StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Shinko's? I have run both tires. The 705's on a Moto Guzzi Quota and the 712's on a Moto Guzzi V50, 850T and T3 and also the rear of my DR650. The 712's do not last long but are inexpensive. The 705's I cannot comment on longevity as I sold the bike shortly after installation.

Both tires are round and black and roll down the road w/o any drama. I am however not a tire snob.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think the 712 is the Barracuda by Shinko, the tread pattern looks a lot like it. The Barracuda would pretty much melt off, at least that is what it seemed like. I think it lasted an oil change and I was out shopping for a new tire.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
705's last long time in my use. Rear 705 6K miles, Front 12K or better

712s are similar. I've used both.

As to why you would put a 705 on front with a 712 rear? Don't know what advantage that would be. You might get a bit better off-road behavior out of the front but that 712 rear would be spinning!

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Yah, 712 or 705 both ends. The 705 has that lumpy feel at a crawl on the pavement due to the tread pattern.
It goes away at speed though.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
712s are similar. I've used both.

As to why you would put a 705 on front with a 712 rear? Don't know what advantage that would be. You might get a bit better off-road behavior out of the front but that 712 rear would be spinning!
Price/sizing availability. Need something cheap don't wanna put good tires for commuting before the trip.

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If going 100% paved why not 100% street tires. I have Bridgestone T30's on my 2013 DL650 and really like them. Also not bank breakers at about $225 per set delivered.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If going 100% paved why not 100% street tires. I have Bridgestone T30's on my 2013 DL650 and really like them. Also not bank breakers at about $225 per set delivered.
I have a set of Mitas E07 just don't wanna put them on and chew them up before the trip. Set of 705/712 is $137 delivered, and 712 front doesn't come in right size.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
In my experience the 712 wears really fast but they are inexpensive. I have used them many times on bikes I knew were only going to get a 1,000 miles a year or so put on them. If you put any mileage on a bike you'll end up going through two o three 712's per something a little better. If you change your own tires it's still can be somewhat cost effective but if you pay a dealership to swap tires the 712 are going to end up costing you more.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I've run 705's before but never the 705/712 combination. I love the 705's but they do have a couple weird quirks that might be off putting if those quirks don't match the quirks of the other tire. They do feel bumpy at low speed, like notacop says. More importantly though, the 705's seem to really fall into a turn abruptly. At lower speeds, especially until you're used to it, the bike can feel more like it's falling over rather than turning. Unless the 712's share this characteristic, it might feel weird riding a bike where the front tire wants to fall in faster than the rear tire.

Of course, I don't know for a fact that this would happen, but you might have a tough time finding someone who has run this particular combo (not much call for a chunky dual sport tire in the front and a smooth street tire in the rear), so you may just have to wing it and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I am looking at 3-5k stopgap and yes I change and balance my own tires.

The 712s are fine for that kind of mileage. Last set I bought was about $120

They don't seem to burn up any faster than other tires I've used. Typically I get 5K or so out of rear and twice that up front no matter what tires I use.

Don't size up on the front though. They don't make the OEM size (110/80) get the 712 in 100/90 that's just a bit smaller diameter than the OEM. There isn't enough clearance to go to a 110/90.

My Shinko 712 thread

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.Don't size up on the front though. They don't make the OEM size (110/80) get the 712 in 100/90 that's just a bit smaller diameter than the OEM. There isn't enough clearance to go to a 110/90.

My Shinko 712 thread
Thanks!

I was planning to fit 705 front as it's only $2 more than 712. At 10.5k OEM rear is about finished, and front has not much more left. I intend to run them as long as I can, but I don't think they would last for another 4 month of commuting.

Saving Mitas E07s for trip to Alaska, really hope they last the trip.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here: what's the point of putting a 712 on the rear, exactly?

Why would that be better than just slapping on a 705 front and rear?

Most of the commuters who run the 712 on the DL use a 100/90-19 712 on the front, and they seem happy with this.

Both are perfectly fine tires if you're looking to save a few bucks.

Reactions: Spec
1 - 16 of 16 Posts