StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Just got a new DL 650 - will ride it home ( about 40 miles) then park it for the winter ( In Vermont ). Given the low use and new condition is it necessary to pull the plugs and drop oil in the cylinders as they recommend. I am fine with it but lifting the tank to access the rear plug is going to be a hassle with freezing fingers.

Thanks

Tashi

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
For less than a year of storage, it isn't necessary. I would just store it with a full tank of fuel. Add a fuel stabilizer for the ride home then fill it up using the proper amount of stabilizer when you get home. Everybody has their favorite. I'm happy with Sta-Bil marine formula in blue for treating fuel containing ethanol.

If you want to fog the cylinders and the bike is a 2007 or later, there is a second spark plug on the side of each cylinder that is easier to access.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The stabilized gas will probably burn fine in the spring. If you're in doubt then, you can siphon most out and refill with fresh gas. Put the oil gas into your car's tank--it'll mix and burn with fresh gas there.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The first option would be to ride it whenever you get a dry day. If that's not an option, do as the others suggest. Be sure to fill the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
For less than a year of storage, it isn't necessary. I would just store it with a full tank of fuel. Add a fuel stabilizer for the ride home then fill it up using the proper amount of stabilizer when you get home. Everybody has their favorite. I'm happy with Sta-Bil marine formula in blue for treating fuel containing ethanol.
That's pretty much my routine. Add Sta-Bil Marine, top off tank, short ride to get it into the system, garage it, and then cover. I also park the front tire on a rubber door mat (probably really vinyl) and then connect the Battery Tender. It's good till spring.

·
Registered
325 Posts
+1 on what they said..... and don't be starting it periodically, let it hibernate until spring. Just my opinon, but oil in the cylinders is optional, and it won't hurt.... I've never done it on any bike. Lawn mowers, yes, or a fogging spray you can spray in the carbs or throttle bodies or spark plug holes.

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
The word "winterize" just makes me puke a bit in my mouth.

·
Super Moderator
16,863 Posts
Gonna be in the 40's here in Ohio over the up and coming weekend, I will be smoking pork butts and riding my butt off! :hurray:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts