StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this forum a bit and considering a wee many seem to pine for a cruise control. This worked great on my klr and should work on wee I think.

search on youtube "Cheapest Cruise control for KLR 650"

·
Registered
114 Posts
The o-ring "cruise control" was a big thing on the Kawasaki Concours. We even had a part# for a yellow Caterpillar o-ring! Lots of folks used them to good effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I keep one of those fat O-rings in my tool tube....just in case my Rostra ever decides to quit on a long trip.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the o-ring way that might be easier...gonna try that too.

google "O-Ring Cruise Control for Motorcycles"

·
Administrator
17,523 Posts
The o-ring "cruise control" was a big thing on the Kawasaki Concours. We even had a part# for a yellow Caterpillar o-ring! Lots of folks used them to good effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha....I have 3 sitting in my home office desk drawer.

·
Registered
858 Posts
nice low tech approach - i have read about people using a rubber o-ring in there
Yeah - the big yellow honker off a Caterpillar. It does work *if* you have the proper end weight gap to roll it into.

·
Registered
858 Posts

I would *not* recommend this method of mounting as it's "always on" and no easy way to remove in motion.
Traditionally it's been used on the outer bar end weight and throttle - much like the Kaoko it provides a friction lock.
Unlike teh Kaoko it is always possible to roll back on the throttle without messing with anything.
So basically you let it ride on your bar end until you need to use it then you roll it on with your palm into the groove.
Just roll it out to stop using it. Unfortunately the Strom (well mine anyway) has a wide gap and the o-ring doesn't have enough to work with. The Kaoko actually has to provide a sleeve that it uses to apply pressure to the throttle.
I found a Kaoko cheap so I didn't McGuyver the o-ring of which I have a few.
My suggestion would be to cut a disc of plastic from a black Chinese takeout dish or large fender washer and put it between teh bar end and the throttle - it needs to be thick enough to provide a narrow groove for the o-ring to sit in and provide friction. Maybe even treat the disc with some of that spray on tool handle coating to increase the grip.
Make teh disc short enough where your palm can work against the o-ring to roll on and off.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Yeah - the big yellow honker off a Caterpillar. It does work *if* you have the proper end weight gap to roll it into.
I found a solution when I took the end weight off my SV650 and put on bar end mirrors, a spacer made with 3/4" copper slip coupling filled with lead

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
This was my cheap-o solution; I made it out of sheet plastic after I saw a photo on line of a commercially made one. My cost was basically zip, since I had the plastic, screw and spring laying around from other projects. The tension was adjustable to get just the right friction on the grip.

I was still damn glad to get an actual cruise control on the Super Ten.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothing beats installing a Rostra, but it's not super easy. It IS super nice on long trips. Now I'm spoiled and can't think of not having a cruise control!! Tried a throttle lock- Vista, but now I'd hate to live without the rostra!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts