StromTrooper banner
1241 - 1251 of 1251 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
with regard to all of this discussion. the 650 vs the 1000... i say either are just as good or no good off road....IMHO. That said, money no object... the 1000 for street and light duty non street... and a sweet KTM 390 & a camper to take to your off-road place etc.
If your riding preference is not to gnarly, the Suzuki 400 cc thumper is a great choice.
The father of a girl I dated in high school is in his 80's and owns a KTM 390 and a BMW 1200. I visited in July when I was in town and he took me to some awesome twisty roads near Kingston Ontario. He goes back to racing bikes in the 60's and I had to really work my 865 Bonneville to keep up with him on his KTM. He mostly only uses the BMW when his wife wants to come too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
+1 on that as a 2nd toy. Had a TS400J in the mid 1980's as a long term loan to settle a debt (bike turned out to be stolen-glad I was never pulled over). Gobs of power, had a few quirks, lots of fun, not crazy heavy if memory serves. That cc range on an off road oriented dual sport is perfect for me
#metoo. I have a Tdub for strictly off-road ventures. It’s a tractor on 2 wheels lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's not lifting it, it's a bit more cumbersome and heavier than the 40lb suggests, mainly because a lot of that weight is higher on the 1000. So it's the points where you might crash unless you take action I probably wouldn't on the 650, probably would on the 1000, or at least drop it more often.

The 650 was too heavy, but it's slightly less reach to the ground turns easier and it was just possible to save it from spills. The 1000 no way, once it starts tipping I'm not going to be able to stop it. Similar issue in other dodgy circumstances, like ooops, a bit fast. The better brakes on the 1000 don't help on gravel, the 650 I could bury the nose in the ground and stop the backend swinging, the 1000, probably not.

Less weight is the clear win off road, power don't enter in to it. From the revs I typically used (<5k), probably 30'ish HP is enough. The other winner is how slowly you can ride the bike, the 650 wins there as well.
Actually we did a scale test where we laid the 650 and the 1000 on the ground and we placed a refrigeration scale on the ground where the contact it to measure the weight you would be lifting to pick it up. The 1000 was 2 1/4 pounds heavier to lift on one side and 4 lbs on other side. Probably because of exhaust. That’s hardly a difference. Also the 1000 has a norrower frame which makes it easier to get your legs down to the ground. I actually found the 1000 easier to sit on when I test drive both at the dealer, and the better brakes, engin and suspension sealed the deal for me, but everyone is different, they are both awesome.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I have both :). The gen 2 650 is way easier to handle offroad though the 1000 does feel good until things get marginal. The 1000 is less likely to tip than my Gen 1 650 was (wide bike) and that got dropped at 0 speed quite often. My gen 2 650 has never hit the ground, I can stop that part way down and haul it back upright, the 1000 is less likely to lie down than my gen 1 650, but unlike my gen 2 once it's headed that way I can't stop it.

If you were taller and stronger than me, the 1000 v 650 issue likely is 'meh', but where you are on the edge anyway there is a difference.

·
Administrator
14,375 Posts
I have both :). The gen 2 650 is way easier to handle offroad though the 1000 does feel good until things get marginal. The 1000 is less likely to tip than my Gen 1 650 was (wide bike) and that got dropped at 0 speed quite often. My gen 2 650 has never hit the ground, I can stop that part way down and haul it back upright, the 1000 is less likely to lie down than my gen 1 650, but unlike my gen 2 once it's headed that way I can't stop it.

If you were taller and stronger than me, the 1000 v 650 issue likely is 'meh', but where you are on the edge anyway there is a difference.
What generation of 1000 are you talkling about?
..Tom

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Gen 2. 2014.

I disliked the Gen 1 1000 so much I avoided buying one of those but Gen 2 1000 ticked my boxes as a mainly back road road touring bike and I waited until one turned up second hand at a price and condition I liked. It has done unsealed roads by mistake, probably 40k's of road reconstruction and the like and moving at speed it feels better than the 650. The problem with riding off road is that you can't do it all at 80kph and slow it was challenging. I could really feel the weight in slow turns, and unlike the 650 where the front sliding out wasn't a big deal the 1000 took real effort to muscle back into line.

That's me, relatively short, reasonably strong but not much stamina (heart has a rev limitter these days). Someone tall fit & strong, not such a big deal. I managed to drop it a couple of times at really low speeds and as noted, once it's beyond 60 degrees or so, I can't stop it. The Gen 2 650 I can catch at any point on the way down and muscle it back up from the seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My decision was based on weight. I thought 'Do I want a 470lb ADV bike as my first ADV-lite bike or a 520lb bike?' As a skinny ass weakling I decided to go smaller. I had an '05 SV650S earlier in life, so I kinda knew what to expect, too.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Dropped the 1000 again yesterday. Stopped to see if a friend was home, gates shut so I started to turn in his driveway (which I've done before) and whoops. Steep uphill area at the start of his drive (runoff area top the gutter basically). No major damage to anything but my pride, I managed to get it back up from lying head down on a 30 degree slope with the help of the strap I keep under the seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to be derogatory, it's a curiosity question. I've no doubt the "Wee" Strom is a lot of fun for a little while then I can't help wondering if the "Wish I got the litrebike" question doesn't rear it's head.

The DL1000 has a top engine but a lot of weight to carry around compared to a sports bike, does the 650 not get very wheezy when you just want to have fun and hoof it up to ..... fun speeds, and want to launch out of a corner when you spy the exit.

I'm sure as a commuter for day to day use the 650 is a good choice but touring with luggage, even a pillion ......??

To repeat .... a n00b question of curiosity:rolleyes:

Grrrr:)
I have a 2014 1000, should have bought the 650, A lot easier to live with offroad...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just get one...

The 1k is one -powerful- beast. I wouldn't recommend one for a new rider. You can get into trouble if you don't have much experience riding a rocket ship.

The price on the 1K sounds pretty good though. Either bike will have WAY enough power for you...

:rolleyes:
I rode a really nice DL1000, looking to buy it. Compared to the 2003 FZ1 I was coming from... the DL dog, nowhere near the performance. That, and the engine had a LOT of roughness under about 4k. I didn't buy that DL. I also rode a DL650... it was a lot closer in performance to the DL1000, than the DL1000 is to an FZ1. The 650 motor felt MUCH smoother than the 1000. I might get one.

1241 - 1251 of 1251 Posts