StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what the thermometer at my back door read when I set out for a ride this morning. OUCH! Heated gear worth EVERY penny but the weak link in my gear is at my neck. Silk gaiter isn't enough. Maybe I'll have to get me a long woolen scarf ala Baron von Richthofen.

Also found out that the Wee isn't good for ice skating. Dumped her twice: once on the ice in my driveway and again on ice in my buddy's driveway.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I feel your pain, man! Single digits here as well. I just got some BB Storms and Rox risers out there in the garage and I can't even think about installing them in this weather without my fingertips getting prickly...:yes nod:

I guess I'll just have to decorate the tree and try to join the non addicted-to-riding world and get in to the spirit of things……(where's the Santa icon?..)

I talked to my brother on the phone this morning and he was bitchin' about winter and all I could manage was "hey, its only 4 months until April". Friggin' depressing! :furious:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
That's what the thermometer at my back door read when I set out for a ride this morning. OUCH! Heated gear worth EVERY penny but the weak link in my gear is at my neck. Silk gaiter isn't enough. Maybe I'll have to get me a long woolen scarf ala Baron von Richthofen.

Also found out that the Wee isn't good for ice skating. Dumped her twice: once on the ice in my driveway and again on ice in my buddy's driveway.
Damn about the drops! It was only 3 degrees warmer here. I moved the bike from the driveway to the back yard -- terrified of dropping it in the frozen solid, snow covered back yard, but I made it okay.

As to neck gaiters, I've got a couple that are windproof and worth their weight in kilocalories. I like the ones shaped like this one, they fit the helmet better. I have one made by TurtleFur that's my fave, but haven't been able to find another. The pict is from REI. Some of them are just too thick and bulky.

Or you can go the balaclava route, but I keep a neck gaiter in the tank bag all year, they work great in the pouring rain too.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The neck gaiter problem I'm having is that it all gets in the way of the damn helmet strap when I'm trying to thread it through the D-rings and snap it into the whatever-its-called sockety thing. Pulling it up AFTER I secure the helmet strap doesn't work and I'm afraid that a balaclava thing would also 'get in the way' of the helmet-strap-securing procedure. Oh well, I guess I'll have ALL f***ing winter to figure it out while the bike is up on its center stand.

I'm starting to recognize more and more advantages to modular helmets. But I'm reluctant to lay out the cash for a Nolan, this soon in the game, given how much my Arai set me back three seasons ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a Nolan soon too (been asking everyone for Revzilla gift cards for xmas) But the cold weather I've been having lately has me wondering if the modular style helmet might be too windy in the cold. Anyone heard anything about that?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a Nolan soon too (been asking everyone for Revzilla gift cards for xmas) But the cold weather I've been having lately has me wondering if the modular style helmet might be too windy in the cold. Anyone heard anything about that?
I had (still have) a Caberg trip, I loved it but never really used it for it's purpose so just went back to fullface Caberg Ego, the Trip wasn't really noisy but I wanted a change and thought I'd give the Ego a try. Modular helmets are great for toll booths, custom borders, gas stations and a drink of course, and if you want more air when it gets hot, again, I like my chin protected so kind of never rode it open.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I find a polar fleece turtleneck pretty much fills the gap between my jacket collar and the helmet. Grow that beard, Austin! Hair too!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The neck gaiter problem I'm having is that it all gets in the way of the damn helmet strap when I'm trying to thread it through the D-rings and snap it into the whatever-its-called sockety thing.
A neck gaiter has to be thin enough to stay out of the way while still blocking the wind. That's why I like the odd shaped one, it doesn't bunch up and get in the way of buckling the helmet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't have time to ride, too busy blowing 12" of snow out of my yard.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The neck gaiter problem I'm having is that it all gets in the way of the damn helmet strap when I'm trying to thread it through the D-rings and snap it into the whatever-its-called sockety thing. Pulling it up AFTER I secure the helmet strap doesn't work and I'm afraid that a balaclava thing would also 'get in the way' of the helmet-strap-securing procedure. Oh well, I guess I'll have ALL f***ing winter to figure it out while the bike is up on its center stand.

I'm starting to recognize more and more advantages to modular helmets. But I'm reluctant to lay out the cash for a Nolan, this soon in the game, given how much my Arai set me back three seasons ago.
I usually secure the strap over my neck gaitor. It keeps the fleece up against my chin and hardly lets any cold air in the helmet.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hey Aus,
The ice is telling you it's time to pack it in. For me, my rule is that once the first dose of salt goes down on the roadways, I'm off until we get a couple of clensing rains in the spring. Don't want salt dust finding it's way into all the little nooks and crannies on a motorcycle.
On the cold weather gear thing, I've ridden at 35 degrees without electric gear and seem to be good for about an hour before I have to stop to warm up. I use a thin balaclava that tucks into my outergear and that seems to work pretty well. Haven't noticed any problem securing the helmet via the d rings. Ride safe. :)
gary
Is it April yet?, March even?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I use one from Klim. Very thin but it works very well. When it is really cold like it is for you I have a neoprene face mask that does not go too far down but overlaps the Klim gaiter.

One other thing I got this year for my Arai XD4 is a windjammer 2. That works great and keeps away brain freeze.

You've got some nerved riding a storm in that. With very good tires perhaps (studded snows :) it might work. For me its a little tw200 for the winter.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Our roads are so covered with salt and sand now I don't even want to take my Jeep out.......:headbang:.......TD

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Our roads are so covered with salt and sand now I don't even want to take my Jeep out.......:headbang:.......TD
Yeah, and all local snow budgets are exhausted already. :yesnod:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I fiddled around with my helmet and my Schampa gaiter (Schampa Single Layer Neckgaiter - #NG002), this afternoon, and found that with patience AND pulling the damn thing up over my lower jaw, I could get the helmet strap through the D-rings AND snapped into place. Of course, I didn't go out on the bike to put it to the test because (1) the bike is now in storage and (2 and more importantly) we've got a foot of snow on the ground BUT I think I've got it figured out. Is it me and my thick neck or are Arai helmet straps a bit on the short side? No difference for I'll be whiling away my non-riding time, for the next few months, sweating some pounds off with intensive cardiovascular 'fun'.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts