StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just joined the site and wanted to get some feedback from some of you on the best replacement seat to buy for my 2019 vstrom 650. I've had a Sergeant on a previous bike and it wasn't bad, but think I could do better. Any comment on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I will be 65 years old this year and just couldn't go without another wee-strom. Love 'em. Thanks

·
Vendor
5,422 Posts
Russel is the gold standard. Pretty much undisputed. Some find fugly and not best option off road, but the most comfortable available for the long haul.

Seat Concepts has a nice frugal option (~$180) that provides a tractor shaped replacement foam and new cover. A big improvement over stock. Stay away from Rick Mayer and his brother, but there are a bunch of good custom options that largely depend on here you live. For example in the Carolinas there is a place with a great reputation and the same for Seattle. But you need to ride in.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I went through 3 different seat mfg's before getting a Russell.....hands down it's the best, but be prepared to pony up about $500. Is it worth it....yep.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Sit & Fly seat cover with a gel waffle seat insert under that. Doesn't look any uglier than a custom seat and all day comfortable.

Cost is the only downside, <$40.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Another Sit&Fly fan. It is a sturdy 3d mesh cover. I use it on the stock V2 seat and its good enough for all day riding. At NEVA19 about half the bikes had that cover. That should tell you something. Additional benefit is you are not sitting in a puddle of water when its raining (with the well known consequences that is causing ;-)) get your behind cooled when its hot and ice cold when its cold - that is probably not a benefit.

NEVA20 Rally: Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock
Save The Dates: July 31 to August 2, 2020
WWW.NEVA20.COM
NEVA20 - July 31 to August 2, 2020 - Catskills NY - Cooperstown - Woodstock

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Reactions: Byronw

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
I have a Russel Sport and find it very good. I'm considering getting it adjusted further back about an inch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Russell is the ONLY way to go for extended road trips, hands down. BUT, they just don't work for me at all around town.
Sargent is the best commuting compromise for me & what I use day to day now.
Terry Adcox's seats are a tremendous value and personally I find them great for at least 500 mile days.
I intend to have another built later this year for road trip usage. He custom makes them to your specs.
Set & Fly is ok if you can take the stock seat's 'crowned' profile, I can not.
Corbin is ok if you like 'em low & firm ,I advise folks to try / ride on one before purchase if at all possible.
I have had more than one of each over the last 15 or so years, on a Tiger, KLR 650, '08 650, '07 1000, and '15 650 so I can talk about 'em in depth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
"Terry Adcox's seats are a tremendous value and personally I find them great for at least 500 mile days"

Terry is a standup guy and I really like my seat but order early as he is generally booked up. Never hurts to ask however.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Russel is the gold standard. Pretty much undisputed. Some find fugly and not best option off road, but the most comfortable available for the long haul.

Seat Concepts has a nice frugal option (~$180) that provides a tractor shaped replacement foam and new cover. A big improvement over stock. Stay away from Rick Mayer and his brother, but there are a bunch of good custom options that largely depend on here you live. For example in the Carolinas there is a place with a great reputation and the same for Seattle. But you need to ride in.
I have a Rick Mayer on my Trophy. Awesome seat, couldn't imagine the actual RDL being any better. Had it for years, put some Snowstuff waterproofing on it every 5 years whether it needs it or not. Couldn't have done the Iron Butt trip without it. I got it from another Trophy forum member. I understand there are customer relations issues sometimes, though.

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: tgeliot

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm another fan of the Russell Day Long (that's actually my bike pictured in post #2 that was taken from the Russell site) after trying a Corbin, Sargent, gel pads, sheepskin, Airhawks, and my own memory foam creations. The best and most important improvement I've done to the bike, 84K miles and counting.

The Terry Adcox seat look good too, similar design.

Reactions: tgeliot

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
RDL for the win but I found it too tall for me on the Wee. Loved it on my previous ride.

Terry Adcox was pretty close. BeadRider and Airhawk are lower cost approaches.

Guess I should try a SitnFly given the kudos.

I have a Sargent on my KLR in Aus and it works well. Have tried others. Leatherman and Corbin but RDL was tops.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Another SitnFly fan here?.
Had a RDL on my R1100R and liked it. My bony 72yo arse loves the SitnFly and SWMBO gave it her seal of approval her first ride on it!

·
Vendor
5,422 Posts
I suppose Rick Mayer may have gotten better. But back when I had my ST1300 I sent him money without checking feedback on the forum. Had I checked all the problems were clearly documented. He promised everyone a seat in 6 weeks. After six months, and as many broken promises I had to threaten going to the credit card company to get my money back. Then he lied and told me he had already sent me a refund check. To weeks later the check arrived with a post date a week after he said he sent it.

Perhaps his seats have gotten better too. Back then he had a high rate of highly disappointed customers. It was all documented on the ST1300 forum and others back then.

Perhaps he has gotten better. When I attended the BMW rally in WA state, there were people milling about in the crowd in front of his vendor booth to warn people and explain their problems with him and warn people away.

It's good that you got a good seat though. And maybe he has turned himself around, but I'll never personally buy from him or personally recommend anyone else does either.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I suppose Rick Mayer may have gotten better. But back when I had my ST1300 I sent him money without checking feedback on the forum. Had I checked all the problems were clearly documented. He promised everyone a seat in 6 weeks. After six months, and as many broken promises I had to threaten going to the credit card company to get my money back. Then he lied and told me he had already sent me a refund check. To weeks later the check arrived with a post date a week after he said he sent it.

Perhaps his seats have gotten better too. Back then he had a high rate of highly disappointed customers. It was all documented on the ST1300 forum and others back then.

Perhaps he has gotten better. When I attended the BMW rally in WA state, there were people milling about in the crowd in front of his vendor booth to warn people and explain their problems with him and warn people away.

It's good that you got a good seat though. And maybe he has turned himself around, but I'll never personally buy from him or personally recommend anyone else does either.
Hi Rick,

Maybe I got lucky with the quality. I bought it from a forum member 8 or 9 years ago. He had it made for him and his wife, so I suspect it is now 11-12 years old. Yeah, I have seen the reports such as your experience, too. That would turn me away. I can't fault the seat, though. I did find out the fellow I bought it from was about the same size, weight and arm length as me so could be pretty sure of a good fit.

There are no real low budget options anymore as afar as actual replacement seats go. Maybe the Seat Concepts is the new normal (or Sit n Fly?).

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: richlandrick
1 - 20 of 44 Posts