StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick pointer to a more elaborate post in the "Route Sheets" section.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/403650-new-zealand-8000mi-12-000km-bdr-adventure-touring-route.html

It's nearly done, 12.200km are in the bag with only a single section of the route missing and waiting to be checked out and photographed.

Approx. 2000-2500km to come for the last bit, bringing the total project to over 14.000km documented in maps, photos + links.
Each section interlinks with the ones above and below (as in North + South), allowing for a variety of mix+match routes, each with its own perks and character.

Surprised myself...but things just kept growing.:wink2:

Some polishing and fine-tuning is still to be done plus there will be constant updates to the routes and maps as well as a related "Hot News" thread containing up-to-minute news, events, travel-tips, further links etc.

Here's a link to it's permanent home, containing the entire project plus associated, general NZ-info threads.

Adventure-Touring New Zealand...Top To Bottom - AusTouring.com

Completion date will be March 2019 after I've had a chance to thoroughly ride, travel and check out the most south-eastern part of the North Island to tie the routes of the 2 islands together via the ferry services between Wellington and Picton.

Ridin' NZ....it's a screamer!!:fineprint:

Kia Ora :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
WOW.
I had time check only one pictures link and....WOW

There was a road sign: "25 fords unmetalled"
Fords being water crossings, but "unmetalled" is what, lack of bridge?

Link saved. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow
Awesome

Harry
WOW.
I had time check only one pictures link and....WOW

There was a road sign: "25 fords unmetalled"
Fords being water crossings, but "unmetalled" is what, lack of bridge?

Link saved. Thanks!

Thanks for looking in :smile2:
Sounds like you picked some of the Nevis Rd. in the South Island there, great spot!!
Yes about the ford/ water crossing, but unmetalled principally means that there is no constructed or maintained bottom to the ford. The crossing can be anything from muddy-soft to rock or root based....just a natural crossing without any added rock/cement/ cinder-blocks or whatever to stabilize it.

You could be in for a paddle... bike and gear included. Sorta like this :grin2:

And after some rains, that number of crossings on the Nevis can blow out...considerably.
It's a slow ride up there....but OMG, it's FUN!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job.
One of my favorite rides is through the Nevis north to south then turn around and ride back again.
It sure is one of the (many) highlights of the place.
Personally, I wouldn't know which stretch to rank over an other, there's just too much great stuff around.
Rainbow is up there, as is Skippers (with the tail-end to The Branches in particular).
Porika, the Maruia Saddle, Dunstan and Lake Onslow, the gravel + beaches in the Catlins, some short+sweet bits on the Banks Peninsula...the list never ends.
Then repeat on the North Island.

For us it's into the Greater Wairarapa next March, an area I only ever rode through once in 2005, but didn't get to spend any serious time on.
That'll also complete the NZ Routing project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts