StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the recent ADVrider rally in Darby, MT, I stopped to see some longtime friends in Butte, MT. The next morning, leaving the city with the Wee's fuel tank full and the bike loaded, I entered the Interstate heading north and saw the MT State Scales. They were "open", there were no trucks in line, so I pulled on. When I asked the man inside if I could get weighed, he pointed to the right. There on the read-out was the number -- 880#.

That took me a bit by surprise. I really hadn't thought about a total bike weight, loaded with me and my gear, but I certainly wasn't thinking about a number that big. When I needed gas I got a cup of coffee and sat down with a piece of paper and started estimating. Me with riding gear -- 210#, left and right rear case -- 20# each, rear top case -- 35#, etc, etc. When I added it all together, I had 390#, on top of the basic bike. That brought the weight of the bike to 490#, which is about what it should be.

I guess I feel better about the numbers now. They make sense although the total is still larger than desired. It just says that before I undertake another ride of that magnitude, I need to seriously look at what I'm carrying, and why.

For the record, 5264 total miles. The Wee performed very well the whole time. The fuel consumption average was 44.50 MPG for the complete trip. Lots of big miles out there, hours on end of high speed operation and the wind always seemed to be in my face for some reason. I was really thankful for the Rostra CC. The trip would have been an eternity without it.

It was a fun ride. I can hardly wait until the next time. Ride safe guys and gals.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
...................... and the wind always seemed to be in my face for some reason.
Until they install a reverse gear, this is likely to be the case.

The weight didn't surpeise me.
I've carried my loaded cases up the stairs often enough.

Cheers,

Glad somebody is making good use of the summer, even if it isn't me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
After the recent ADVrider rally in Darby, MT, I stopped to see some longtime friends in Butte, MT. The next morning, leaving the city with the Wee's fuel tank full and the bike loaded, I entered the Interstate heading north and saw the MT State Scales. They were "open", there were no trucks in line, so I pulled on. When I asked the man inside if I could get weighed, he pointed to the right. There on the read-out was the number -- 880#.

That took me a bit by surprise. I really hadn't thought about a total bike weight, loaded with me and my gear, but I certainly wasn't thinking about a number that big. When I needed gas I got a cup of coffee and sat down with a piece of paper and started estimating. Me with riding gear -- 210#, left and right rear case -- 20# each, rear top case -- 35#, etc, etc. When I added it all together, I had 390#, on top of the basic bike. That brought the weight of the bike to 490#, which is about what it should be.

I guess I feel better about the numbers now. They make sense although the total is still larger than desired. It just says that before I undertake another ride of that magnitude, I need to seriously look at what I'm carrying, and why.

For the record, 5264 total miles. The Wee performed very well the whole time. The fuel consumption average was 44.50 MPG for the complete trip. Lots of big miles out there, hours on end of high speed operation and the wind always seemed to be in my face for some reason. I was really thankful for the Rostra CC. The trip would have been an eternity without it.

It was a fun ride. I can hardly wait until the next time. Ride safe guys and gals.
The total weight did surprise me a little - but I guess it all depends on how big the rider is and what kind of crap he has on the bike. If you take two average size riders (180#) and the weigh of a wee, it would be easy to get up to 780#... you did have a ton of goodies on it to beat that number by a hundred pounds!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Timely post Chuck,

I recently got back from Asheville for a weeks vacation and I'm sure I was very near that weight between all the bolt ons and loaded top case and Jesse side cases. Just curious as to how your bike handled on the way and what speeds and any tail wagging the dog feeling. We we're running 75(gps indicated) down and back and would have gone faster if it were not for the annoying sway which seemed to come from the back forward, especially trying to pass trucks. Very annoying and several times I had to brake to slow down to stop the wag. I've got my boxes mounted close to the front and tried to keep the weight in the boxes and not in the top box. Not quite sure what to think as the engine just loves to run at that speed or higher.

Glad you had a good time at the rally. Darby is a beautiful area, I used to vacation(in a previous life) at the Triple Creek Ranch just south of there. Great hiking around there.

Kevin

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
There on the read-out was the number -- 880#. That took me a bit by surprise.
Try to push one, fully loaded, three and a half miles out of the woods, then another 2 miles, up a hill to find help.

I hydro-locked the motor back in 2009 when I dumped the bike in a big mud puddle in New Brunswick, Canada.

I had also weighed my bike just before that trip. As I was pushing, I was calculating that I was shoving around 700lbs of bike and gear, with another 175lbs grunting beside it.

I still have to finish that video someday and post it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Chuck, I put 8900 miles on mine since May. Most of that heavily loaded ( me+100lbs of junk) and have averaged 51mpg. I'm sure the difference is the Speeds run. I only had a couple days on the Interstate. Just got back from Stecoah, NC attending the HU meeting.

R

·
0 Posts
As I was pushing, I was calculating that I was shoving around 700lbs of bike and gear, with another 175lbs grunting beside it.

That type of exercise is probably not recommended for us old guys with a dicky ticker.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As I was pushing, I was calculating that I was shoving around 700lbs of bike and gear, with another 175lbs grunting beside it.

If you would like to re-enact it someday, I will gladly video you :mrgreen:.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just curious as to how your bike handled on the way and what speeds and any tail wagging the dog feeling. We would have gone faster if it were not for the annoying sway which seemed to come from the back forward, especially trying to pass trucks. Very annoying and several times I had to brake to slow down to stop the wag. Kevin
Kevin,

I didn't feel any of the "tail wagging the dog" stuff and I had plenty of opportunities for it to occur. I have large aluminum rear cases, a Givi rear top case and my tent and sleeping equipment on the passenger's seat. I also use Aerostitch Tank Panniers for the miscellaneous things that are difficult to pack elsewhere and a tank bag as a map case and receptical for small items.

However, I have made the three changes that are recommended for the Wee to give it high speed, cross wind stability. Mainly, add a fork brace, raise the forks 1/2" or so in the triple trees and add a Scotts Steering Stabilizer. That doesn't mean the bike doesn't move around if I'm in a cross wind or when I pass a truck and hit the "bow wave". What I'm saying is that the bike is controllable and it doesn't bother me to pull up alongside a truck and pass it.

I forgot about the speeds -- in MT the limits are 70 on two-lanes and 75 on the Interstates. ND is similar. MN is a bit slower on the two-lanes and WI is 65/55 like IL. However, much of my running was at 70+.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
This post illustrates why a fanactical concern over a bike's net weight always seemed odd to me. I'm not talking about Goldwing weight here, but the differences that are measured in double digits...40, 50, 60 lbs.

Maybe if I rode dirt a lot it would make more sense to me, but then again, I might look for something other than a VStrom for that.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
If you would like to re-enact it someday, I will gladly video you :mrgreen:.
Fortunately, I don't have to re-enact the "push" for you to video tape me! I switched my digital still camera over to "movie mode" and I video taped a large part of the experience as it was unfolding; in "real-time".

I have never done much with the footage of the Moncton Mud Puddle. I have talked for quite sometime about putting a video together that would tell the story, but I have never gotten around to it.

Inspired by your words, I spent a little time this evening doing just that. I took some of the clips that I shot and put together a "short story" of some of what I went through that day. Keep in mind, there is more to the story than what you will see here!

Several weeks after this happened, I rode back to the spot to measure the exact distance I had to push my bike, and also to thank one of the individuals that helped me out. The distance I pushed the bike out of the woods was 3.5 miles. I slept on the side of the road that night, then I pushed another two miles along the main road before coming to rest in the dooryard of a young fellow who helped me take the bike apart to get it running again, so that I could ride home. Tony Buck was an amazing "angel" that helped me that day!

Here is a short video segment that I put together back in 2009 that shows getting the bike running.

B.L.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Man, I can't believe you really took the time and effort to film so may segments of your journey out of there, pushing your bike. You are REALLY GOOD at putting these videos together! :hurray:
You plan all your shots from interesting and unusual angles and document all the little stuff too that make the video interesting.

I hope I NEVER have to push my bike out of a hilly, backcountry location! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I've never weighed my loaded bike but this spring weighed all my luggage for a flight to Florida with a friend, in a Cessna 150. We had to know all the weights to figure out our Centre of Gravity for the plane.

I took with me, exactly what I would take on a bike trip...a small selection of clothes, a toiletry bag, camping equipment of tent, pad and sleeping bag and some extras like camera, IPad, book etc.
My total weight of luggage was under 25lbs.

On the bike I have, Caribou side and top cases (50lbs), a tank bag (10lbs ?) myself (120lbs) and riding gear of armoured coat, pants and helmet (maybe another 15lbs?)

That's about 220 lbs over the basic weight of the bike.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I've never weighed my loaded bike but this spring weighed all my luggage for a flight to Florida with a friend, in a Cessna 150. We had to know all the weights to figure out our Centre of Gravity for the plane.

I took with me, exactly what I would take on a bike trip...a small selection of clothes, a toiletry bag, camping equipment of tent, pad and sleeping bag and some extras like camera, IPad, book etc.
My total weight of luggage was under 25lbs.

On the bike I have, Caribou side and top cases (50lbs), a tank bag (10lbs ?) myself (120lbs) and riding gear of armoured coat, pants and helmet (maybe another 15lbs?)

That's about 220 lbs over the basic weight of the bike.
Shedding the side cases and the hardware to mount them, has helped quite a bit in reducing the overall weight, and has dramatically increased the riding performance for me.

I have calculated that I carry about 50lbs of gear with me on my trips. That includes a fairly hefty tool kit, (about 18lbs of spare parts, tools, air compressor, and on, and on.....). So, your numbers of 25lbs is not far off of what I carry for the normal "personal" stuff, (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, a few clothes, etc.)

Someday, we will have to do another ride together. You can try my bike and see what you think.

B.L.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the luggage. Hard bags that don't leak are great, but they do turn the bike into a truck.

A drybag on the rear seat is not an option for me, however. I can't get a leg over.

If I'm not carrying camping gear, the top box and tank bag are enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts