StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the pleasure of finally sitting on the new 1000 at the bike show in NYC. It is a very nice bike. I thought the fit and finish of the bike was excellent.
I did look at all the rest of the dual sport bikes. I cannot believe the the KLR actually has a new/much better front spring set along with a new improved rear spring...and...new comfortable seat. Had a "great" chat with the gentleman who took the reviewers to Spain to ride this bike. The point he was making is that Suzuki wanted to stick to a "price point" that was affordable and make a very good bike for someone who wanted a dual sport type of bike.
I wii say, in my opinion, that it looks "much" better when you see it in real life.
It is, in my opinion, a very nice bike for around twelve grand! Oh, I was told that the headlights are 12% brighter than the older 1000. That is a good thing.
I am 6'2" tall and weigh 220 and the bike seamed very comfortable. Nice seat...I love the narrow tank...the bars felt right. The windshield is interesting how it ratchets up and down...does not feel any heavier than my '12 650.
Obviously, if you plan on doing dirt roads you would want some type of bash plate to protect the engine.
Obviously I did not drive this bike. I am sure it has a lot of zip/torque. I think that 100 hp will be "more" than adequate. If you want to spend eight or nine grand more there is always a BMW GS.
Overall, I personally feel that the new 1000 will be my next bike....as soon as I wear out my 2012 650!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
OK so how did the red one look to you? I gotta know!!!!

When they talk about the headlight being brighter, I wonder - since the new setup has only the one headlight, right - do they mean the one headlight is 12% brighter than the old two headlights combined, or just 12% brighter than one of the previous headlight type. I mean it's great that it's a new headlight bulb and all, but going from two good headlights to one "gooder" one, do we still have a net loss?

I will grill the Suzuki rep when they come 'round to DC early next month. Thanks for sharing your impressions!

·
Registered
865 Posts
When they talk about the headlight being brighter, I wonder - since the new setup has only the one headlight, right - do they mean the one headlight is 12% brighter than the old two headlights combined, or just 12% brighter than one of the previous headlight type. I mean it's great that it's a new headlight bulb and all, but going from two good headlights to one "gooder" one, do we still have a net loss?
Two headlights:

Mototribu - Suzuki 2014, 1000 V-Strom

·
Registered
646 Posts
OK so how did the red one look to you? I gotta know!!!!

I will grill the Suzuki rep when they come 'round to DC early next month. Thanks for sharing your impressions!
Whether one or two headlights, 12% brighter is an overall figure, yes the old ones had two but that does not equate to double the lighting, just you have two doing the job of what now ones does, shame I know.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
two headlights...15% brighter

I think the bike has two headlights...and I was told that the overall light output was 15% brighter than the older 1000.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
another impression

posted on another thread, thought I would put in my 2 cents here. Thanks Mrpete64 for your take on the Vee2 :thumbup:

Just came back from IMS in NYC. Observations.

I got there early, and was greeted by a gorgeous blond representative from Suzuki. Not a bad way to start. I sat on the Vee2, and it felt as nimble as my '11 Wee. Also, my Wee is lowered 1" in the rear, and with the stock Vee2 seat I was able to plant a good part of my feet on the ground. Suzuki states the stock seat height is 33" I believe, but whatever they did, it is much easier to plant my feet. I will not get the lowered seat. Fit and finish was very good. As stated previously, some type of bashplate will be needed of course, just as protection at the very least to road debris. It is all I want my bike to be. I told myself that if Suzuki made the new Vee2 as good as my Wee with more power and a few goodies, I would buy it. I did check out the '14 1200GS, Concours 14, FJR 1300, S10 and Honda CTX1300 just for kicks. In the end, the Vee2 works for me. I only do 5% of my riding off blacktop. The weight of the Vee2 is also key for me. The 1200GS with lowered suspension and seat was really comfortable for me, but I do not need all the gadgets, and it is $8000. more than the Vee2 - I cannot justify the extra money for items I will not use.

I will be getting the standard version without the adventure farkles, as I would like to put on other brands. I did speak with Twisted Throttle, and gave them my opinion that the Vee2 will be a big seller, and they should jump the gun and get the farkles ready for purchase. The rep. said that a good portion of their business was dedicated to the Wee/Glee - not surprising. It will be interesting, and I assume a challenge, for companies to produce farkles for this model. Excited about that.

In the end, many have spoken about an evolution, not revolution. It is apparent that Suzuki built on the Wee/Glee and previous Vstrom 1000 in the production of the Vee2. I would guess that by doing this they reduced their research, development and production costs - good for them. And in my estimation, good for us, as in reality the Vee2 is proven technology that has stood the test of time.

Looking forward to a great 2014 riding season, including the Berkshires in August, Fall Peep show in October, maybe Cape Breton and West Virginia.
Happy riding.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I only just got my wee this year, so cant see buying the new Vee2 next year, but when it's time I can't wait. I've had the 1100gs, 2 x 1150GS' ADV, 3 x 1200gs' ADV, so not hankering for a GS again, but something lighter and this fills the criteria................. Thanks for the info to the guys that went to see the bike.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just looked at pics on Suzuki's website. Can't get past the looks, regardless how well it performs. Sorry, it's butt ugly !!!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just ask my wife. She married me, and she still thinks I'm attractive, despite my beak. ;)

I think the new vee looks as good or better than any other adventure touring bike. And the relative cost makes it look even better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I saw the new Vee at the Long Beach show. I am very impressed. Sitting on the bike it feels, for whatever reason, significantly lighter than my '12 Wee. I know it isn't but it feels that way. Beautiful bike. I think Suzuki has a winner and I think the Wee vs. Vee discussion will soon become moot.

As I was walking out of the show I saw a guy pull up on a new Indian Chief (another beautiful bike!) that had a manufacturer plate. I asked if he was with Indian and he said that he was a writer for Motorcycle Consumer News and was testing the Indian. We spoke about different bikes and when I mentioned I ride a Wee he smiled and said that his personal ride was a Wee. I felt some what vindicated for some reason when he told me that. He then went on to tell me all about the new Vee and as a professional commentator on motorcycles he was very impressed with the Vee. Told me all about the new design generally said that it was a great bike.

The new Vee will definitely need something to protect the underside and front of the engine as the front header really sticks out. No biggie. The bike looks great in black.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree...

When lifting the new 1000 up from the side stand it felt no heavier than my '12 650. In my opinion the 1000 is a very improved 650. Both are great bikes. The 1000 will, no doubt, from discussions with the guys discussing the bike, handle better.
The way I drive, now at 67, it is ALL the motorcycle I will ever need. Hell, my 650 has all the power I really need.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Much Younger

At 65 I am much younger than Aging Hippie--but I agree. My 07 Wee is more power than I need but the 14 VeeBeak is on order and should arrive in March. A little more power with equal or better handling, low weight, abs and traction control--not what I need-but it sure is what I want!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Overall, I personally feel that the new 1000 will be my next bike....as soon as I wear out my 2012 650!
I agree!

I sat on it in Dallas in November, I initially detested the beak, but it does look better in person. I liked the red color over the black, but the black is a lot better than that puke gold.

I also sat on all the others, the Tiger explorer 1200 felt like it was made of lead, same goes for the big Yamaha Super Ten.

The only bike I actually liked better was the new BMW 1250 GS for such a big comfortable bike it felt like a feather weight, but too much $$$, now if I win the lotto, yes of course!

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the beak-strom also has the best instrument cluster of all of them IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Speaking for the younger generation (I'm only 64!), the Veak1000 really does feel "right" sitting on it. Even more so than my '08 wee, and that's sayin' something.

I believe I sat on every adv bike at the NYC show. Two of them - BMW1200gs & KTM 1190 - felt as comfortable and ergonomically astute, but at a lot more $$$, so forget about it! And then there's the Ducati Multistrada, a magnificent ride at more than 10,000 bucks beyond the Veak price point. If I had $23,400 lying around to spend on a bike, I might consider it above all the others, but as it is, I'm going to be very happy riding a Veak.

If the spirit moves me, who knows, I may do some minor surgery - shave a couple inches off the beak, borrow a 3D printer, come up with a new tip. On close inspection, it strikes me as a pretty worthless appendage, though someone will, no doubt, devise a farkle to make it useful. It's definitely a nifty place to hide the extra key . . . a small can of lube . . . nose drops.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Couldn't agree more with Psykedelic, Mr. Pete and Altacan. I also sat on all the other bikes that were even remotely contenders. The one I was impressed with the most BESIDES my upcoming Vee2, was the 1200GS- lowered seat and suspension. But, it was also about $8,000 more, and I will never use all of the gadgets. I hope Suzuki realizes that the Vee2 blurs the lines between the 650 and 1000 except for $$$.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Have yet to read anything negative about the Vee2 other than the appearance debate. Sounds like Suzuki addressed what was needed. Likely to be my next and final new ride. Tend to forget how well rounded the Vee is until straying from the path. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Little bag of bird seed... on a stick

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
For those that attended the IMS:
Did Moto Guzzi have the Stelvio there?
No one has mentioned it...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts