StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6th Annual Cache Rally, June 14,15,16 - 2019

(For 2019)

Don and I met in Gardiner, Montana and have picked the Yellowstone R.V. park for the site of the next years Cache rally.
Rides from Gardiner can include;
Bear Tooth Pass - 240 RT
Chief Joseph hwy - 235 RT
Yellowstone NP -
Etc etc

Details will come in a month or two.... Mark the date on your calender.

As always, this will be a no frills rally, just riding, jawing, more riding and some eating mixed in.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Looks like not a lot of grassy camping. Are you reserving a few of the RV sites or is the green grass by what looks like the shower/shitter the camping area?
Hopefully it's not the dog walk area too!
Close to town though. Seems to be food from Chinese, MExican to 'Merican and pizza up the wazzoo.
Dija mention we'd have 10-20 individual tents? Not bad prices though.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much grassier than the last place, there are three groups of tent sites, I think we'll have plenty of room in either the middle one or the western end, or maybe use both of them.
They don't have as many restrooms, but they are MUCH closer than they were at B.V. Showers are no charge (and very clean).

We can go up to three tents per site if needed...the sites are large enough to easily handle that many. I can't block out anything until late September, but I'll post here when that happens. I think they will require folks to make their own reservations on the sites I block out...we'll see.

There are a plethora of eateries to choose from, the RV park is very close to town. A grocery store with a deli is nearby.

One caveat is if your route is through Jackson, Wyoming you will be going through two National Parks...no problem if you have a annual pass, but kind of expensive if you don't.
However, if you come from the south you can go on the back side of the Tetons and access Yellowstone via the west entrance...then its just one park fee. Keep your receipt, the weekly pass is good for (you guessed it) 7 days.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Long live the "Old Fart Card". Getting there without going through the parks would really be the long way round.
I measured it. Doing the "Going to the Sun Hwy" loop is only 849 miles. 18 hours with traffic. Might be doable, eh?
Dinner might be a little late getting back.

Oh, I figured out why my front end felt odd coming and going to the Cache Rally...My steering head bearings need replacement or a good adjustment.
I felt an odd vibration that got worse with speed. Not dangerous but different. I was blaming the shape of the new 805 Shinko I had just mounted.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So no cabins. No indoor plumbing. Rooms in town are quite expensive. Might need a tent.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They don't have as many restrooms, but they are MUCH closer than they were at B.V. Showers are no charge (and very clean).
The bathrooms are modern, clean and, for an RV park, nice. They are about 40 paces from where I pitched my tent as opposed to 128 paces in Buena Vista...
Two showers, one stall, one pisser, two sinks. Another restroom on the other end of the park...I didn't pace count that one.

The Rocky Mt RV park has nice cabins...I stayed there last year, but they don't have any tent sites. Their facility is also very clean and well kept. Less than a mile away.

Long live the "Old Fart Card". Getting there without going through the parks would really be the long way round.
I measured it.
From my house (which is 'kind of' between your house and Yellowstone) the back way is the fastest, and shortest by about 72 miles. Not the 'funnest' but fastest and shortest.
The 'back way' is via Idaho Falls and entering the park at the West Yellowstone entrance.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The bathrooms are modern, clean and, for an RV park, nice. They are about 40 paces from where I pitched my tent as opposed to 128 paces in Buena Vista...
Two showers, one stall, one pisser, two sinks. Another restroom on the other end of the park...I didn't pace count that one.

The Rocky Mt RV park has nice cabins...I stayed there last year, but they don't have any tent sites. Their facility is also very clean and well kept. Less than a mile away.

From my house (which is 'kind of' between your house and Yellowstone) the back way is the fastest, and shortest by about 72 miles. Not the 'funnest' but fastest and shortest.
The 'back way' is via Idaho Falls and entering the park at the West Yellowstone entrance.

Thanks for the information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Cool beans. Heading over this way next month for the Beartooth Beemers Rally near Red Lodge. Might try to stay at this campground in Gardener on our way over. Really looking forward to finally riding Beartooth and Chief Joseph Highway. Fighting Jellystone, not so much (been there, done that). If it's as epic as I imagine, might join youse hooligans (again) next June, because... Beartooth! :var_8:

Mike
(formerly known as (Vee2) mikes and (KLR) mike jr. attending the Enterprise, OR Cache Rally a couple years ago!)

Carry on...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike
(formerly known as (Vee2) mikes and (KLR) mike jr. attending the Enterprise, OR Cache Rally a couple years ago!)

Carry on...
You missed a good one this year in Buena Vista...

We'll be heading your way in about a month, (Glacier NP to Coeur de Aline) don't let anyone start any fires ok? We had to cancel our Glacier ride last year due to fires and smoke... :crying2:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll be heading your way in about a month, (Glacier NP to Coeur de Aline) don't let anyone start any fires ok? We had to cancel our Glacier ride last year due to fires and smoke... :crying2:
The fires beat me again...well, sort of. Glacier was inaccessible from the west side (where we were) but we were able to do all the other stuff we had planned. It was a SUPER ride! blog rr here: Tombstone's Travels: 9 day northern loop (p1)

When we got home, my wife was anxious to toss our riding gear in the laundry (after nine days they hardly smelled at all!!) and I didn't get my phone out....and after all those rinse cycles my old phone is toast. So if you have me as a contact on your phone, please send me a text with your name and the winning numbers of the next lotto draw... :) and I'll put you back into my contacts.

In a couple weeks I'll post more info about the upcoming rally.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
OOps on the phone, eh? Glad you glad you had a good trip. Saw a vid of a guy and son who got caught up in the fire trying to escape it. They had to back up to get out when tree blocked their escape.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hmmm I might need to put this one on the calendar next year. I've heard great things about the Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph.

Don are you ok with a BMW joining your party?

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Ron, of course your welcome. We even had a Kawasaki cruiser join us 2 rally's ago. It will be a great area to ride. Some good routes going there to if you stay off I-90.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We had three Tenere's, a GS, and a Ducati this year....and a Strom or two... :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
All of us in the Confederate contingent have it on the calendar.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok Gang, I've made the reservations for the rally.

As per their system I had to book and pay for four (4) sites. So attendees won't need to call the RV park and make their own reservations, but will just need to let me know they are coming.

It wasn't cheap so a few days before the rally if it looks like our attendance will fall short I'll cancel one or more of the sites. Cost is $10 per person per night.

This Friday I'll be riding south of the border and don't plan to be home until early Spring....not certain what chances I'll have to get on the net, so someone will need to comment here every so often to keep the thread fresh :) (if you want to follow along with my ride, my blog address is on my sig line)

I'm looking forward to seeing all the usual suspects next June, and meeting new.....uummmmm....suspects! See you then!!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts