StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 6'1" and go about 275. Would i be happy on the 650. I don't care a thing in the world about speed. I just want something that has enough power for my laidback riding style. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Both the DL's are designed for people around 160 lbs to 180lbs in my opinion.

I weigh 240lbs and previously owned a DL1000. I think the 650 will handle and brake better then the 1000, they share some of the same components. Either bike you will have to up grade the suspension unless you like a soft ride.

The best way to know if the 650 will work for you is to test ride one.
I'am also looking at the 650, my plan is to test ride one with a large duffle bag on the back.

good luck

Scooter

·
Registered
351 Posts
Where I live the dl650 are hot sellers; I can't find one to test ride. I'm going to test ride a SV650 to get an idea of what the motor is like. My main concern for the heavier rider is that the motor will be over worked and may be stressed to much. If you are going to mainly commute or ride the bike with no gear or passenger the bike may work for you. I have a feeling I will go back to the 1000 because I like to carry lots of gear or ride two up. It will be hard for me to go down in cc's.

Scooter

·
Registered
351 Posts
RJWINZ

What are you using the bike for ? light duty or fully loaded.

The cheapest upgrade for the rear shock is adding a spacer washer. This will give you more preload.

Scooter

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, one of the best bikes for back problems. Myself L5-S1 I can tour for long distances on this bike, real comfy, although I have purchased the Butt Buffer pad for the seat.

For my purposes the Dl1000 would probably be a better choice. ie. camping with the elephant testies, two up riding.

I wish the 1000 was a little less weighty in the city. doesn't stop quick enough.

The 650 is probably impressive with 40lbs less and the same brakes and suspension as big brother.

Scooter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D well, I went and bought the blue 650 today. No second guessing, this baby will easily do anything I want it to do. I am impressed with the smooth power of the v-twin. I only have 130 miles that I put on it riding it home today, but i'm looking for any excuse to ride it.

G

·
0 Posts
weight

I am 6'3" 260lbs mostly muscle and the 650 feels awsome the power is there to. This bike is not made just for a 160lbs or 180lbs guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts