StromTrooper banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think the ethanol and octane questions are separate things. You can always go with a higher octane. It will only hurt your wallet. The problem comes with lower octane. Personally, I have had problems with ethanol in small engines like chain saws and mowers. I also had a problem when I was a kid with a car made in '74. Some of the rubber in the fuel system just dissolved over time. For quite awhile I would only use (what at the time was called) gasohol if I planned to burn the whole tank. For the last 10 or 15 years I have been using 10% alcohol in everything bigger than my lawnmower all the time and have had no problem.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I think the ethanol and octane questions are separate things. You can always go with a higher octane. It will only hurt your wallet. The problem comes with lower octane. Personally, I have had problems with ethanol in small engines like chain saws and mowers. I also had a problem when I was a kid with a car made in '74. Some of the rubber in the fuel system just dissolved over time. For quite awhile I would only use (what at the time was called) gasohol if I planned to burn the whole tank. For the last 10 or 15 years I have been using 10% alcohol in everything bigger than my lawnmower all the time and have had no problem.
Generally yes they are two separate items unless alcohol is sometimes used as the octane booster.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I try to buy fuel from top tier manufacturers but sometimes when out in the middle of nowhere and there is one pump and the word "Gas" on the sign is good enough for me. I don't care what it is its beats pushing.
I like running E-0, 91 octane in mine. If could get 87 E-0, I would buy that. The bigger thing is buy top tier. Out in the hinterland, anything will do, but around my area, most of the E-0 91 oct. pumps have a dedicated nozzle apart from the 87 & 88; although there is more and more E-15 creeping in and commandeering the dedicated nozzles & underground tanks.😡

·
Registered
115 Posts
For those worried about single hose pumps and residual ethanol or 'watering down' their fuel blend, a gas pump commonly uses 10' of 3/4" line. The valve is in the above ground pump unit, so there is very little extra length in the system. The volume of that ends up at about 0.2 gal, or 0.75L. Even on a half tank top up, that's pretty minimal at 5-10% of the total volume. Not enough to cause you concern in either case. You can barely calculate the final variance in octane or residual volume of ethanol at that volume.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I would be more worried about those gas stations where as someone said, "you can hardly get gas and buy a pack of peanuts."

Sometimes on a trip, it's unavoidable. After a trip to Wyoming and the Dakotas where I stopped at one of those "stations," my fuel pump got the whine about a week later. It might not have been the whole cause, but it seemed like it put the filter over the edge.

I would often buy gas at older stations scattered around CO because much of the state is still fairly rural. Not sure how much of a factor this is on your fuel system. I do think that normally, small town stations here turn over their fuel enough because they're the only place around and plenty of tourists come through.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Above point is a good one, over the years I've gotten a few tanks of some "bad"gas. Every time from a "sketchy" looking station which I now avoid like the plague. While traveling, I fill up even at 1/2 tank at what looks like a reputable gas station if I think there might be few gas options ahead.

Another issue with bad gas is us breathing in the exhaust from behind. Gotta be 35 years ago, I was riding one of my Yami XS models on the Cross Bronx Expressway behind a semi that was pyooking black smoke and I I breathed some in, my throat actually felt like it was constricting and my eyes had a bad reaction to the point where it was actually hard to see. Got away from that a-hole quick. I always thought maybe the operator was getting rid of some toxic volatile by burning it in his POS truck.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[QUOTE="gristle, post: 5504122, member: 21257]

"Gotta be 35 years ago, I was riding one of my Yami XS models on the Cross Bronx Expressway behind a semi that was pyooking black smoke and I I breathed some in, my throat actually felt like it was constricting and my eyes had a bad reaction to the point where it was actually hard to see. Got away from that a-hole quick. I always thought maybe the operator was getting rid of some toxic volatile by burning it in his POS truck.
[/QUOTE]

That's a scene in a dystopian movie.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I’ve tried non-ethanol 93 octane on a few occasions and didn’t notice any perceivable performance or economy benefit.

Now, I simply buy 87 octane from a “top tier” rated source. (Chevron, Costco, Texaco, Valero). Last year, my bike was starving and dying while I was in a town in Southern New Mexico. I was a little over half way through a 7,300 mile, mostly back roads trip, so this was very disconcerting. I stayed in town for an extra day. I dumped a whole bottle of Techron in the tank (enough to treat 12 gallons) and drove back and forth 6 or 7 miles either side of the hotel, some highway, some side road And revved the bike up to redline as I started and stopped, and held close to redline often. That got me going again. I ran a couple more bottles of Techron through it on the rest of my trip.

I have since added a Guglatech filter from best rest products.com

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Many many times in my life premium fuels have proved their worth to me and that is what I use.

I recently purchased two 125 Honda's one was from a work mate, it had always had premium fuel in it, I have never seen a used carburetor so clean inside, the other was not running when I got it, it had been run on E10 and the fuel system was full of a red dust, it turned out to be rust from the fuel tank, the entire tank had a very fine surface rust inside, from top to bottom.

After seeing that rust I could consider using E10 if the vehicle that had a plastic tank but not with a tin tank.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Since all we have is E10 where I live that’s what I run in the 650. When I’m on the road I will get name brand when I can. There are a couple stations 100 miles north of me that offer 88 and 91 E0 gas but they aren’t name brand. My bikes may sit a few weeks but there is never really an off season in Las Vegas. E10 87 works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts