StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I have been a casual observer of this site for about the last 3 years. I have recieved some very helpful and also not so helpful information. My latest mod has finally pushed me to "pay it forward" join the forum and share some info. Now for the exhaust. I installed a mid pipe of a 03' sv 650, and a Delkivic 14" slip-on also of a sv. All components used off ebay for under 70$:thumbup: I have lusted over different exhausts for the wee and couldn't bring myself to spend $800+ dollars on a system. I know I am going to get a lot of flack for "piping" my strom on this forum. But I already catch alot of flack from my buddies for riding a wee in the first place, untill the road starts twisting or the odometer goes over 700 miles in a day "wimps". I just got tired of my we sounding like a singer sewing machine. This set up is just right, not too loud and not too soft. No clearance issuses at all, only had to fabricate a hanger for the can and the midpipe, both very easy. Hopefully someone can find this usefull. I will atempt to post a picture as well.

Attachments

· Registered
271 Posts
Now thats helpful information! Thanks.

When you say you used a sv650 midpipe, does that include two header pipes from a sv also or did you leave the DL header pipes in place and slip just a SV midpipe onto them? ( I didn't check, maybe the dl and sv header pipes are the same part #).

I'm thinking I'm gonna do what you did except I might add a small pipe section between the midpipe and the can that has a bit of a curve. I want the end of the can a bit lower, the can more horizontal. That'll allow me to make a side bag mount that tucks it in more and gets it lower too.
dave

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry had too run shortly after my post. My wee is an 09' as some have observingly noticed. So as you all know exhaust options consist of hacking your very expensive stock system to modify it, or buy a very expensive system. Neither of these are options in my book. The "midpipe" I speak of is basicly a stock sv muffler/pipe assembly that someone has allready cut the muffler off of in order to install a slip-on type set up. Look on E-bay these are everywhere and very inexpensive. The mounts on these pipes are different than the dl. This is where one of the "custom" brackets comes from. I used a small piece of metal strap and used one of the many threaded holes near the lower dogbone mount on the frame. The sv uses another mount just behind the swingarm pivot, I left this one unused at this time. It could even be cut off the pipe for a cleaner look. As someone else pointed out the sv and dl head pipes are the same part#'s, so there is no need to replace them. There may be issues with different center stands or side luggage, but I have neither so I can't say. As for the can any sv slip on will work. Even if you purchase a new system they are down right cheap to anything that mentions V-Strom. For people that want the exhaust to be higher, there are companys out there like M4 and others that make high mount and race systems for the sv that mostlike would work quite nice. I was very tempted to try this however my goal was to get away on the cheap incase it didn't work out. The best part of my experiment is it is totally reversiable, and required no "hacking" of any stock parts. If anyone has more ?'s just ask. I have a crazy schedule, it might take me awhile but I will respond.:thumbup:

· Registered
352 Posts
That's very cool. I'm interested in this mod and exactly what pipes you needed to complete it. I looked the stock exhaust on my 06 and the center stand does use the exhaust as a stop when it's fully retracted.

Very cool idea! Thanks

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
In my picture the pipe you see directly before the can is part of the slip on system, and should be included with any system used. The next part is the sv pipes, then finally the stock head pipes. As for the center stand I don't know as I don't use one. My best advice is find a cheap pipe on Ebay, craigslist, etc. and try, Just keep the box and if it doesn't fit with your stand resell it, you have nothing to lose for trying. As a side bennifit you will have the sound of a Ducati with a lot lower admission price and no pesky valve noise to spoil it! Seriously it is a shame such a good sounding motor is turned into a singer sewing machine by the stock exhaust. If you don't believe me look it up on youtube, the resemblince is very sad indeed :)

· Registered
220 Posts
My experience with aftermarket pipes on bikes with carbs is that some rejetting is usually required. With a closed loop FI system it takes care of retuning itself but I believe the Wee uses an open loop system with a fixed fuel map (except for an air pressure sensor which compensates for altitude I think). I don't think it has an O2 sensor in the exhaust does it?

Have you noticed any performance issues? Because it sounds better/louder it will probably sound faster and more powerful, but that can be an illusion! Any stumbling, dead spots, high rpm issues, mpg or other issues? I guess that maybe you haven't ridden it enough yet to tell if there are any problems.

Of course removing the catalytic conveter is illegal, but we all know that tight? I wonder if there would be an emissions problem in states that test bike emissions?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The wee does not use o2 sensors with a U.S. emissions package. The bike runs just fine with minor tweaks like this. As for the power, we all know there isn't much hiding in there, and any gain is very mininal. If you wanted a "fast" bike you bought the wrong one. I will post some more pictures when I get a chance. As for going off-road with this set up IMO if your in mud/sand/water/etc: to the point of going in this pipe you are an very skilled rider and have my upmost respect, and it's probably not for you. For me I appreciate the wee for what is is and leave the heavy off-road adventures for my Drz.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.