StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone has already answered these, please point me in the right direction, as my searching didn't find any answers.

I am looking at replacing my tyre valve stems when I next do the tyres, which I usually change myself. My questions relate to 90 degree tyre valves:

Is this reasonably easy? Do I pull out the old ones with pliers and install the new ones, or do I need special tools?

What size doI buy? There looks like 2 main sizes out there, 8.3 mm and 11.3 mm?

Are there any recommended buys or don't buys?

Thanks in advance

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,341 Posts
If you are wanting 90 degree stems to make checking pressure easier, you might do some research on them. Some designs are very easy to damage in off road riding. Most bikes take the smaller size valves. You can use a knife to remove the old ones. Most of the aftermarket 90 degree valves are held in place on the rim by a large nut that threads over the stem to hold the valve and keep the seal. Which means you shouldn't need a special tool.

Reactions: middo

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's easy to cut the old stems out with a razor blade. Bend and slice. 11.3mm is the correct size. 90s are more likely to leak and are fragile. Ride on tyre sealant nor dyna beads will go through the 90s.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I've added Ride On with a 90 degree valve. The only problem was both valves leaked. I had to replace the O-rings with thicker ones.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
There are no access issues on a V-Strom with regular old rubber 412 valve stems.

The aluminum 90 degree stems are a fragile, leak-prone solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist. Rubber valve stems are dead-simple, tough, cheap, and very damage-resistant. If you just gotta have bling, install the ones with chrome covers, or put some skull valve caps on, or something.

Even on a sportybike with 17" rims and huge rotors, you're far better off buying a right-angle gauge that can reach the valve stem rather than replacing a rubber valve stem with an aluminum one.

I replace rubber valve stems with every tire change. Just get a box of 412 valve stems at Napa -- they're very inexpensive -- and grab a valve stem tool -- use the one that has a cable. To remove the old one, bend it to one side with a finger and carefully cut it with a utility knife. To install the new one, push the puller through the hole, thread the valve stem into the puller, add a bit of tire mounting lube, brace yerself, and pull slowly.

412 valve stems are correct, but they can be a little hard to find (they're primarily used on lawn tractors and such). 413 stems are a lot easier to find -- they have them at Walmart, even -- and they work fine. 413 and 412 valve stems fit the same diameter hole, but the stems are 1/2" longer (1-1/4" for 413 vs. 3/4" for 412).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just put one on the rear on monday now I'm second guessing my shelf I did not use the magic Google button to see any negatives reviews! Damn!

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I have been using the same ones as you Fred G for about three years with no problems. But I don't go off road

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
Even on a sportybike with 17" rims and huge rotors, you're far better off buying a right-angle gauge that can reach the valve stem rather than replacing a rubber valve stem with an aluminum one.
that was my solution

1 - 11 of 11 Posts