StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the 650 vstrom. I think its a great all arounder and hope to get one in the near future. the problem is that all my riding buddies have 1000 - 1300 sport and sport touring bikes. Whenever I mention the vstrom 650 they say: Why would you want a girls bike? or its a great bike if your a girl. I know alot of women ride them but is it really a girls bike? i don't want to be the laughing stock when I go riding with my buddies.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
nope

the EX250 (Ninjette) is a girls bike

·
Registered
15 Posts
In short, No!

The 650 may not have 120hp, nor will it go 100mph in 2nd gear, but it is probably the best value around for a bike that can tour, canyon carve, commute, and do light off road. The Versys and a few other "middleweight" bikes are also good versatile machines. (Ninja 650, SV650, NC700X, ect)
I also don't care what my riding co workers and friends think of my bikes. I bought them for me. I also have more fun than should be allowed on a 18 hp TU250x. That bike often gets treated as a learner / girls bike. However many of the people riding them are long time riders, or returning riders.
I've been riding 20 years, and like each of my bikes for its intended purpose.

Ryan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmmmm so the wee is a girls bike eh ..... is that what you think ???? if not [email protected]#k what they say and buy one. While they are filling up you can just ride on by and wave.
While they are spending there cash on tyres you buy your self some farkles.
While they are going the long way around , you take the shortcut through the dirt roads and tell them you will meet up with them.
Just asking :mrgreen:
Otherwise call Dr Phil and get his opinion :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I really like the 650 vstrom. I think its a great all arounder and hope to get one in the near future. the problem is that all my riding buddies have 1000 - 1300 sport and sport touring bikes. Whenever I mention the vstrom 650 they say: Why would you want a girls bike? or its a great bike if your a girl. I know alot of women ride them but is it really a girls bike? i don't want to be the laughing stock when I go riding with my buddies.
If your buddies diss you for riding a 650 'Strom they are idiots and not worthy of your friendship.

You need to get some new friends if that's the way your present ones act.

Besides, I have a DL1000. I'm a woman. Does that make the Vee a woman's bike?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Based on what you're saying, you probably shouldn't buy one. Buy the bike your buddies tell you is cool. Maybe one day they will tell you that wearing a helmet and gear is for sissies, and you can quit doing that too.

Or maybe it's just easier to get new friends who don't have so much influence on how you live your life.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you're more concerned about what people think about the bike you ride than about how much you enjoy riding it, then the Wee probably isn't fhe right bike for you.

If you need to ride a motorcycle to stroke your ego, a couple other brands come to mind.

I put up with lots of stupid comments from riders of big dualsports while I put thousands of miles on my TW200 and their $15, 000 bikes collected dust.

Either grow a pair and ride what you want or live your life living up to others expectations.

I probably shouldn't post this, but here goes the submit reply button......

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a DL650 and the last time I checked I'm a dude. A dude that rides with my wife on the back all summer long.

I'm thinking your pals might want another mechanic in the group. If you get a Wee put your tools away and ride.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am a former active duty US Marine and I just parked my HD Softail to buy me an '09 Wee. Last time I checked I too was male. Any of my friends don't want to ride with me....see ya. Making new friends here that I believe will be doing some riding with me this year. Old friends replaced.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: gt750

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dumb Ass

:headbang: Here's a good story. A friend had a Stratoliner paid for. He rode my Strom and traded his bike for a Tiger 800 saying how much fun a lighter bike was to ride. ( I did my best to tell him the 650 Strom was a better bargain)His buddies came down for the winter and made fun of him. He had to finance the Tiger for 6K with his Yammi to get it. I don't see him all bike week and I found out he traded the Tiger on a new Stratoliner. He's now well over 10K in debt with a seven year loan and has the exact same bike he started with. His friends already left to go back north. What a dumb ass.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a DL650 and a ST1300. Both are great bikes.

I have been places on the DL650 that would totally trash out the ST1300. So, it seems to me that they are saying that a girl's bike can handle rides that are too tough for their bikes, or them.

You need to find new people to ride with.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Can't tell if serious... :confused:

Anyhow, I guess there are people that compensate for things by engine sizes and HP (not saying that all are, relax if you ride a Vee). They usually can't ride for more than an hour as their super manly bikes resemble torture machines and are uncomfortable.

You need to relax and get what you feel will provide the combo of fun, functionality and will fulfill the goal why you are getting a bike. Again, I gave up asking my liter sport bike rider friends to go for a ride. They find it unbelievable that I'd do 500+ mile day on my 'girly' bike! They'd be trailering it there. :green_lol:

And, BTW, where are those bunches of Wee-riding women you speak of? I know of few members here but for many, a Strom proves on a very tall ride...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I remember in high school there was this really hot girl that wanted to go out with me. But my buddies said she was this, that, and another thing. I was young and dumb and believed my friends and didn't ask her out. About a month later my most vocal pal was dating her!

They were jealous that she wanted to go out with me, and they were a perusing her at the same time. I learned my lesson,

One month and two days she was with me.

Dump your pals and ride what you want.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts