StromTrooper banner

1201 - 1206 of 1206 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
All boils down to the HP.....if you're fine with maybe not being able to pull off a chancey triple car overtake on a two lane road, then the 650 will be fine. I deliberately got the 650 because I know I'd not be able to stay off the horsepower if I had a 1000cc bike. It was a decision based upon survival.
Yep, this has occurred to me as well. I don't completely lack self control, but even on the FZ I've needed to remind myself to take it easy. The Vstrom makes similar peak hp, but more of it is available down low. I don't know if that will be a good or bad thing in terms of self-preservation. It really does come down to the nut behind the handlebars.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So I'm new here and haven't read this entire thread, can someone summarize for me? What's the verdict?:p

I'm still tossing around the 650/1000 debate myself. I've ridden and SV650, never a 'strom of any kind. There is DL1000 for rent on Twisted Road near me, but he wants $200/day for it. I currently ride an Fz6, which couldn't be more different. Pretty much the other end of the spectrum in terms of power delivery. The FZ has big top end rush and delivers 90rwhp at 11.5K rpm but no low-end to speak of. The DL650 would suit me better most of the time, but I worry I would miss the ponies which has me leaning toward the 1000. I do like having that little something extra when you need some getaway speed.
It would be a well spent $200.00. You would kill two birds with one stone. Scratch the riding itch and see if that is the bike for you. The 2108 DL1000 & up has better shocks, brakes, motor, electronics than the 650. Is it better enough to justify the purchase, that is up for you to be the judge. With 2018 and 2019's having deep discounts it was a very easy decision for me and many others. I road both. I will take my wife on the occasional ride. I am 6ft and ready to ride ( ATGATT) I add 245 pounds to the back of Strom. The 1000 does the job just fine. It is easier to adjust the valves on the 1000. When I don't put the "beans" to it, I can average ~ 50mpg. I will never be able to understand those who buy a lower power motorcycle and justify that by talking about how they may go to fast?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
All boils down to the HP.....if you're fine with maybe not being able to pull off a chancey triple car overtake on a two lane road, then the 650 will be fine. I deliberately got the 650 because I know I'd not be able to stay off the horsepower if I had a 1000cc bike. It was a decision based upon survival.

It's more than horsepower.

The 1000 has much better brakes, suspension and components.There's good reasons it costs a third more than the 650. A side by side comparison is revealing!

BTW the 0-60 times are pretty close between the 650 and the 1000. Both are way quicker than most all cars on the road. Survival is about making good decisions while riding not what bike you're on!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's more than horsepower.

The 1000 has much better brakes, suspension and components.There's good reasons it costs a third more than the 650. A side by side comparison is revealing!

BTW the 0-60 times are pretty close between the 650 and the 1000. Both are way quicker than most all cars on the road. Survival is about making good decisions while riding not what bike you're on!
It may come down to money for me in the end. There are a couple new '18 models near me, both the 650 and 1000. There's around a $2500 dollar difference between them. I am sure it is justified, I just need to decide if it works for my budget. I think part of the reason people labor over the decision to get the 650 or the 1000 is there is almost no wrong answer.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I thought about writing close to the same justification for the 650. I'd certainly use the power and speed if I had it. I get to borrow a ZX14R every now and then. Always glad to hand the keys back. Fun, but I lack the self control for something that fast.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same , if I had a thou I'm not so sure I'd trust my judgement for overtakes cos I'm getting older ( eyesight , reaction times ) , yeah , yeah just knowing me I'd just wanna gun it too often .
Feel safer riding a 650 though miss the torque of a bigger bike from time to time .
Sure like the look of the latest 1050

1201 - 1206 of 1206 Posts