StromTrooper banner

650 Wee mysteriously not starting

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  NateHarris 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2008 DL650 ABS

After a couple hours of twisties, I re-entered civilization... approached a country intersection stop sign.

As we all do, I pulled in the clutch, shifted to first gear and coasted to a stop.
I then proceeded to let the clutch out and proceed in first gear. The tachometer needle began to climb gently to about 4k then hiccuped and stalled.
I shifted to neutral, pulled in the clutch, hit the starter button.
The starter did its thing, but no start... as though I had run out of gas. I was sure I had about 1/4 of a tank left, but was surprised to look down and see zero fuel bars.

I waddled to the shoulder of the road and called a friend who brought me a gallon of 91 octane, which I gratefully poured into the tank.
I attempted to start the bike several times, expecting it to fire right up, but... nothing. Just cranking and cranking.

That's when I noticed the tachometer needle was stuck at +/- 4k RPM. Turning the key to the off position did nothing to change that. On... crank... nothing... off... wait... repeat. Nothing. Tach still showing 4k RPM.

I left the bike and towed it home in my truck where it now sits as I write this post, pausing at interval to scratch my head in confusion.
The only other thing I can think to mention is that the guy I bought the bike from (about a month ago) had removed the charcoal canister, explaining that it became clogged, so he removed it. The bike is in immaculate shape otherwise, despite having about 28k miles on the odometer.

Any ideas? :)

Again... thanks in advance. This is my first post. It's great to see that there are so many helpful and enthusiastic Wee riders on here!

Jason

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a weird one since it broke after it was going well for a while. I guess you ruled out the gas, but I wonder if it is something electrical. The fact that the tach shows high seems weird. I know when alternators go they do some odd things with the gauges, but I've usually seen them jump up and down (and mostly head down), not stay at a given number. My best guess is something electrical, perhaps compounded with a safety limiter that is making it so you can no longer start the bike "for safety reasons".

#3 ·
Key on...do you have lights?

#6 ·
The thing cranks so the battery is okay as well as the starter motor. The stuck tach bothers me but no FI says the fueling should be okay too. The thing that usually works with no FI and a cranking starter motor is to open the throttle. The usual problem is flooding and more air helps with that. Make sure the fuel pump is audible though.

Beyond that check for spark in both cylinders and even try a compression check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.