StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me. I now have 200 miles (wow!) on my '05 DL1000; the weather allowed me to put 120 miles on it this past Friday. We rode from Charlotte to Morrow Mtn. and Lake Tillery.

I am really beginning to enjoy the bike but I have had about 4 short rides and the ride on Friday. At the end of every ride I find one small drop of oil on the right side about 1 inch from the rear of the skid plate/lower fairing. It is only one small drop. I have searched all over the right side of the engine and can find no place from which the oil can leak , especially one small drop. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I installed a Power Commander from Fuel Moto on the bike and the hitch or miss at 2500-3000 is gone. Jamie at Fuel Moto was very helpful, the unit was preprogrammed and I installed in about 30 minutes; ten of which was locating the plug on the left side of the bike.

I am glad I got the ride in on Friday; the weather is turning back to winter now and riding may be scarce.

D

·
0 Posts
oldrlrider said:
At the end of every ride I find one small drop of oil on the right side about 1 inch from the rear of the skid plate/lower fairing. .. I have searched all over the right side of the engine and can find no place from which the oil can leak
Old "shade tree" mechanic's trick: clean the underside of the engine to remove any oil/grease; then dust the case with corn starch (yes, corn starch). Ride it around a bit. Wherever oil comes in contact with the corn starch, it will leave a very visible trail. Obviously, this won't work if the roads are wet..

V

·
0 Posts
The drop could be coming from an oil breather hose or from the airbox breather hose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts