StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 650 and it is great. However, I came off of a Bandit 1250s. I feel a need for more oomph. Has anyone traded their 650 for a 1000 (2014), and, if so, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a 2007 DL1000 and now have a 2012 DL650A. In between I had an FZ1 and a KLR 650. Although I'm 6', 185#, I found the DL1000 too tall and top heavy. The FZ1 was a wonderful bike with lots of "ooompf", but I was getting older and wanted to slow things down a bit. May have over-reacted in buying the KLR 650, which was nothing if not pokey. However, the 2012 DL6540A is JUST RIGHT for where I'm at in cycling. I think it has plenty of power for the kind of riding I do -- I rarely ride 2-up.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I have a 2013 650 and it is great. However, I came off of a Bandit 1250s. I feel a need for more oomph. Has anyone traded their 650 for a 1000 (2014), and, if so, what are your thoughts?
Hey Loud9K, welcome aboard.

Have had a 2012 650 for nearly 1 & 1/2 years now, and love it. I came off sport bikes (I still have a ZX9R) and I knew I was going to be downgrading in the power. But the 650 is a really surprising engine, it is a lot more torquier than I thought it would be, and the power is very surprising. You do have to work a little harder for it, but it will keep with bigger bikes very well.:yesnod:

But I recently took the new 2014 1000 for a ride, and it was so good to have that "oomph" back again. :thumbup:

It has such a strong pull in the low end, and gets up and hustles really well out of corners. I revved the 1000 the same as my 650 in a lot of places, and the 1000 was well into the illegal zone very quickly :yikes:

I will be trading for the new 1000 later this year (Spring in Aus) as I had planned to keep the 650 for two years, plus there are no real accessories available for the 1000 yet.

Plus I have heard rumours that Suzuki may be looking at doing an "adventure" version of the 1000 with wire wheels and more clearance, so I at least want to see if this comes about for 2015.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BobRench and Zedx9r, thanks for the input and the welcome. I, like you, wanted to slow things down a bit; I thought. The Vstrom is a fantastic little bike and proabably the nicest I have owned:
Aprilia Scarabeo 500, Tmax 500, Boulevard C90, DR650, Bandit 1250s.
It's just, I do not feel that top end "zing" a read about and it seems stop pulling very hard at around 80mph or so. What's wrong with that? Nothing I suppose. The fuel mileage is off the charts. maybe it is because I live in Florida and it's all straight and flat here. Most other bikes are "HOGS" and "super bikes". Also, we have tons of Ferraris and so forth in town. I would just hate to get outpaced by a car.
I went with the vstrom because it is relatively light weight and I love my DR650. So, I thought it might be a good compromise. However, based on the words of zedex9r, I'm sure I will soon find myself negotiating, with myself, many a night hence forth.
Cheers to both of you.

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Get the new Vee2, I doubt you would regret it! ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
IF the 650 had a turbo boost that would give an extra few pounds of torque at mid revs, and even if it was limited to 5% of miles traveled, then even two up I'd not be considering the 1 litre bike. Now if Suzuki did a 500cc and 800cc and 1 litre bike, that would be interesting!

And I know it's the idiot that's attached to the throttle that opens it, and it doesn't have to be opened fully / as much, but if you have all that power there, why waste it? I know my ability to open a throttle vastly exceeds the rest of my biking ability :frown:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome Loud9K and thanks for starting this thread. I also have a 2013 DL650, have owned a 2009 DL650 as well as a KLR and find myself lusting for a bit more roll-on power. Why? Just for fun...

I'm being tempted by both the Triumph Tiger 800 (not the xc) and the new Strom 1K as well.

Not to thread jack you but I've ridden the Tiger and it is a ton of fun. The triple is sweet. I'm looking forward to riding the Strom1K at some point.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Am I the only one who is not a huge fan of the new design of the 2014 dl1000?

I am not sure I like the direction they went with the styling, with the single head light (well it's 2, but not side by side) and smaller fairing. I am a much bigger fan of the 2012+ dl650, I think it's a sportier looking bike personally. I am also not a big fan of the beak.

Dont get me wrong, I am sure the 2014 DL1000 is a great bike over all, just not for me.

·
Registered
261 Posts

I am not sure I like the direction they went with the styling, with the single head light (well it's 2, but not side by side) and smaller fairing. I am a much bigger fan of the 2012+ dl650, I think it's a sportier looking bike personally. I am also not a big fan of the beak.

Dont get me wrong, I am sure the 2014 DL1000 is a great bike over all, just not for me.
The styling of the new 1000 is keeping me from wanting one, I agree that the newer 650 without that silly beak looks much better.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The styling of the new 1000 is keeping me from wanting one, I agree that the newer 650 without that silly beak looks much better.
:iagree:

If I was to replace my 650 with a bigger displacement bike I would go for the S10.

But for now I prefer to keep the Strom.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interested

I"m interested in the new 1000, but I really like my 2012 dl650. My limited experience with the new Strom is just sitting on one in the showroom. The ergo's aren't compelling enough for me to switch. The 650 might even be roomier . If the weather ever cooperates I'll take it for a ride. Maybe not though. I'm not in the bigger is better camp. What interests me most is the traction control on the 1000, but the miles per tank on mine is Awesome! There are trade offs with everything in life. I have never met a biker that is completely satisfied. That is why we are obsessed with every thing 2 wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome Loud9K and thanks for starting this thread. I also have a 2013 DL650, have owned a 2009 DL650 as well as a KLR and find myself lusting for a bit more roll-on power. Why? Just for fun...

I'm being tempted by both the Triumph Tiger 800 (not the xc) and the new Strom 1K as well.

Not to thread jack you but I've ridden the Tiger and it is a ton of fun. The triple is sweet. I'm looking forward to riding the Strom1K at some point.
PNW: I really feel the same way and I don't want to discount the wee at all. It's a fantastic bike. Now, I also love a triple and I have a buddy with the tiger 800 XC. Hmmm... For the price I think I would stick with the 650 or upgrade to the 1000. the Tiger is great but it "falls" into corners and sits at a nose bleed altitude. Still, it's a smooth operator. That said, I'm not sure what it can do the wee can't (save the stupid oil filter hanging out front) and I do not think it is a whole lot faster. But to each his own. My buddy wouldn't trade his Tiger for anything and he has 6 other bikes including the Street Triple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oop North John. The mere mention of a turbo gets my tail feather shaking. If Suzuki comes out with the recursion (spelling?) I'm gong to be at the dealership trading 2 bikes; perhaps in haste. I have always had turbo cars and I've always 'enhanced" them. I'm a sucker for a turbo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It think it's a trend. Ducati and BMW (and others) now Suzuki. I quite like it but I will, in the future, give others a really good idea of the era it was built. Like the big bubbly fairings of the 80's.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Before you make the big move, maybe you should take a rider course. It will shift your focus away from the horsepower you're missing to focus on using skills while riding that don't require horsepower.

Or buy a 250cc. Many years ago I bought a DR250 after coming off of an FJ1200 (120hp torque monster) and found a new appreciation of skills that the horsepower had been masking.

Either way, no matter what you're riding..... 250cc, 650cc, 1000cc, or 8230 Boss Hoss.....If you're not having fun when you have your helmet on you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can't afford (don't want the debt) another new bike but otherwise I'd be looking at the 1K. I very much like my WeeII but it could use a tad more git.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts