Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished an 8 day trip on my 2015 wee-strom from Vancouver Island to 100 miles north of Ottawa, Ontario, via I-90 and I-80. I left April 30th, and though I wanted to ride through Jasper, Edmonton and Saskatoon, I figured it was going to be too cold up there. So I deked down to Seattle on Hwy 5, and 'hung a left' and headed for Wisconsin. Along the way I did some canyon carving in Washington, went over the Helena pass in Montana, saw Devil's Tower in Wyoming, and the Badlands in South Dakota. I have to say, the wee impressed my on the interstates, humming along at 80mph all day long, with some passing power left to spare, even though I was heavily loaded with gear. It's a really good touring bike, with a couple of mods. Mind you, I couldn't have done it without my electric vest, heated grips, and Air Hawk seat cushion. Did 5 days around the 500 mile mark with these, one of them in Montana in 8 degrees Celsius. (about 46 farenheit I think) If there's any interest, I'll write it up as a proper ride report and post photos and better descriptions.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just finished an 8 day trip on my 2015 wee-strom from Vancouver Island to 100 miles north of Ottawa, Ontario, via I-90 and I-80. I left April 30th, and though I wanted to ride through Jasper, Edmonton and Saskatoon, I figured it was going to be too cold up there. So I deked down to Seattle on Hwy 5, and 'hung a left' and headed for Wisconsin. Along the way I did some canyon carving in Washington, went over the Helena pass in Montana, saw Devil's Tower in Wyoming, and the Badlands in South Dakota. I have to say, the wee impressed my on the interstates, humming along at 80mph all day long, with some passing power left to spare, even though I was heavily loaded with gear. It's a really good touring bike, with a couple of mods. Mind you, I couldn't have done it without my electric vest, heated grips, and Air Hawk seat cushion. Did 5 days around the 500 mile mark with these, one of them in Montana in 8 degrees Celsius. (about 46 farenheit I think) If there's any interest, I'll write it up as a proper ride report and post photos and better descriptions.

Sounds like a great adventure. I look forward to reading more If you decide to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I for one would love to see a full ride report! Also, which Airhawk do you have? I am having trouble figuring out which to buy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I will prepare a ride report in the next week or so. Still catching up with spring changeover stuff around the house after the time away. I"ll have to post a photo of the Air Hawk but I think it's the medium or large cruiser one. It works great. Makes all the difference until I can afford a seat upgrade. I might try the Seat Concepts thing.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes as told many times my Wee was smallest new bike ever for me after over 50 years of no breaks riding and main transportation. Plan was to sell it after the 10,300 mile DeadHorse trip but five years later still have it and my solo tour bike. Liked it so much when a low mile real cheap one owner came up got it so have two plus three big bikes that set most the time now.
Devils Tower is were I got the worse sting ever in 1990. All most knocked me off my long softtail. A hornet:frown2: and made for a bad day in the tent.Even before that I carried a Sting stick and they help. Got most all my friends with them now after they use one of mine after a sting on the road.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I couldn't have done it without my electric vest, heated grips, and Air Hawk seat cushion. Did 5 days around the 500 mile mark with these, one of them in Montana in 8 degrees Celsius. (about 46 farenheit I think) If there's any interest, I'll write it up as a proper ride report and post photos and better descriptions.
Preparation is the ticket. If you do a report, and it's possible could you post a gpx file?

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,230 Posts
I did Boston to Yellowstone a few years back on my ST1300 along I-90 and it nearly bored me to tears. Poured on me every single day for 10 days and hail in Yellowstone. Badlands was 97°. Cruised through SD and WY at about 100mph. Got stranded at Mt. Rushmore for a 3 hour thunderstorm. But camping at the KOA at Devil's Tower on the 4th of July was truly the highlight. Spectacular fireworks and could see the headlamps from climbers on the summit. I will be staying there again no questions asked. Getting ready for my first big trip on the Strom for the Cache Rally... that will be around 2000 miles in 5 days. Have fun and be safe!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts