StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a pair of Shinko 705's on my '12 Glee. I've searched ,& researched prior to my purchase but I'm seeing recommended pressures all over the scale. I seem to recall 40F, 42R (to minimize cupping). Another suggest 36F, 40R. I'm riding solo, 215 lbs. No luggage except my lunchbox.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Same as RC 36 + 40.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Radial or bias ply? Radial max pressure is 42 whereas bias ply is 33psi.

Edit: After mounting a 705 bias ply I thought 33psi seemed kinda low for a front tire and did a lot of research last night between here and ADV. Seems Shinko recommends/allows higher max pressures for this tire on the VStrom with cold tire pressure measured at 65*F. I may play around a bit with pressures on my bike, especially knowing that tire manufacturers have a built in tolerance before explosions result. :wink2:

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Interesting the concern about tire pressure at a specific temperature. I'm kinda at sea level in balmy So Cal. But I may ride up to over 8K feet and have the temps drop to near freezing in less than an hour. Should I be concerned?
Do people worry about the optimum pressure in the car tires too?
I know of one BMW dealer that suggested he inflates on his long distance runs pressures up to 50 psi, rear, to get the most life out of the tire.
Mostly I'll put what ever pressure is usually suggested in those hated stickers, that folks remove, on the swing arm. I wonder if they dislike the stickers on the inside of the car door jam too?
Rude inquiring minds wonder.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Interesting the concern about tire pressure at a specific temperature. I'm kinda at sea level in balmy So Cal. But I may ride up to over 8K feet and have the temps drop to near freezing in less than an hour. Should I be concerned?
Do people worry about the optimum pressure in the car tires too?
I know of one BMW dealer that suggested he inflates on his long distance runs pressures up to 50 psi, rear, to get the most life out of the tire.
Mostly I'll put what ever pressure is usually suggested in those hated stickers, that folks remove, on the swing arm. I wonder if they dislike the stickers on the inside of the car door jam too?
Rude inquiring minds wonder.
Here is a bit of info on elevation vs pressure. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=167
They have a good page on Air Pressure/Temp also.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
When I used these, I ran 33-34psi in the front to reduce the vstrom's tendency to wander at very low speeds right before one comes to a stop....seemed to do the trick. I started out at 36psi too...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm running 38 psi for both front and rear. I believe 2 lbs psi below max.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I run 705's on my 07 Wee, and I'm getting great wear out of the pressures recommended on the swingarm sticker. 18,000km so far, and I'd estimate about 80% worn. I'm just slightly lighter then the OP, about 200lbs, and occasionally have my Darling Bride on with me, when she doesn't feel like pulling out her own bike.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,616 Posts
The last time I tried a 705 front, it was cupping badly enough at 11k miles that I got rid of it.

That was likely because I wasn't using enough pressure. Not knowing any better, I used the swingarm sticker values, which were too low. By the time I knew correct pressures, it was too late.

I'm now over 15k with a Heidenau K60 Scout front. No cupping. I've been running it 1 PSI below max (per sidewall marking and discussion with Heidenau), which seems to work.

Finally getting down near the wear bars. Thinking about trying another 705 front, but running at proper pressure (supposedly 36 PSI). Nothing wrong with the Heidenau tire, but the 705 is much more affordable. I'm not a big enough dirt/sand/mud rider for the tread difference to matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts