StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellows,
I am new to this forum and new to riding a Vstrom. Forgive any stupid gafs. I just bought a 2008 Vstrom with 60K. When I shift into 6th gear if feels like I am engaging a lawnmower deck. There is kind of a whine. However, the bike doesn't have any shimmy or anything. It just has a kinda of whine. Is it anything to worry about? Is that normal as the bike wears. Any advice would be appreciated.
1Judgeme!

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Some questions: is it a 1000 or a 650?

I don't understand the lawnmower analogy. When you say the whining is when you engage 6th what speed and RPM is that? Also is the whine there in any other gear? (Ie in 5th at the same speed?) Or is the whine also there at the same RPM in other gears? Is the whine heard more on one side or another?

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
My 2010 DL650 also developed a transmission whine in 6th gear from about 50K. I assume that as you travel far more in 6th gear that those gears have lost the surface that allows them to engage silently.
To me it is like the differential whine of a 1960's car. There is no vibration, and the noise is reasonably quiet but definitely there and I so assume that the gear surfaces have become pitted or worn.
It does not affect my bikes performance and so I ignore it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info

The way that Brockie described it is what it is like on my bike. The bike does not seem to perform differently, it is just that the sound is different in 6th than it is in the others. And, I have noticed that I do ride the bike in high gear often. I going to just assume it is normal wear and continue to run the thing. It's a high mileage bike. It was inexpensive and it is just a starter for me to see if I enjoy this "adventure" riding over my normal Harley street riding. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 2010 DL650 also developed a transmission whine in 6th gear from about 50K. I assume that as you travel far more in 6th gear that those gears have lost the surface that allows them to engage silently.
To me it is like the differential whine of a 1960's car. There is no vibration, and the noise is reasonably quiet but definitely there and I so assume that the gear surfaces have become pitted or worn.
It does not affect my bikes performance and so I ignore it.
That’s interesting. I ride a 2006 DL1000, and 5th gear seems to make a little more noise than the rest of the gears, not 6th. I’m guessing it’s something with the finished surfaces on that gearset like what you’re describing, and my bike only has about 32,000 miles on it. (Which actually would be around 50,000 km, now that I think about it.) I don’t worry about it, as the noise seems to be the only difference. No vibrations, grinding, etc.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My old K7 650 did the same thing. Changing to 15W50 oil over 10W40 (still JASO MA, pick your own brand) made it quieter. In the end I just used it as audible confirmation I was in 6th and ignored it. Bike never missed a beat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts