort, which is a little worrying. Without looking at the diagram, I don't know if 12VDC is sent to the wheel sensor, but I would look closely at it and the connected wiring because of proximity and the possibility of chaffing.

I hope that the answer is simply a fuse and that your system is back up and functioning soon.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Did you monkey around with the rear wheel abs sensor when tightening the chain? Use a 12mm wrench to remove it, take a close look at the wire leading to the sensor for nicks/cracks, and follow the wire up inspecting along the way. Take a look at the tip, it should be flat, not round or jagged.

Did you wash the rear tire/rim before doing a chain adjustment....you ABS sensor ring might have been clogged with mud/etc....Inspect the sensor ring for that or damage.

Was the back tire off recently? The caliper can be re-assembled incorrectly(there is a slot it fits in) which may or may not affect ABS sensor readings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Motor7. I did monkey around with the rear wheel. Had to when I tightened the chain. While I was there, I thoroughly cleaned everything I could get to/reach. Like I said earlier ( I think ), when I was all done the ABS seems to be working again !!!

So, I assume I must have cleaned off whatever was preventing the ABS from working. Don't have a clue though whether it was a sensor, wire, etc. I don't even know where those things are. I'm stupid.
Thanks for your reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts