StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys

I have a K7 Vstrom 650 and I weigh 110kg..I only had the bike for like the last 5000km ... but the previous owner was also my size, so it didnt really help lol.. now the bike has 49k Km on the clock and the shock is done, I al currently looking to replace the shock but I cannot afford a new or aftermarket shock, and I was dumbstruck when I found out that the stock shock is a Sealed unit.. and it looks like pretty old tech.. very sad.. so now I have two options, I can buy a used shock and I dont know what I get (I have sourced one for a good price) , or 2, I managed to track down someone who rebuilds and services shocks, they even rebuild sealed units, they do it in a specialized chamber, the shock gets cut open and stuff replaced, icl nitrogen and oil and seals.. and then the thing is welded shut again.. well at least this is how they explained it to me...

now my question is, before I make a decision... Someone told me that people swap out the DL650 shock for a DL1000 one.. and they fit.. only they are slightly longer which makes for a bit higher ride height.. is this true? I tried to google this and the swopouts but I am not successful.

any advice here would greatly be appreciated guys. thanks

regards

·
Registered
15,543 Posts
I'd like to know too. Increases the possibilities of dead shock repairs.
Ride height increase might be good for cornering!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's true. The Vee shock will fit and is slightly longer. However, it will still be too lightly sprung and not adjustable without modification. I would look for an aftermarket shock first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's true. The Vee shock will fit and is slightly longer. However, it will still be too lightly sprung and not adjustable without modification. I would look for an aftermarket shock first.
Thanks bud, I have checked and there is absolute NO way I can afford that.. Its like R6000 (ZAR) minimum and that is without shipping and import taxes... I can get a 2nd hand shock from a place locally called "Bike hospital" for R1500... But not sure what the condition is. And then there is the option of getting my shock redone by a dude that does this cutting open and welding the thing for about the same price.. I dont know which route to take though. I was thinking if the DL1000 shock is stronger or maybe better to rather get a 2nd hand one of those at the same place if they have...

Mmm... Not sure what to do

·
38,103 Posts
The DL1000 shock is slightly better as it has a piston separating the gas and oil. It still is not a great shock though and would need a new spring at least.

·
38,103 Posts
As I said, the DL1000 shock is slightly better.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I put a '12 1000 with 5 K miles on my '07 650. I did notice it doing a better job dampening. It is longer, not much. It was still under sprung, so I put a heavier spring (600/10.7) on it. Some don't notice the dampening change with the heavier spring, I do. Still, the stronger springs are needed front & rear for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hve a dl 1000 shock on my 08 650. it was re-valved and re-sprung first by sasquach, then recently tuned up by cogent dynamics. it does a good job, loads better than stock.
perhaps you can get the dl1000 shock and have a suspension shop respiring and valve it for you.

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mcrag is right. I do take the stock OEM shocks and turn them into an aftermarket shock. To be fair, there is also a competitor out there that also does the same thing. I have been doing it since 2008. I take your shock, machine the body so it is rebuildable, install a nitrogen port for filling, custom build the valving stacks for you personally, and then install a new, custom spring to suit your loads. $300 + shipping.

It can be done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does that $300 include spring cost? What can you for the the front? I'm looking at getting a 650 and am a bigger guy (6'4" and 240lbs) and am now concerned with what I've been reading on shocks and how much better it can be when properly dampened and sprung.

·
Registered
55 Posts
$300 is complete for the shock including spring. Front end you have options. Mandatory is a rebuild and a new set of proper springs. You can probably do the rebuild yourself, then just install the new springs. This is good for 80% of my customers. If you need more performance, add Race Tech gold valves to them as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've just replaced the stock front springs, in my 09 Wee, with linear springs from Sonic, better matched in for my weight (200lbs) No doubt about it, the improvement has been very noticeable. I suspect that anything, compared to the worn out stock springs/oil would have been an improvement. lol This was the least expensive way to start getting things upgraded. After reading countless threads regarding emulators, intiminators, etc,...I still can't decide if I need to go any further. The opinions seem to vary so widely, which can partly be accounted for by the rider's varying preferences, biases, and hardware.

For the rear, it seems that Sasquatch gets you a lot of bang for the buck, by rebuilding your OEM unit. From there, it seems that almost everything sits between $500-$1200.00 for a better rear shock. I don't know about you, but I find that really hard to swallow. My biggest concern is, how to know how much do I really need, and how much is overkill? And will it translate into a tangible benefit? FYI - At this point I'm 90-95% street, and a modestly aggressive rider.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts