StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before a mod jumps down my throat, I have read EVERY thread in the pinned YATT section. There's so much info and opinions in there that it gets very confusing and contradictory quickly.

So I figured the simplest way to do this would be to state that I'm looking for a good 80/20 tire for my Glee and ask you guys what is available.

Please don't list stuff like TKC's or Metzler Me880's as they are (respectively) too dirt orientated and too street biased.

Right now I have a list of:

Maxxis Detour (leaning towards this but heard they are discontinued - though Maxxis still list them on their website. Poor longevity)
Shinko 705 (?)
Pirelli Scorpion (had these on a F800GS and thought they were too road biased)
Metzeler Tourance (buddy had them on his GS and didn't like them)
Michelin Anakee (not seen one good review of these yet)

You get the idea of what I'm looking for. Any others I may have missed/should consider?

My riding style is aggressive and I'm a heavy dude. I'm not as worried about longevity as I am about grip.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've read some good reviews of the anakee 3, only problem is a little noise over 45mph. Given my riding style 95% slab, I prefer them over the previous anakee 2.

Another 80/20 tire to consider bw501/502. I've had them for the last 1k and no complaints.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm taking the BW's off. Great tire on street but had MAJOR cupping issues on the front. They lasted 10,000 miles but sucked off road .

Hence the desire to move to slightly more off road biased boots.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've ridding the Shinko 705s, they are a great tire for what you are describing. Also consider the Full Bore M-40s. They look just like the Shinkos, but have a very slightly more aggressive tread. I've ridden those as well and average about 6k miles on the rear. I do more like 50/50 riding and the Full Bore tires have never let me down under any conditions. They are very good on the street and off.

I've ridden just about every tire you can put on a V-Strom and my top 2 are the Full Bore and the Karoo 3s. The Karoo's are a bit more aggressive. Great off road and on, but a bit noisy on road at times.

I see people recommending the Anakee 3s. Perhaps a decent road tire, but I've taken them off road and they do not handle anything other then hard pack very well.

One last observation from 30+ years of dual sport riding - a decent dirt tire will be ok on road, but a decent road tire will be terrible off road. Also, in general, the more aggressive the tread, the quicker they will wear.

Chapparal Motorsports is the only place I know of that sells the the M-40s online.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm going to look into a set of metzler Karoo 3 when my anakee 3 front/anakee 2 rear combo wears out next spring

They may be a bit to dirt oriented, but as was posted above, a dirt tire rides better on the street than a street tire in the dirt

Edit: I just checked, they are a 70/30, so maybe to aggressive

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
"One last observation from 30+ years of dual sport riding - a decent dirt tire will be ok on road, but a decent road tire will be terrible off road. Also, in general, the more aggressive the tread, the quicker they will wear."

I concur. Truth be told, I spend 95% of my time on asphalt BUT I don't want a tire that is 95/5 when I am on dirt. I thought an 80/20 would be a good compromise.

I scrape pegs/skid-plate/sidestand a lot when cornering on asphalt so I don't want to go too far towards dirt. I think the Karoo 3 may be a bit too gnarly for street.
I was leaning towards the Shinko 705 but looking at them, they have a severe step to their edge and are not rounded - which is probably going to end in tears if I lean the bike over as much as I do on street. The Karoo, however does not seem to have that step and is more rounded...

i'm soooooo confused.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked out those Full Bores...... hmmmm 80/20

Poeko - how many miles are you getting out of them?

It's a bit of a no-brainer when you compare the price of the karoos to the full bores.....

Thanks for the input guys! :thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Marcoma,

Sorry for the delay... I'm getting about 6k out of my Full Bore rear. I replaced the front at about 10k but not do to wear. I just wanted to try a the Karoo 3s. I'm running Karoo 3s front and back now.

I hope you're as please by the Full Bore tires as I was.

When that set needs replacing consider giving the Karoos a try.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My 705 front has 12,500 miles on it , and is showing some cupping now , but I'm sure it will go 15K. My rear 705 went 8K , and I'm 4K into my next one. If these things didn't talk (their only real drawback , at least to me) , they would be darn near perfect. I can hit a FS road and rail around Deals Gap (as hard as I can push it) on one tire. That works for me. I will take a look at the Full Bore M40 this spring/summer though , as they look like they are a little wider in the sipe than the 705's.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I found the perfect tire for me in the Anakee IIs - conservative rider, mostly back roads with very occasional explorations of unpaved roads with the possibility of deep sand and/or slick, wet clay. Currently running Anakee IIIs. Have always run Michelins, but will be looking elsewhere for my next set. Tread not quite aggressive enough for comfort in the above unpaved situations, front feels loose in the nasty bits.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've yet to get them off road but so far on the road they haven't been too bad. I've got about 500 miles on them so far - they are very noisy under breaking and at 20 - 35 mph, but no bother to me.
I'll post up again when I eventually get them dirty....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Further observation and opinions on the Full Bores:

Pros:

Great value for money overall.
Pretty grippy on the street even when pushed hard. I noticed I've still got chicken strips on the rears but the pegs and bashplate are decking quite hard so I guess there will always be chicken strips (until I lose weight and don't load the suspension as much)
I've got nearly 5K on them and they look as though they have another 10K left in them.

Cons:
Fuel consumption is noticeably up over the stock BW's.
Noisy but thats what you get with an aggressive tread pattern.
At low speeds, the bars wobble noticeably.
My biggest gripe? The Full Bore's track grooves in the road like no other tire I've ever ridden on. Disturbingly so. I've had some instances of riding over paint lines on the road where I thought I was going to lose control. I mean it is bad.

Ironically, I still haven't been anywhere near dirt with them so for this reason, I will be going back to BW's at the next change.

Hope that helps anyone thinking of buying Full Bores. Would I buy them again? If they are good offroad and I was offroading more then yes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got the full bores offroad!

In a nutshell, not bad on the hard dirt (after I dropped the pressure to 17 psi) but truly terrifying in sand. On the plus side, at least I was able to go off-road and do some pretty gnarly hillclimbs. Checkitout:

http://youtu.be/693R9tFE6Wo

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I have the fullbores, took some fiddling to get my street air pressures right so the tires handle nice. I run 36f/38r, YMMV. I really like the tires on dirt/gravel, but like you said, a big porker like the vstrom will be a handful in sand, no matter what tire you run. Sand suxx.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing your tire pressures. I'll have to try that. I can't use the full surface area of the tire because the pegs and bashplate deck out first so I have chicken strips on the rear LOL

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Rule of thumb...pick the newest tire on the market of the type you are looking for. The major tire companies are always innovating in casing design and rubber compounds to get an advantage over their competition.

Michelin Anakee 3
Metzeler Tourance Next (and this might not be off-pavement enough for you)

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Thanks for sharing your tire pressures. I'll have to try that. I can't use the full surface area of the tire because the pegs and bashplate deck out first so I have chicken strips on the rear LOL
You'd have to be Marc Marquez to burn the chicken strips off the Fullbores. No shame in having strips on this tire. The tread wraps around the tire a lot more than the Vstrom's lean angles allow before hard parts grind. Those side knobs do come in handy in off-camber situations when riding in the dirt......

Until I got the tire pressures dialed in (I like 2 psi more in the rear tire), the bike when coming to a stop, the front end would wander .

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm running the Full Bore M40's as well. I ride the heck out of it , and still have "chicken strips" (a phrase I hate because Young/inexperienced riders will ride over their heads to get rid of them). I use more body motion to lean the bike less , so I guess I'll just live with them.:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts