StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get a cheap GPS for my wee. It needs to have turn-by-turn directions and I'd prefer something waterproof and mounts well, but the only "need" is directions. I've been thinking about getting a used Garms GPS V, but have concerns that memory isn't large enough to hold many maps at all. Anyone have any recommendations or trying to sell one themselves? I also have a TomTom already I've been thinking about getting a bracket for, but I'd rather have a separate GPS for the bike with a mount included. Thanks a lot!

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Look at the Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550 (same unit with different maps pre-loaded). They cost around $250. I have the 550 and it works great, plus it's waterproof.

·
Registered
281 Posts
+1 It also has topographical maps as well. Not easy to work with gloves on and no QWERTY keyboard layout. Doesn't support headphones either. It is a small 3.5" display and not one of the widescreen models.

Despite all that it is a great little GPS. Don't submerge it but no issues in the rain. Fits easily in a pocket but thicker than newer models. Also has been extremely reliable for me not like some of my other Nuvis which would spontaneously reboot or take 10 minutes to boot up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I picked up a garmin street pilot 2720 on ebay for $100, another $45 for the motorcycle locking mount, it will do topo maps, and waterproof IPV7. it also holds all north American maps. Any 27xx or 28xx series will work, stay away from the 26xx street pilot series, there aren't any more maps for it since 2009.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I'd suggest buying an inexpensive Garmin Nuvi and either a waterproof case, or use a ziplock.

Do you want a headphone connection? MP3 player? Topo maps?

The 2xxx series don't have the high sensitivity receiver, internal battery, and may not have the latest maps. The Nuvi 500/550 doesn't have a headphone jack or MP3 player but does have topo maps (500).

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I hope this question isn't too ignorant: What's the best way to mount a GPS on a 'Strom?
Depends on the unit. Some have motorcycle mounts available, some not. The simplest approach is usually a u-bolt mount to the handlebars and wiring the harness to the battery. If it's a motorcycle unit, I prefer to mount it as close as possible to your line of sight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice guys and keep it coming! Those streetmate's look like the ticket! Waterproof and affordable! Just not built in battery....

Thanks!

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Occasional or in a pinch, use can be had by a smartphone GPS and a aquabox / otterbox. However, I put mine in the tank bag map pouch and it can connect to your com system via bluetooth or use ear buds.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I did quite a bit of research before buying a GPS for the motorcycle. The motorcycle-specific models were crazy expensive. I wanted topo maps, water resistance and toughness. For the money the Garmin Nuvi 500 has served me well. Here's a full review from my blog. The only issue that I've found is that vibrations tend to make it lose power when plugged in and thus when charged, I just run it on batteries. It is a rather easy thing to deal with. Also, if you're curious on attaching it to your V-Strom, there's an article for that too.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Define "cheap".

Try googling "refurbished GPS" or "refurbished Garmin". Among other hits you'll likely end up at tigergps.com. I picked up a refurbed 2720 for $109 last year and ordered the motorcycle mounting kit for about $40. A friend and I fabbed a mounting bracket that comes off the windshield mount.

The 2720s are rather big and heavy when compared with Nuvis/Zumos, and have no battery backup, but they're waterproof and work great. For some reason, Garmin treated me to a free 2011 map upgrade recently.

To go really cheap, I used a Garmin i5 on my bike for a while. It's not water or shock proof, and are intended for car use only, but I bodged together a mount out of zip ties and used it for most of a year without any problems. Behind the windshield it was never subject to direct rain. It survived Hurricane Ike.

One of the inexpensive Nuvis would do the same job, and if you're worried about waterproofing, put it in an Otter Box, a ziploc baggie or under the map window on a tank bag.

Any of the small handheld units that have road maps would work, with the bonus of having an onboard battery and being waterproof.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
+1 for the Nuvi 500 / Strombone mount. Found a new Nuvi for approx $200 back in May. Spend a fair amount of time off pavement and have never had a problem with the mount. :yesnod:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use a Garmin 660 that I already had and installed a Powerlet and bought the ram mount. For foul weather I can just toss it in the viewable map pocket of my tank bag. It works very well for me.

·
Registered
962 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts