StromTrooper banner

A Few Aux Lighting Questions

2775 10
Hi there.

I know there are lots of posts about light installation, but I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread.

After doing some research, I decided to buy an Eastern Beaver headlight relay system for my 2012 DL650A (as compared to making one myself). In addition, I will be connecting some auxiliary lights (front and back), and that is where my questions are based on.

1) For the front aux lights (2 x 8 watt LED), I would like them to be on when my high beams are on. I usually ride with high beams on during the day to be a bit more visible. I rarely drive at night. What is the best way to connect these lights? Directly to the wires where the EB harness connects to the bulbs?

2) I am adding an LED "third brake light". I am just going to connect the brake light wire and not the running light wire (so it will only be on when the brake is applied). Should I be connecting a relay to that, or am I OK to wire the ground and power wire directly?

Thank you for the help!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
1) For the front aux lights (2 x 8 watt LED), I would like them to be on when my high beams are on. I usually ride with high beams on during the day to be a bit more visible. I rarely drive at night. What is the best way to connect these lights? Directly to the wires where the EB harness connects to the bulbs?

I would wire it via a separate switch. Ther will come the day where you want to or have to turn them on / off separately.

2) I am adding an LED "third brake light". I am just going to connect the brake light wire and not the running light wire (so it will only be on when the brake is applied). Should I be connecting a relay to that, or am I OK to wire the ground and power wire directly?

Eastern Beaver has a connection kit, that's the easiest way to wire. If just the brake function you can use a couple of posi tap connectors. They work well and don't harm the OEM harness.

·
Registered
540 Posts
1) For the front aux lights (2 x 8 watt LED), I would like them to be on when my high beams are on. Directly to the wires where the EB harness connects to the bulbs?
2) I am adding an LED "third brake light". .... OK to wire the ground and power wire directly?
Hopeful, I'd agree with Blaustrom for the front aux lights. Set them on their own switch and use them as you need. I would recommend that you power them from 'switched' power so that they can only be on when the key is on. As for the brake light, I added two LED lights (6 leds in each light) to my brakes long ago and just wired them direct into the existing brake light line. No issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Looks like the brake light is sorted. I will use those posi-taps and wire directly.

If I do use the switch for the front lights, would I need to use a separate relay? The wires on the aux lights are pretty small (and they are only 8 watts), so I am assuming power going through the switch will be OK?

Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If I do use the switch for the front lights, would I need to use a separate relay? The wires on the aux lights are pretty small
well, I guess it all depends on what "pretty small" means. Wire gauge size is dependent on amps drawn by the lights. There are a number of web sites that discuss 12 volt wire gauge for loads. One option is 12 Volt Wiring: Wire Gauge to Amps | Offroaders.com Their pretty colored table factors in length of wire for voltage drops. Watts=Volts x Amps. Personally, I would not think a relay would be needed for 8 watt LED lights. Others on this forum know more than I do -- hopefully they'll chime in.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
16 watts is well under 2 amps, so you could take power off the heated grip connector, or even the Aux connector in the front cowling. EB makes cables for both of these if you just want to plug in. The wire to the horn is switched positive (hot with ignition on), so that would be another option.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wired my aux lights to the unused headlight connection, after installing the headlight relay kit. The EB relay kit only uses one of the original headlight connections, so I used the other for the lights. I wanted mine to come on with high beams. I didn't use a relay because I went from a 55 watt bulb to 16 watts worth of LED's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a big fan of LED headlights. I had some on my last bike, and I found the OEM lights to be brighter. I am sure some newer LEDs would be better that what I had, but I just wasn't a fan. Mind you, I don't ride at night much, so maybe LED headlights will do the trick. Something to think about for sure.

·
Vendor
7,485 Posts
The answer to the question how do I get my LED lights to come on withe high beams is:

Use a relay (or wiring harness with a relay). Connect the "voltage present sensing wire" to the positive lead to the high beam.

For instance with our LED light wiring harness, red wire to battery positive, black wire to battery negative, white wire to high beam positive via positap.

This will turn the LEDs on and off with the high/low beam switch and give you a switch to turn the LEDs off if you want only the high beam.

Suzuki Auxiliary LED Lighting - AdventureTech, LLC.

Or, buy a relay at a auto parts store and do the same except without the ability to turn off the LEDs when the high beam is on. If you go this route you might want to check out V-Strom electrical wiring 101.

Basic V-Strom Wiring 101

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.