StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello there! I am wanting to purchase a DL650 and the one i am considering has 95K miles. Is that alot for a DL 650? I am being told there was regular maintenance at the local suzuki shop. what do you guys think? is $2999 a good price for this? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The wee could still have quite a bit of life yet. I'd be going over all maintenance records though. By then a lot of maintenance and replacements should have been done. Just because of possible work and parts you might have to invest I'd say say no more than $2500. Are there any farkles with it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not a lot that I can see. Pretty stock. I was going to offer $2300
$2400 out the door. not sure how long these engines last?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I know of some with over 150,000 miles. A maintenance record will be important.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
My Chrysler Concorde has 500,000kms.
I had a BMW k100 with 450,000kms (the other one has a quarter of that and was in worse shape).
My track car had 265,000kms.
I expect to drive my golf past the million (soon).
My Honda reflex has 20,000 miles and I expect to have it for another trouble-free 20,000.
My wee has 40,000kms and I don't expect any major work until 120,000.
(yeah, I drive a lot)

Don't go by the mileage of a machine, look at how well it was maintained and how well it runs.

Any idiot can kill a bulletproof vehicle in less than 1,000kms. Any genius can maintain a Friday-built lada past the million mile mark.

If the bike is ok, then it's ok. If the bike runs badly, then it's garbage.

Why are you asking us? It's not like we can tell from here...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I recently bought an '07 DL650A with almost 80,000 miles from the original owner who took very good care of it. I sleep like a baby. If they are well-maintained these bikes will take the miles.

Ask the seller for receipts and maintenance records and go from there.

My Chrysler Concorde has 500,000kms.
I had a BMW k100 with 450,000kms (the other one has a quarter of that and was in worse shape).
My track car had 265,000kms.
I expect to drive my golf past the million (soon).
My Honda reflex has 20,000 miles and I expect to have it for another trouble-free 20,000.
My wee has 40,000kms and I don't expect any major work until 120,000.
(yeah, I drive a lot)

Why are you asking us? It's not like we can tell from here...
It's so awesome how much you drive!

I really wanted to know more about you and I am much less interested that the OP gets an accurate, concise answer to his question.

I remember having lunch with two friends. The first one mentioned that he had girlfriend problems, the second responded with how frequently and masterfully he seduced Rosie Palm. Didn't really help the first guy, but the next time I met the second guy, I invented the fist bump.

·
Registered
267 Posts
hello there! I am wanting to purchase a DL650 and the one i am considering has 95K miles. Is that alot for a DL 650? I am being told there was regular maintenance at the local suzuki shop. what do you guys think? is $2999 a good price for this? thanks in advance
You don't say what year it is and I guess that doesn't make much differences but why buy a bike with almost 100K when you can buy a bike for the same money or just a few $ more or for the same price. Look around there are plenty of DL650 for sale with under 50K even under 20K. And $3000 is too much money in the first place. Someone has to pay for those miles all ready on the bike and it should not be you but the person who put the miles on it in the first place. :thumbdown:

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Hmmm, seems like a lot of miles for the 650. They're not the stoutest engine out there, and there's examples of SV's (well maintained ones) just flat wearing out in the low 100,000s.

If I was a 3-5k/yr rider and didn't get too far from home, maybe. If I did more miles and/or took long trips, definitely not.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have a Vee with 72,000 miles. It has been well maintained and run on synthetic oil from the beginning. I expect it to go well into the 100,000 + miles range. I do not hesitate to take it on long trips.

If it looks good, runs good and is what you want get it. I would worry less about price than condition. Have a shop do a compression test with a leak down test also. This will give you a good indication of rings and valve condition.

No matter what price you get it for, somebody will chime in and tell you it could have been bought cheaper.

Like Mr Duck, I run my cars and trucks many miles. So, I am less afraid of high mileage than some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the insight on the 95k Strom. I just wanted a little insight I guess. All comments were very helpful. Hopefully I will be riding one soon.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I would suggest if you can spend more on a bike, wait for one with lower mileage, especially if you want to be the one to run it up to 95k miles. Also, I don't know if the Suzuki financing offer is over, but a new one might be the way to go if you can afford it.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Also, I don't know if the Suzuki financing offer is over, but a new one might be the way to go if you can afford it.
Our sputtering economy need more of this forward kind of thinking.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Too much money for that bike. Even if the engine & transmission are still OK, every wear item from front to back would be suspect. None of them are terribly pricey except maybe the shock, but every moving part wears, needs maintenance that might not be in the book, and will wear out some day...and this bike is approaching that day. If the price was less and the buyer a good wrench twister, maybe OK.

·
Registered
522 Posts
. Any genius can maintain a Friday-built lada past the million mile mark.
I have to disagree on that one. Takes 2 geniuses and a spare Skoda for the wrong parts that were installed anyway!!!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
It's so awesome how much you drive!

I really wanted to know more about you and I am much less interested that the OP gets an accurate, concise answer to his question.

I remember having lunch with two friends. The first one mentioned that he had girlfriend problems, the second responded with how frequently and masterfully he seduced Rosie Palm. Didn't really help the first guy, but the next time I met the second guy, I invented the fist bump.
Damn you! There you go nullifying my lone ignore list entry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts