StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In almost exactly three years of ownership I hit 80,000 km today!

(Pardon the picture quality, was a cell-phone camera).

Funny thing is that the more I ride it the more I want to ride it!

..Tom

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've only owned my Vee for just under 2 years, but you have me beat by 71,925km on mileage! I love it too and will ride it more now that I have more time.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For the folks still using miles 49,709.7.. :cool:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Lost in translation

Post up in another 290.3 miles and you'll get more cheers from south of the border. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
80,000km

Awesome. 80,000km .........
Approximately how much of the total is commuting vs just having fun?

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome. 80,000km .........
Approximately how much of the total is commuting vs just having fun?
I'd guess about 30,000 km is commuting.. but it's a blurry line as sometimes getting home is twice the distance of getting to work. And I didn't use it for commuting nearly as much in 2006 as in 2007 and 2008 (gear and topcase can make a big difference when half to wear a suit at work!) And strangely enough, commuting on the bike is fun as well most days. I get to work with a big smile on my face when I take the bike.

..Tom

·
Registered
386 Posts
Damn, I thought the pace I'm going on for this year (which I figure will be 20,000km in first year of ownership) was going to be large.... you got it beat for sure.

Tom - any major problems over the 80,000kms or just regular maint?

P.S. - I agree - even commuting the Strom puts a smile on your face. Makes it easier to get up and go to work every day.

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom - any major problems over the 80,000kms or just regular maint?
I had one "major" issue. A while back .. maybe at 60,000 km or so, I had a squeaky noise coming from the front. It got progressively worse with time. Turned out the Speedo Drive needed a shot of grease. (Is that an problem or maintenance? Either way the DL1000 won't have that particular issue.)

Other that that brakes (second set up front, third in the back), tires and chains.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Impressive Tom. And, if most of those miles were like what we did at the rally, those aren't easy miles! Or kilometers is more like it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulatlions Tom,

I just recently got a Vee and I am having a blast with it. The Vee will be replacing my 03 GoldWing with almost 87,000 miles on it and I was hoping that the Vee would be capable of accumulating some significant touring miles before being all used up. Sounds like that shouldn't be a worry:)

It has to last a while - I already have too much invested in farkles for it not to be around for a while!

·
Registered
372 Posts

(Pardon the picture quality, was a cell-phone camera).

Funny thing is that the more I ride it the more I want to ride it!

..Tom
How has your rear shock held up? I've got about 17000 miles on my 08 wee and the rear shock is getting a little soft:mad:

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How has your rear shock held up? I've got about 17000 miles on my 08 wee and the rear shock is getting a little soft:mad:
I don't notice any issues.. I'm 240 or so lbs and have the pre-load cranked up. I think the shocks start off soft and probably get softer but they seem to work all right. Apart from raising the forks/lowering the front of the bike, putting pre-load on hardest and a fork brace, I haven't done anything to the suspension.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know, sometimes I feel like I am just going to drive right by my job and keep riding all day!
This May I rode with friend (The "Road Toads") down to the V-Strom Reunion East at the Ironhorse. I did 5,400 km in about 8 days of riding. Came home late Tuesday Evening and had to work first thing Weds. It's a 58 km ride to work. Our last day was I think a 900km (550 mile) plus day.

Funny thing is that on the Weds morning I was thinking to myself I could just keep on riding south.

..Tom

·
Registered
236 Posts
Stayin' ahead of you Tom- 89000 km ('06 Wee) and purring like a well oiled kitten!
Gerhard
ROAD TOADS RULE!

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Stayin' ahead of you Tom- 89000 km ('06 Wee) and purring like a well oiled kitten!
Gerhard
ROAD TOADS RULE!
You better get some more riding in! I'll be past 81,000 before this day is out, though!

..Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts